|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Socrates claim people should listen to if they are sick?
(a) A doctor.
(b) Their parents.
(c) No one.
(d) The gods.
2. According to Socrates, why was he not introducing new deities?
(a) He had heard of the new deities from foreigners.
(b) He refused to give a reason.
(c) He had a prophetic dream.
(d) One of the gods had spoken to him.
3. What did Socrates not encourage his students to do?
(a) Pay taxes.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Read other teachings besides his.
(d) Become tyrants.
4. At the start of subsection 3, whom does Socrates advise according to Xenophon?
(a) His nieces and nephews.
(b) The Oracle of Delphi.
(c) Two brothers, Chaerephon and Chaerecrates.
5. What does Socrates tell Critobulus he should do to deserve good people in his life?
(a) Buy his friends.
(b) Ignore the views of the government.
(c) Sacrifice himself to the gods.
(d) Make himself a good man.
6. What does Book 2 show Socrates did?
(a) Commit blasphemy against the gods.
(b) Encourage his friends to be good.
(c) Promote civil unrest.
(d) Encourage people to be violent.
7. What were Socrates' friends doing that mystified him?
(a) Chanting his name.
(b) Crying as he was led away.
(c) Praying for his release.
(d) Calling him God.
8. Whom does Socrates have a conversation with that illustrates his belief on self-discipline?
(c) The Greek god of war.
(d) The goddess Athena.
9. According to Xenophon, who are examples of good men Socrates has taught?
(a) Crito and Cebes.
(b) Critias and Alcibiades.
(c) Pericles and Meletus.
(d) Plato and himself.
10. What does Xenophon note about Socrates' prophecy?
(a) The time it was made.
(b) He does not believe him.
(c) The outcome is yet unknown.
(d) He was right.
11. What does Socrates say is the best defense he could have?
(a) His fists.
(b) His cunning and wit.
(c) Having done nothing wrong.
(d) A pocketful of money.
12. What is the main theme compared to in Chapter 2?
(a) Being a gentleman.
(b) An ancient text of the Phoenicians.
(c) The golden rule.
(d) Religious tenets from around the globe.
13. What does Xenophon argue the city of Athens should do to Socrates?
(a) Praise him for his good deeds.
(b) Revere him as a god.
(c) Execute him.
(d) Banish him from the city.
14. What did Socrates believe about the gods that led to his great respect for them?
(a) He was equal to them.
(b) They spoke to him continuously.
(c) They protected him from harm.
(d) They were omniscient.
15. What is the main theme of the Memoirs?
(a) Its not what you know; it's who you know.
(b) Socrates is always correct.
(c) The ideal of the true good.
(d) God does not exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates believes Lamprocles has ample reason to be grateful to _____________.
2. What does the editor believe about the validity of the writings?
3. In the second subsection of Book 1, what does Xenophon deny Socrates has done?
4. Who asked the Oracle at Delphi about Socrates?
5. What does the author point out about his Socratic writings in Chapter 1?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)