|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
(a) As oligarchs.
(b) Committing treason.
(c) They started a fire.
(d) Releasing animals from their cages.
2. What does Socrates teach Crito in subsection 9?
(a) How to sing.
(b) How to find refuge from social interaction.
(c) A new recipe for wine.
(d) How to escape from prison.
3. What did the gods oppose Socrates doing in his own view?
(a) Using force to defend himself.
(b) Showing humility.
(d) Working on his defense.
4. How does Xenophon divide the Memoirs of Socrates?
(a) Directly in half.
(b) Into four books of largely the same length.
(c) Into eight books with four chapters each.
(d) He doesn't divide it all.
5. How does Xenophon end his discussion in subsection 10?
(a) By recounting a discussion between Socrates and Diodorus.
(b) By allowing Socrates to leave.
(c) By condemning Socrates as a heretic.
(d) By questioning his own authority.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plato think of Socrates' defense at the trial?
2. What is the main theme compared to in Chapter 2?
3. How does Socrates teach his associates they should act in respect to food, drink, sex, and sleep?
4. What does Hermogenes claim could be the outcome of the trial?
5. What does the editor emphasize should not prevent you from using worldly goods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Socrates' conversation with Aristippus illustrate that he encouraged his friends to be self-disciplined with regard to their bodily desires?
2. What does Socrates say in response to the charge of corrupting the young?
3. What does Socrates tell Cristobulus he should do in order to deserve good friends who are also good people?
4. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
5. Why did Socrates have an arrogant tone at his trial according to Xenophon?
6. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
7. What does Socrates tell his oldest son when Lamprodes is angry with his mother Xanthippe?
8. How did Socrates' instruction benefit Crito in subsection 9 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
9. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
10. What positive aspects does Socrates list about the possibility of being convicted of the charges brought against him?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)