|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Xenophon claim Socrates meet his death?
(a) As a repentant man.
(b) As a foolish man.
(c) As a cowardly man.
(d) As a noble man.
2. What does Aristippus try to trap Socrates into claiming?
(a) Something conditionally good is unqualified good.
(b) He is a god.
(c) He should be a general.
(d) Evil is the only true good.
3. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) He speaks too loudly.
(c) He acts insane.
(d) He is too hard on them.
4. What was the person Socrates chided upset about?
(a) His place in life.
(b) The infidelity of his wife.
(c) The failure of his crops.
(d) Someone who did not return his greeting.
5. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
(a) Love of God.
(b) Love of mind.
(c) Love of parents.
(d) Love of money.
6. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
7. What does Socrates believe is part of living a well-ordered life?
(a) Good eating.
(b) Staying awake.
(c) A vow of silence.
(d) Drinking to excess.
8. What does Socrates claim is easier about love for the mind?
(a) It is easier to reciprocate.
(b) It requires little work.
(c) It is easier to fake.
(d) It is easier to live without.
9. Who comes to entertain the men at Callias' dinner?
(b) A singing group.
(d) A group of actors.
10. Socrates wanted his friends to be well-informed on ___________.
(a) His teachings.
(b) Many various subjects.
(c) The gods.
(d) Military strategy.
11. What did Socrates do to make his friends more efficient?
(a) Gave them better tools.
(b) Freed them from all labor.
(c) Urged them to have self-discipline.
(d) Did their work for them.
12. What does Socrates tell Euthydemus about people without self-discipline?
(a) They rule the world.
(b) He should kill them.
(c) They are no better than beasts.
(d) They make great leaders.
13. What does Socrates say about homosexuality?
(a) It is a genetic defect.
(b) He is disgusted by the idea.
(c) It is impure and debauchery.
(d) It is to be expected.
14. What does Socrates talk with Epigenes about in subsection 12?
(a) His poor physical condition.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) A job he has in mind for him.
(d) His snobby attitude.
15. What event does Xenophon describe to begin his story?
(a) A marriage he attended.
(b) A funeral for his father.
(c) A great flood.
(d) The horse race at the Great Panathenaic Festival.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates focus on instead of what is good generally, at the close of Subsection 8?
2. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
3. According to Socrates, what is one way to learn what is right?
4. What does Xenophon reveal to us about Theodote in subsection 11?
5. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)