|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Dinner-Party.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates believe he is rich when Antiphon questions his modest lifestyle?
(a) The money he has hidden.
(b) He has the favor of the gods.
(c) The notoriety he has attained.
(d) His philosophical pursuits.
2. According to Socrates, what happens to physical love as we age?
(a) We lose it.
(b) It grows stronger.
(c) We understand it better.
(d) It controls us.
3. Who does Alcibiades have a discussion with about the nature of law?
4. What does the author point out about his Socratic writings in Chapter 1?
(a) He plagiarized large portions of it.
(b) They are meant to slander Socrates.
(c) They are not his best work.
(d) They were written with the express purpose of defending Socrates.
5. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
(a) Love of money.
(b) Love of God.
(c) Love of mind.
(d) Love of parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
2. How does Xenophon feel about spending time with Socrates?
3. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
4. What does Socrates cite for the court to hear?
5. Who is Hermogenes' father?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)