|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Critias and Alcibiades control while under Socrates tutelage?
(a) Their natural vices.
(b) All the wealth in Athens.
(c) Socrates' finances.
(d) The fate of all of Greece.
2. What does Socrates tell Critobulus he should do to deserve good people in his life?
(a) Sacrifice himself to the gods.
(b) Make himself a good man.
(c) Ignore the views of the government.
(d) Buy his friends.
3. What makes the Memoirs of Socrates hard to date?
(a) Socrates himself denounced the writings.
(b) It is written with horrible grammar.
(c) The document is in pieces.
(d) The conversations are poorly organized.
4. Why does Socrates believe he is rich when Antiphon questions his modest lifestyle?
(a) The money he has hidden.
(b) He has the favor of the gods.
(c) The notoriety he has attained.
(d) His philosophical pursuits.
5. What does Socrates tell Critobulus should be valued above all else?
(c) Good friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say is the best defense he could have?
2. Socrates claims he is not a slave to __________.
3. Socrates believes Lamprocles has ample reason to be grateful to _____________.
4. How does Socrates argue one can modify someone else's behavior?
5. What does Socrates argue no one has done because of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Socrates act out of public piety to show his students how to live good lives?
2. Why doesn't Socrates prepare for his defense before the trial?
3. What does Socrates tell Cristobulus he should do in order to deserve good friends who are also good people?
4. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
5. In subsection 1 of Chapter 2, Book 1, what does Xenophon say about Socrates in defense of the charges that he worshiped different gods than the state and introduced new deities?
6. Why did Socrates have an arrogant tone at his trial according to Xenophon?
7. What does Socrates tell his oldest son when Lamprodes is angry with his mother Xanthippe?
8. In subsection 4 of Chapter 2, Book 1, how did Socrates motivate people to start being good?
9. How does Xenophon feel about the accusation that Socrates turned his students against their parents? How does he feel Athens should have felt about Socrates?
10. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)