|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
(a) By doing wrong.
(b) By trial and error.
(c) By following the laws of the state.
(d) By asking your parents.
2. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) He is too hard on them.
(c) He acts insane.
(d) He speaks too loudly.
3. Who comes to entertain the men at Callias' dinner?
(c) A group of actors.
(d) A singing group.
4. What does Socrates try and convince Dionysodorous of in Book 3?
(a) He is meant to lead a revolt.
(b) There is a plot against his life.
(c) He should have a more expansive view of his job.
(d) There is no God.
5. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
(a) The gods.
(b) Many various subjects.
(c) Military strategy.
(d) His teachings.
6. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
(a) The unfairness of slavery.
(b) The state of politics.
(c) His dying wish.
(d) Who the people appointed for a general.
7. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
(a) He is disgusted by the idea.
(b) It is impure and debauchery.
(c) It is a genetic defect.
(d) It is to be expected.
8. How does Socrates wish to speak of love in subsection eight?
(a) As a childish dream.
(b) As a deity.
(c) As a cruel joke.
(d) As an unfair game.
9. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
(a) Drinking to excess.
(b) A vow of silence.
(c) Good eating.
(d) Staying awake.
10. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
(a) It controls us.
(b) We lose it.
(c) It grows stronger.
(d) We understand it better.
11. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
(a) The government.
(b) Their own splendor.
(c) Human welfare.
(d) Power and might.
12. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) They rule the world.
(b) They are no better than beasts.
(c) They make great leaders.
(d) He should kill them.
13. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
(a) A funeral for his father.
(b) The horse race at the Great Panathenaic Festival.
(c) A marriage he attended.
(d) A great flood.
14. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
(a) He is in love with him.
(b) He is too drunk to walk home.
(c) He believes Socrates is truly a good man.
(d) He thinks Socrates is a fool.
15. How does Hermogenes say he retains his friends?
(a) By paying them.
(b) By holding their money from them.
(c) By feeding them.
(d) By praising them and returning their good works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
2. What does Socrates do to help people avoid mistakes and to teach others?
3. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
4. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
5. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)