|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Socrates have a discussion with about right conduct in subsection 4?
(a) Hippias of Elis.
(c) The Oracle of Delphi.
2. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
(a) He barred illegal motions.
(b) He accepted bribes.
(c) Bullied others in the Assembly.
(d) Extorted the wealthy.
3. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
(b) The gods.
4. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
(a) His own mother.
(b) The boy Autolycus.
(c) The wife of his best friend.
(d) A ghost.
5. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
(a) The good of man.
(b) The strong and mighty.
(c) His personal gain.
(d) Testing man's resilience.
6. What does Hermogenes say drunkenness is in subsection six?
(a) The best way to live life.
(b) Annoying one's companions.
(c) Man's only solace.
(d) A horrific crime.
7. What did the bachelors vow to do after seeing the couple's passionate kissing?
(a) To avoid love at all costs.
(b) To join the military.
(c) To get married.
(d) To become celibate.
8. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
(a) Her thoughts on marriage.
(b) Her religious practices.
(c) Her allegiance to Greece.
(d) How she finds friends.
9. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
(a) It is impure and debauchery.
(b) It is a genetic defect.
(c) It is to be expected.
(d) He is disgusted by the idea.
10. What made Euthydemus feel wise?
(a) He had read the writings of poets and sages.
(b) He had made the decision to flee Greece.
(c) He had battlefield skills..
(d) He had a vision from the gods.
11. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
(a) He scolds them when they make mistakes.
(b) He improves them through philosophical discussion.
(c) He teaches them to lie.
(d) He removes them from society.
12. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
(a) A great flood.
(b) A marriage he attended.
(c) The horse race at the Great Panathenaic Festival.
(d) A funeral for his father.
13. What was the person Socrates chided upset about?
(a) The infidelity of his wife.
(b) His place in life.
(c) The failure of his crops.
(d) Someone who did not return his greeting.
14. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
(a) Power and might.
(b) The government.
(c) Their own splendor.
(d) Human welfare.
15. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
(a) By following the laws of the state.
(b) By trial and error.
(c) By doing wrong.
(d) By asking your parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates teach people with good ambitions according to Xenophon in Book 3?
2. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
3. How does Socrates wish to speak of love in subsection eight?
4. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
5. What does Xenophon claim no one should believe about Socrates?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)