Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second subsection of Book 1, what does Xenophon deny Socrates has done?
(a) Spoke to the gods.
(b) Met the Oracle of Delphi.
(c) Bribed him for protection.
(d) Had a negative effect on the youth.
2. What are the standards of virtue as seen by Socrates?
(a) Wealth and slave owning.
(b) Time management and athletic ability.
(c) Patience is the only virtue according to Socrates.
(d) Wisdom, justice, self-control, and piety.
3. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
(a) Releasing animals from their cages.
(b) They started a fire.
(c) As oligarchs.
(d) Committing treason.
4. Who is Hermogenes' father?
5. What is the general point of Book 2?
(a) To show Socrates as a deity.
(b) To show Socrates did not corrupt his friends.
(c) To show how Socrates could not be trusted.
(d) To show the weaknesses in Socrates' logic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Meletus see Socrates doing?
2. Why does the Editor present Socrates Defense first?
3. What had Socrates decided that made him appear arrogant, according to Xenophon?
4. What is Socrates' view on democracy?
5. Subsection 8 shows Socrates interacting with ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Socrates act out of public piety to show his students how to live good lives?
2. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
3. What does Socrates tell Critobulus about living in poverty in the second subsection of Chapter 4?
4. According to Xenophon why was Socrates convicted, and how was his fate appropriate?
5. How do the men at the dinner party react to seeing the passionate kissing between Ariadne and Dionysus?
6. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
7. What did Socrates try to teach Chaerephon and Chaerecrates in Subsection 3 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
8. Why does Socrates argue that those who are well off cannot distance themselves from agriculture?
9. How does Xenophon define the concept to the "true good" in Chapter 2, Book 1?
10. Why doesn't Socrates prepare for his defense before the trial?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)