|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Socrates not encourage his students to do?
(a) Pay taxes.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Read other teachings besides his.
(d) Become tyrants.
2. When did Socrates think about his defense?
(a) All of the time.
(b) For one week in a cell.
(c) For three months prior to the trial.
(d) When he was summoned for the trial.
3. What does Socrates tell Critobulus he should do to deserve good people in his life?
(a) Ignore the views of the government.
(b) Make himself a good man.
(c) Sacrifice himself to the gods.
(d) Buy his friends.
4. Who asked the Oracle at Delphi about Socrates?
5. What does Socrates cite for the court to hear?
(a) His virtues.
(b) The words the god spoke to him.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) The laws of Greece.
6. What is Socrates' disposition as he is being led away?
(a) He is extremely sad.
(b) He is overcome with rage.
(c) He is cheerful.
(d) He is trembling.
7. What did Socrates prophesy about in Chapter 1?
(a) A victory in battle.
(b) His own fate.
(c) The fall of Greece.
(d) Anytus' future.
8. What does Socrates praise in a homily to show that he loved virtue?
(a) The value of self-discipline.
(b) Money and power.
(c) The sunshine.
(d) The Greek government.
9. What makes the Memoirs of Socrates hard to date?
(a) Socrates himself denounced the writings.
(b) The document is in pieces.
(c) It is written with horrible grammar.
(d) The conversations are poorly organized.
10. What did Socrates believe about the gods that led to his great respect for them?
(a) They protected him from harm.
(b) He was equal to them.
(c) They were omniscient.
(d) They spoke to him continuously.
11. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
(a) Committing treason.
(b) Releasing animals from their cages.
(c) As oligarchs.
(d) They started a fire.
12. Why does Socrates believe he is rich when Antiphon questions his modest lifestyle?
(a) His philosophical pursuits.
(b) He has the favor of the gods.
(c) The notoriety he has attained.
(d) The money he has hidden.
13. When in his life is Xenophon reported to have written the memoirs?
(a) Xenophon reportedly wrote them as a young man.
(b) The memoirs are supposedly written posthumously.
(c) It is believed Xenophon wrote them late in his life.
(d) Xenophon did not do the writings himself.
14. According to Socrates, what is his financial situation?
(a) He owes many debts.
(b) He is wealthy beyond necessity.
(c) He is a financial hardship to his friends.
(d) He is not in debt.
15. According to Socrates, why was he not introducing new deities?
(a) He refused to give a reason.
(b) He had heard of the new deities from foreigners.
(c) One of the gods had spoken to him.
(d) He had a prophetic dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Socrates reference when illustrating his beliefs on suffering?
2. Socrates believes Lamprocles has ample reason to be grateful to _____________.
3. Whom does Socrates claim people should listen to if they are sick?
4. Ultimately, what is Socrates' Defense?
5. What does Socrates tell Critobulus should be valued above all else?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)