|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Xenophon argue Socrates could not lead people to do?
(a) Completely live in a truly good fashion.
(b) Lead a revolt in Athens.
(c) Work in his garden.
(d) Commit sacrilege.
2. What were Socrates' friends doing that mystified him?
(a) Chanting his name.
(b) Praying for his release.
(c) Calling him God.
(d) Crying as he was led away.
3. Socrates claims he is not a slave to __________.
(a) The government.
(b) The wages of death.
(c) His bodily desires.
(d) Any religion.
4. What does Book 2 show Socrates did?
(a) Encourage his friends to be good.
(b) Commit blasphemy against the gods.
(c) Encourage people to be violent.
(d) Promote civil unrest.
5. What is free action according to the editor?
(a) Action that chooses good and is not hampered by vice.
(b) An unattainable goal.
(c) Action that leads to free money.
(d) Action done recklessly and quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Socrates reference when illustrating his beliefs on suffering?
2. When did Socrates think about his defense?
3. Socrates believes Lamprocles has ample reason to be grateful to _____________.
4. What does the author point out about his Socratic writings in Chapter 1?
5. What additional virtue is Socrates credited with having?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Socrates open his defense, and how does he refer to the Oracle of Delphi as part of his argument?
2. Why is Memoirs of Socrates hard to date? What does the editor believe about the validity of the piece?
3. In Chapter 2, Book 1, what does the editor clarify about the concepts of self-discipline and free action?
4. What does Socrates tell his oldest son when Lamprodes is angry with his mother Xanthippe?
5. What type of friends does Socrates tell Cristobulus that he should set to acquire?
6. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
7. What positive aspects does Socrates list about the possibility of being convicted of the charges brought against him?
8. What did Socrates try to teach Chaerephon and Chaerecrates in Subsection 3 of Chapter 2, Book 2?
9. Describe the conversation between Pericles and Alcibiades in subsection 2 of Chapter 2, Book 1.
10. How is the anecdote about Critias and Alebiades used to prove that Socrates did not have a negative effect on the youth?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)