|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Socrates decided that made him appear arrogant, according to Xenophon?
(a) He was far superior to everyone there.
(b) Death was better than life.
(c) He could outwit Xenophon.
(d) He could bribe his way out of the trial.
2. What does Socrates argue no one has done because of him?
(a) Stopped worshiping the gods.
(b) Committed treason.
(d) Deserted the army.
3. Socrates claims he is not a slave to __________.
(a) His bodily desires.
(b) Any religion.
(c) The government.
(d) The wages of death.
4. According to Socrates,what has not corrupted the youth?
(a) His practice of virtue.
(b) The food they eat.
(c) The texts they have read.
(d) The government.
5. How does Xenophon end his discussion in subsection 10?
(a) By recounting a discussion between Socrates and Diodorus.
(b) By allowing Socrates to leave.
(c) By questioning his own authority.
(d) By condemning Socrates as a heretic.
6. What does Socrates praise in a homily to show that he loved virtue?
(a) Money and power.
(b) The value of self-discipline.
(c) The sunshine.
(d) The Greek government.
7. How did Socrates benefit his associates and friends?
(a) He gave them money.
(b) He protected them with military power.
(c) Through example and conversation.
(d) He amused them.
8. What is Xenophon confused by in the first subsection of Book 1?
(a) The meaning Socrates is trying to convey.
(b) The importance of Socrates' trial.
(c) The military presence surrounding Socrates.
(d) The accusation that Socrates is guilty of the charges.
9. Ultimately, what is Socrates' Defense?
(a) A pamphlet as opposed to a book.
(b) A work of religious greatness.
(c) A guide to life.
(d) A testament to hard work.
10. What behavior of Critias and Alcibiades did Socrates not approve of?
(a) Their use of alcohol.
(b) Performing executions.
(c) Their exotic dress.
(d) Singing in public.
11. What did Meletus see Socrates doing?
(a) Talking to spies.
(b) Starting to escape.
(c) Eating on the holy day.
(d) Sacrificing to the gods.
12. What does Book 2 show Socrates did?
(a) Commit blasphemy against the gods.
(b) Encourage his friends to be good.
(c) Encourage people to be violent.
(d) Promote civil unrest.
13. What does the editor believe about the validity of the writings?
(a) The writings are a hoax.
(b) They are meant to be laughed at.
(c) The writings are quasi-fictional.
(d) They are completely accurate.
14. What is free action according to the editor?
(a) Action done recklessly and quickly.
(b) Action that chooses good and is not hampered by vice.
(c) An unattainable goal.
(d) Action that leads to free money.
15. Who is Hermogenes' father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plato think of Socrates' defense at the trial?
2. At the start of subsection 7, what does Xenophon relate Socrates has done for his friends?
3. Socrates believes Lamprocles has ample reason to be grateful to _____________.
4. Who brought the charges against Socrates?
5. What does Xenophon discuss with Critobulus in Subsection 6?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)