|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Socrates not encourage his students to do?
(a) Join the military.
(b) Become tyrants.
(c) Pay taxes.
(d) Read other teachings besides his.
2. What did Meletus see Socrates doing?
(a) Sacrificing to the gods.
(b) Eating on the holy day.
(c) Talking to spies.
(d) Starting to escape.
3. What makes the Memoirs of Socrates hard to date?
(a) The conversations are poorly organized.
(b) The document is in pieces.
(c) Socrates himself denounced the writings.
(d) It is written with horrible grammar.
4. What is the main theme compared to in Chapter 2?
(a) The golden rule.
(b) An ancient text of the Phoenicians.
(c) Religious tenets from around the globe.
(d) Being a gentleman.
5. What does Socrates tell Critobulus should be valued above all else?
(b) Good friends.
6. What does Socrates emphasize about the outcome of the trial?
(a) He wished to become a martyr.
(b) It was never a fair trial.
(c) The fates would protect him.
(d) Everyone dies eventually.
7. Socrates claims he is not a slave to __________.
(a) His bodily desires.
(b) The wages of death.
(c) Any religion.
(d) The government.
8. How does Xenophon end his discussion in subsection 10?
(a) By recounting a discussion between Socrates and Diodorus.
(b) By condemning Socrates as a heretic.
(c) By questioning his own authority.
(d) By allowing Socrates to leave.
9. What does Book 2 show Socrates did?
(a) Promote civil unrest.
(b) Commit blasphemy against the gods.
(c) Encourage his friends to be good.
(d) Encourage people to be violent.
10. According to Socrates,what has not corrupted the youth?
(a) The texts they have read.
(b) The food they eat.
(c) His practice of virtue.
(d) The government.
11. What does the author point out about his Socratic writings in Chapter 1?
(a) He plagiarized large portions of it.
(b) They are not his best work.
(c) They are meant to slander Socrates.
(d) They were written with the express purpose of defending Socrates.
12. Who brought the charges against Socrates?
(a) The Oracle of Delphi.
(b) The Athenian people led by Meletus.
(c) The Spartans led by Xenophon.
(d) Plato and his followers.
13. Who does Alcibiades have a discussion with about the nature of law?
14. What does Socrates teach Crito in subsection 9?
(a) How to escape from prison.
(b) How to find refuge from social interaction.
(c) A new recipe for wine.
(d) How to sing.
15. Subsection 8 shows Socrates interacting with ___________.
(a) A young beggar on the street.
(b) His friend Eutherus.
(d) New deities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates claim he bears none of although his opponents do?
2. Why does the Editor present Socrates Defense first?
3. How do the books show Socrates delivering his message to people?
4. What does Xenophon argue Socrates could not lead people to do?
5. What does Xenophon argue that Socrates has never done?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)