|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates believe you must do to be a good democratic administrator?
(a) You must be very sly.
(b) You must know the people well.
(c) You must curry favor from the gods.
(d) You must come from a wealthy family.
2. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
(a) He barred illegal motions.
(b) He accepted bribes.
(c) Extorted the wealthy.
(d) Bullied others in the Assembly.
3. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
(a) It grows stronger.
(b) It controls us.
(c) We lose it.
(d) We understand it better.
4. How does Xenophon claim Socrates reacted to authority?
(a) He was the authority.
(b) He openly rebelled against it.
(c) He obeyed it.
(d) He disregarded it.
5. What are the main themes of Chapter 3?
(a) The nature of love and Socrates' ideal true goodness.
(b) Revolt is the only answer.
(c) The love affair of Xenophon.
(d) Socrates should be remembered as a god.
6. What does Xenophon reveal to us about Theodote in subsection 11?
(a) She consorts with anyone persuasive.
(b) She is a beacon of prudence.
(c) She is very wealthy.
(d) She is in love with him.
7. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
(a) Testing man's resilience.
(b) The good of man.
(c) The strong and mighty.
(d) His personal gain.
8. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
(a) He represents his clients pleasantly and speaks modestly.
(b) He has the most influence.
(c) He speaks with the most bravado.
(d) He has the largest following.
9. How does Xenophon feel about spending time with Socrates?
(a) He wishes to be elsewhere.
(b) He feels it is always a service.
(c) He feels it is a privilege.
(d) He loathes it.
10. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
(a) He is disgusted by the idea.
(b) It is to be expected.
(c) It is a genetic defect.
(d) It is impure and debauchery.
11. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
(a) Human welfare.
(b) Their own splendor.
(c) Power and might.
(d) The government.
12. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
(b) The gods.
13. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
(a) Merciless killing.
(b) Securing the happiness of his followers.
(c) Sacrificing himself to curry favor from the gods.
(d) Spreading the teachings of the gods.
14. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
(a) He focuses on his godly nature.
(b) He focuses on the good he has done.
(c) He focuses on what things are good for what purpose.
(d) He focuses on the evils of his fellow man.
15. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
(a) The teachers.
(b) The people.
(c) The Assembly.
(d) The gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the bachelors vow to do after seeing the couple's passionate kissing?
2. What does Socrates try and convince Dionysodorous of in Book 3?
3. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
4. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
5. What are you compelled to do if you admire the goodness of another according to Socrates?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)