|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
2. Why did Euthydemus remove himself from the group according to Socrates?
(a) To avoid embarrassment and learning.
(b) To follow a different philosophy.
(c) To repent of his sins.
(d) To gain a different perspective.
3. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) He should kill them.
(b) They rule the world.
(c) They make great leaders.
(d) They are no better than beasts.
4. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
(a) He speaks with the most bravado.
(b) He represents his clients pleasantly and speaks modestly.
(c) He has the most influence.
(d) He has the largest following.
5. What does Socrates do to Euthydemus to convince him he needs to be wiser?
(a) He speaks in tongues.
(b) He tells him the gods told him so.
(c) He bests him in a fight.
(d) He confuses him in conversation.
6. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
(a) His fearlessness.
(b) His piety.
(c) His focus on winning.
(d) His charisma.
7. What does Socrates praise Euthydemus for in spite of previously chiding him?
(a) His interest in achieving wisdom.
(b) His tidy house.
(c) His generous gift.
(d) His cooking ability.
8. Whom does Socrates describe as soft?
(a) Those that do not use their talents to serve their country.
(b) Charmides' children.
(c) The soldiers of Greece.
(d) The police force in Athens.
9. What does Socrates claim is easier about love for the mind?
(a) It is easier to fake.
(b) It is easier to reciprocate.
(c) It requires little work.
(d) It is easier to live without.
10. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
(a) The letter of the law.
(b) Being popular.
(d) Becoming a Calvary officer.
11. What does Socrates believe about courage?
(a) It is his greatest virtue.
(b) It does not exist.
(c) It is largely innate but can be learned.
(d) It is solely a learned trait.
12. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
(a) He improves them through philosophical discussion.
(b) He removes them from society.
(c) He scolds them when they make mistakes.
(d) He teaches them to lie.
13. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
(a) He showed them the gods in person.
(b) He warned them to stay away from it.
(c) He freed them from its bondage.
(d) He helped them think clearly about it.
14. How does Hermogenes say he retains his friends?
(a) By holding their money from them.
(b) By feeding them.
(c) By paying them.
(d) By praising them and returning their good works.
15. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
(a) He tells them jokes.
(b) He tells them a story of the devil.
(c) He teaches them to apply themselves.
(d) He lectures them constantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermogenes delight in?
2. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
3. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
4. How does Xenophon feel about spending time with Socrates?
5. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)