|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
(a) His personal gain.
(b) The strong and mighty.
(c) Testing man's resilience.
(d) The good of man.
2. What does Socrates believe the Athenians should do?
(a) Relocate the city.
(b) Go on the offensive.
(c) Repent of their sins.
(d) Recover their ancestral forms of life.
3. What does Hermogenes delight in?
(a) The stature he has attained.
(b) The goodness and influence of his friends.
(c) The ruination of others.
(d) Military victory.
4. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
(a) He improves them through philosophical discussion.
(b) He scolds them when they make mistakes.
(c) He teaches them to lie.
(d) He removes them from society.
5. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
(a) Annoying one's companions.
(b) A horrific crime.
(c) The best way to live life.
(d) Man's only solace.
6. How does Socrates wish to speak of love in subsection eight?
(a) As a cruel joke.
(b) As a childish dream.
(c) As an unfair game.
(d) As a deity.
7. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
(a) He showed them the gods in person.
(b) He warned them to stay away from it.
(c) He freed them from its bondage.
(d) He helped them think clearly about it.
8. What event was Xenophon hosting a party to celebrate in Chapter 3?
(a) His election to the Senate .
(b) His recent favors from the gods.
(c) Autolycus' victory in the pancration.
(d) A victorious battle by soldiers.
9. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) They make great leaders.
(b) They are no better than beasts.
(c) He should kill them.
(d) They rule the world.
10. What does Xenophon claim no one should believe about Socrates?
(a) He made false claims about the divine.
(b) He made valid points.
(c) He was an intelligent man.
(d) He cared for people.
11. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
(a) Military strategy.
(b) Many various subjects.
(c) The gods.
(d) His teachings.
12. What does Socrates believe you must do to be a good democratic administrator?
(a) You must know the people well.
(b) You must curry favor from the gods.
(c) You must come from a wealthy family.
(d) You must be very sly.
13. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
(a) Who the people appointed for a general.
(b) The unfairness of slavery.
(c) The state of politics.
(d) His dying wish.
14. What was the person Socrates chided upset about?
(a) Someone who did not return his greeting.
(b) The infidelity of his wife.
(c) His place in life.
(d) The failure of his crops.
15. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
(a) Sacrifices to the gods on his behalf.
(b) Instructs him to become wise.
(c) Supports him publicly.
(d) Places a bribe on his behalf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
2. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
3. How does Xenophon claim Socrates reacted to authority?
4. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
5. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)