|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
(a) His poor physical condition.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) A job he has in mind for him.
(d) His snobby attitude.
2. What does Socrates believe about courage?
(a) It is solely a learned trait.
(b) It is his greatest virtue.
(c) It is largely innate but can be learned.
(d) It does not exist.
3. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
(a) Drinking to excess.
(b) Good eating.
(c) A vow of silence.
(d) Staying awake.
4. How does Xenophon believe Socrates thought about all virtues?
(a) He was above them.
(b) They are beyond human comprehension.
(c) They are the same.
(d) They are a myth.
5. What was the person Socrates chided upset about?
(a) Someone who did not return his greeting.
(b) His place in life.
(c) The failure of his crops.
(d) The infidelity of his wife.
6. What did Socrates do to make his friends more efficient?
(a) Did their work for them.
(b) Gave them better tools.
(c) Urged them to have self-discipline.
(d) Freed them from all labor.
7. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
(a) He showed them the gods in person.
(b) He freed them from its bondage.
(c) He helped them think clearly about it.
(d) He warned them to stay away from it.
8. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
(a) Love of God.
(b) Love of mind.
(c) Love of parents.
(d) Love of money.
9. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
(a) Her thoughts on marriage.
(b) Her allegiance to Greece.
(c) How she finds friends.
(d) Her religious practices.
10. How does Socrates wish to speak of love in subsection eight?
(a) As a cruel joke.
(b) As a deity.
(c) As a childish dream.
(d) As an unfair game.
11. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
(a) It is a genetic defect.
(b) It is to be expected.
(c) It is impure and debauchery.
(d) He is disgusted by the idea.
12. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
(a) Supports him publicly.
(b) Sacrifices to the gods on his behalf.
(c) Places a bribe on his behalf.
(d) Instructs him to become wise.
13. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
(c) Hippias of Elis.
(d) The Oracle of Delphi.
14. What does Xenophon claim no one should believe about Socrates?
(a) He was an intelligent man.
(b) He made false claims about the divine.
(c) He made valid points.
(d) He cared for people.
15. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
(a) He tells them jokes.
(b) He tells them a story of the devil.
(c) He lectures them constantly.
(d) He teaches them to apply themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
2. How does Xenophon claim Socrates meet his death?
3. What does Socrates try and convince Dionysodorous of in Book 3?
4. What does Socrates believe the Athenians should do?
5. What does Socrates believe you must do to be a good democratic administrator?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)