|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Critobulus worry about good men?
(a) They have malicious intentions.
(b) They are only good due to wealth.
(c) They often quarrel and treat each other poorly.
(d) They are deceiving the world.
2. How did Critias and Alcibiades do great damage to Athens?
(a) Releasing animals from their cages.
(b) As oligarchs.
(c) Committing treason.
(d) They started a fire.
3. What additional virtue is Socrates credited with having?
(a) The ability to teach others.
(b) The virtue of silence.
(c) The ability to perform magic.
(d) He is a brilliant alchemist.
4. Ultimately, what is Socrates' Defense?
(a) A pamphlet as opposed to a book.
(b) A guide to life.
(c) A testament to hard work.
(d) A work of religious greatness.
5. How do the books show Socrates delivering his message to people?
(a) He writes people letters.
(b) He uses homilies to deliver his message.
(c) He uses a series of paintings.
(d) He delivers his message through song.
6. What did Socrates encourage people to do?
(a) Follow what they thought was right and develop their talents.
(b) Denounce false gods.
(c) Enjoy their worldly possessions.
(d) Rebel against the government.
7. What does the author point out about his Socratic writings in Chapter 1?
(a) He plagiarized large portions of it.
(b) They were written with the express purpose of defending Socrates.
(c) They are not his best work.
(d) They are meant to slander Socrates.
8. Who is Hermogenes' father?
9. Socrates claims he is not a slave to __________.
(a) The wages of death.
(b) His bodily desires.
(c) The government.
(d) Any religion.
10. What does Xenophon discuss with Critobulus in Subsection 6?
(a) The fate of Socrates.
(b) His fear of death.
(c) How one should acquire friends.
(d) A book he had read.
11. What does Socrates believe most people undervalue?
(a) Their friends.
(b) Their civic duty.
(d) A hard day's work.
12. What is Xenophon confused by in the first subsection of Book 1?
(a) The importance of Socrates' trial.
(b) The accusation that Socrates is guilty of the charges.
(c) The military presence surrounding Socrates.
(d) The meaning Socrates is trying to convey.
13. What did Critias and Alcibiades control while under Socrates tutelage?
(a) Socrates' finances.
(b) The fate of all of Greece.
(c) Their natural vices.
(d) All the wealth in Athens.
14. How does Xenophon divide the Memoirs of Socrates?
(a) Into eight books with four chapters each.
(b) Directly in half.
(c) He doesn't divide it all.
(d) Into four books of largely the same length.
15. How does Socrates argue one can modify someone else's behavior?
(a) By deserting them.
(b) By force.
(c) By providing behavior incentives.
(d) By ignoring them until they change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is free action according to the editor?
2. How does Socrates teach his associates they should act in respect to food, drink, sex, and sleep?
3. What does the Oracle of Delphi have to say about Socrates?
4. In the second subsection of Book 1, what does Xenophon deny Socrates has done?
5. According to Socrates, why was he not introducing new deities?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)