|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the bachelors vow to do after seeing the couple's passionate kissing?
(a) To join the military.
(b) To avoid love at all costs.
(c) To become celibate.
(d) To get married.
2. What was Niceratus proud he could do?
(b) Make women love him.
(c) Recite all of the Iliad and the Odyssey.
(d) Run the fastest.
3. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) A job he has in mind for him.
(c) His snobby attitude.
(d) His poor physical condition.
4. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) They are no better than beasts.
(b) They make great leaders.
(c) He should kill them.
(d) They rule the world.
5. Socrates reasons the world was designed for ______________.
(a) The good of man.
(b) Testing man's resilience.
(c) His personal gain.
(d) The strong and mighty.
6. What does Socrates question Theodote about?
(a) Her thoughts on marriage.
(b) Her religious practices.
(c) Her allegiance to Greece.
(d) How she finds friends.
7. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
(a) A vow of silence.
(b) Good eating.
(c) Drinking to excess.
(d) Staying awake.
8. What event was Xenophon hosting a party to celebrate in Chapter 3?
(a) His election to the Senate .
(b) A victorious battle by soldiers.
(c) Autolycus' victory in the pancration.
(d) His recent favors from the gods.
9. Where does Socrates explain to Critobulus you can find beauty?
(a) In no one.
(b) In simple farming.
(c) In many things as well as people.
(d) In death.
10. What did Socrates do to make his friends more efficient?
(a) Did their work for them.
(b) Gave them better tools.
(c) Freed them from all labor.
(d) Urged them to have self-discipline.
11. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
(a) He represents his clients pleasantly and speaks modestly.
(b) He speaks with the most bravado.
(c) He has the most influence.
(d) He has the largest following.
12. Why did Dionysodorous come to Athens in Book 3?
(a) To seek financial help.
(b) To teach military command.
(c) To kill Socrates.
(d) To save his soul.
13. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
(a) He thinks Socrates is a fool.
(b) He is too drunk to walk home.
(c) He believes Socrates is truly a good man.
(d) He is in love with him.
14. What does Aristippus try to trap Socrates into claiming?
(a) Evil is the only true good.
(b) He is a god.
(c) Something conditionally good is unqualified good.
(d) He should be a general.
15. What does Xenophon feel Socrates could do based on individual's needs?
(a) Adjust his aid accordingly.
(b) Make the person a formidable soldier.
(c) Instruct the person in the ways of the gods.
(d) Predict the person's future.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates help people when it came to religion?
2. What does Socrates believe the Athenians should do?
3. What are the main themes of Chapter 3?
4. Whom does Socrates describe as soft?
5. In subsection 10, Socrates talks to _____________to show he cares for their interests.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)