|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Socrates describe as soft?
(a) The police force in Athens.
(b) Those that do not use their talents to serve their country.
(c) Charmides' children.
(d) The soldiers of Greece.
2. Whom does Socrates claim makes what is right into what is lawful?
(a) The gods.
(b) The people.
(c) The Assembly.
(d) The teachers.
3. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
(a) His poor physical condition.
(b) A job he has in mind for him.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) His snobby attitude.
4. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
(a) Power and might.
(b) Human welfare.
(c) Their own splendor.
(d) The government.
5. What does Hermogenes delight in?
(a) The ruination of others.
(b) Military victory.
(c) The goodness and influence of his friends.
(d) The stature he has attained.
6. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
(a) He thinks Socrates is a fool.
(b) He believes Socrates is truly a good man.
(c) He is in love with him.
(d) He is too drunk to walk home.
7. Whom does Socrates wish to help in his conversation with Aristippus in subsection 8?
(c) Those listening to the conversation.
(d) The children of Aristippus.
8. What did Socrates do as President of the Assembly?
(a) He accepted bribes.
(b) Extorted the wealthy.
(c) He barred illegal motions.
(d) Bullied others in the Assembly.
9. How does Xenophon believe Socrates thought about all virtues?
(a) They are beyond human comprehension.
(b) He was above them.
(c) They are a myth.
(d) They are the same.
10. Who comes to entertain the men at Callias' dinner?
(b) A singing group.
(d) A group of actors.
11. How does Xenophon feel about spending time with Socrates?
(a) He feels it is a privilege.
(b) He feels it is always a service.
(c) He wishes to be elsewhere.
(d) He loathes it.
12. In subsection 10, Socrates talks to _____________to show he cares for their interests.
13. What did Socrates do to make his friends more efficient?
(a) Urged them to have self-discipline.
(b) Did their work for them.
(c) Freed them from all labor.
(d) Gave them better tools.
14. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
(a) A funeral for his father.
(b) A great flood.
(c) The horse race at the Great Panathenaic Festival.
(d) A marriage he attended.
15. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
(a) The gods.
(b) Military strategy.
(c) Many various subjects.
(d) His teachings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
2. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
3. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
4. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
5. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)