|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Socrates wish to help in his conversation with Aristippus in subsection 8?
(a) The children of Aristippus.
(c) Those listening to the conversation.
2. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
(a) A ghost.
(b) The boy Autolycus.
(c) The wife of his best friend.
(d) His own mother.
3. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
(a) He focuses on his godly nature.
(b) He focuses on the evils of his fellow man.
(c) He focuses on the good he has done.
(d) He focuses on what things are good for what purpose.
4. How does Xenophon claim Socrates reacted to authority?
(a) He openly rebelled against it.
(b) He obeyed it.
(c) He was the authority.
(d) He disregarded it.
5. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) He speaks too loudly.
(c) He acts insane.
(d) He is too hard on them.
6. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
(a) A marriage he attended.
(b) A funeral for his father.
(c) A great flood.
(d) The horse race at the Great Panathenaic Festival.
7. How does Xenophon claim Socrates meet his death?
(a) As a cowardly man.
(b) As a repentant man.
(c) As a foolish man.
(d) As a noble man.
8. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
(a) The gods.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The people.
(d) The Assembly.
9. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
(a) His snobby attitude.
(b) A job he has in mind for him.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) His poor physical condition.
10. What features do not fade according to Socrates?
(a) Those we alter.
(b) Those we do not have.
(c) Those which we do not use.
(d) Those which come from loving a person's mind.
11. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
(a) He freed them from its bondage.
(b) He showed them the gods in person.
(c) He helped them think clearly about it.
(d) He warned them to stay away from it.
12. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
(a) It controls us.
(b) It grows stronger.
(c) We lose it.
(d) We understand it better.
13. Why did Euthydemus remove himself from the group according to Socrates?
(a) To follow a different philosophy.
(b) To avoid embarrassment and learning.
(c) To gain a different perspective.
(d) To repent of his sins.
14. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
(a) Becoming a Calvary officer.
(c) The letter of the law.
(d) Being popular.
15. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) He should kill them.
(b) They make great leaders.
(c) They are no better than beasts.
(d) They rule the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
2. What event was Xenophon hosting a party to celebrate in Chapter 3?
3. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
4. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
5. Who comes to entertain the men at Callias' dinner?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)