Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1, Socrates' Defense
1. Why does the editor present Socrates' defense first in this collection of Socratic dialogues?
2. According to the editor how does Xenophon's "Conversations of Socrates" compare to Plato's "Apology"?
3. What were the main charges that Socrates was accused of at his trial?
4. What does Xenophon note at the opening of Socrates' defense, and whom does he cite as an important source of information?
5. Why did Socrates have an arrogant tone at his trial according to Xenophon?
This section contains 1,057 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)