Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
(a) By trial and error.
(b) By asking your parents.
(c) By following the laws of the state.
(d) By doing wrong.
2. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
(a) He warned them to stay away from it.
(b) He showed them the gods in person.
(c) He freed them from its bondage.
(d) He helped them think clearly about it.
3. What did Socrates do to make his friends more efficient?
(a) Gave them better tools.
(b) Did their work for them.
(c) Urged them to have self-discipline.
(d) Freed them from all labor.
4. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
(a) He would like to kill him.
(b) He has high hopes for his generalship.
(c) He can't stand him.
(d) He believes him to be the most pious of all people.
5. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
6. What does Socrates discuss with Charmides at the start of subsection 7?
(a) How to become wealthy.
(b) How to win in athletic competitions.
(c) Crimes of passion.
(d) Their plans to take over the world.
7. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
(a) He lectures them constantly.
(b) He tells them a story of the devil.
(c) He tells them jokes.
(d) He teaches them to apply themselves.
8. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
(a) His charisma.
(b) His focus on winning.
(c) His fearlessness.
(d) His piety.
9. What did the bachelors vow to do after seeing the couple's passionate kissing?
(a) To join the military.
(b) To avoid love at all costs.
(c) To get married.
(d) To become celibate.
10. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
(a) We lose it.
(b) We understand it better.
(c) It grows stronger.
(d) It controls us.
11. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
(a) Many various subjects.
(b) Military strategy.
(c) His teachings.
(d) The gods.
12. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
(a) How she finds friends.
(b) Her thoughts on marriage.
(c) Her allegiance to Greece.
(d) Her religious practices.
13. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
(a) The unfairness of slavery.
(b) His dying wish.
(c) Who the people appointed for a general.
(d) The state of politics.
14. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
(a) Man's only solace.
(b) The best way to live life.
(c) A horrific crime.
(d) Annoying one's companions.
15. What made Euthydemus feel wise?
(a) He had read the writings of poets and sages.
(b) He had battlefield skills..
(c) He had a vision from the gods.
(d) He had made the decision to flee Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
2. What are the main themes of Chapter 3?
3. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
4. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
5. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)