|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
(a) Love of money.
(b) Love of parents.
(c) Love of mind.
(d) Love of God.
2. Whom does Socrates wish to help in his conversation with Aristippus in subsection 8?
(a) Those listening to the conversation.
(b) The children of Aristippus.
3. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
(a) Instructs him to become wise.
(b) Places a bribe on his behalf.
(c) Sacrifices to the gods on his behalf.
(d) Supports him publicly.
4. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
(a) By following the laws of the state.
(b) By asking your parents.
(c) By trial and error.
(d) By doing wrong.
5. How does Socrates feel about Pericles (the younger)?
(a) He believes him to be the most pious of all people.
(b) He would like to kill him.
(c) He can't stand him.
(d) He has high hopes for his generalship.
6. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
(a) To kill Socrates.
(b) To seek financial help.
(c) To save his soul.
(d) To teach military command.
7. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
(a) Good eating.
(b) A vow of silence.
(c) Staying awake.
(d) Drinking to excess.
8. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
(a) He scolds them when they make mistakes.
(b) He improves them through philosophical discussion.
(c) He teaches them to lie.
(d) He removes them from society.
9. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
(c) The gods.
10. What does Hermogenes delight in?
(a) The goodness and influence of his friends.
(b) The stature he has attained.
(c) The ruination of others.
(d) Military victory.
11. How does Xenophon believe Socrates thought about all virtues?
(a) They are the same.
(b) They are a myth.
(c) He was above them.
(d) They are beyond human comprehension.
12. Why did Euthydemus remove himself from the group according to Socrates?
(a) To avoid embarrassment and learning.
(b) To gain a different perspective.
(c) To repent of his sins.
(d) To follow a different philosophy.
13. What does Socrates claim is easier about love for the mind?
(a) It is easier to fake.
(b) It is easier to reciprocate.
(c) It is easier to live without.
(d) It requires little work.
14. How does Xenophon claim Socrates reacted to authority?
(a) He disregarded it.
(b) He was the authority.
(c) He obeyed it.
(d) He openly rebelled against it.
15. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
(a) A ghost.
(b) His own mother.
(c) The wife of his best friend.
(d) The boy Autolycus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
2. Socrates claims that having physical love is no indication of ______________.
3. What are you compelled to do if you admire the goodness of another according to Socrates?
4. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
5. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)