|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates claim all of the men should demonstrate?
(a) The value of what they claim to possess.
(b) Their athletic prowess.
(c) Their piety.
(d) Their devotion to Greece.
2. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
(a) Her thoughts on marriage.
(b) How she finds friends.
(c) Her allegiance to Greece.
(d) Her religious practices.
3. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
(a) To kill Socrates.
(b) To seek financial help.
(c) To save his soul.
(d) To teach military command.
4. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
(a) The best way to live life.
(b) Annoying one's companions.
(c) A horrific crime.
(d) Man's only solace.
5. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
(a) The government.
(b) Their own splendor.
(c) Human welfare.
(d) Power and might.
6. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
(a) Sacrifices to the gods on his behalf.
(b) Supports him publicly.
(c) Places a bribe on his behalf.
(d) Instructs him to become wise.
7. What does Socrates conclude about the terms right and lawful?
(a) They are opposites.
(b) He does not understand them.
(c) They have the same meaning.
(d) They have no relation to real life.
8. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
9. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
(a) He has the most influence.
(b) He speaks with the most bravado.
(c) He has the largest following.
(d) He represents his clients pleasantly and speaks modestly.
10. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
(a) In simple farming.
(b) In many things as well as people.
(c) In death.
(d) In no one.
11. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
(a) He thinks Socrates is a fool.
(b) He is too drunk to walk home.
(c) He is in love with him.
(d) He believes Socrates is truly a good man.
12. How does Xenophon claim Socrates meet his death?
(a) As a repentant man.
(b) As a foolish man.
(c) As a noble man.
(d) As a cowardly man.
13. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
(a) Who the people appointed for a general.
(b) His dying wish.
(c) The unfairness of slavery.
(d) The state of politics.
14. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
(a) A ghost.
(b) The boy Autolycus.
(c) His own mother.
(d) The wife of his best friend.
15. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
(a) The people.
(b) The Assembly.
(c) The gods.
(d) The teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the person Socrates chided upset about?
2. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
3. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
4. What does Hermogenes delight in?
5. What does Socrates believe you must do to be a good democratic administrator?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)