|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Dinner-Party.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates try and convince Dionysodorous of in Book 3?
(a) There is no God.
(b) He is meant to lead a revolt.
(c) There is a plot against his life.
(d) He should have a more expansive view of his job.
2. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
(a) Securing the happiness of his followers.
(b) Merciless killing.
(c) Sacrificing himself to curry favor from the gods.
(d) Spreading the teachings of the gods.
3. What does Xenophon note about Socrates' prophecy?
(a) The time it was made.
(b) He does not believe him.
(c) He was right.
(d) The outcome is yet unknown.
4. How does Xenophon divide the Memoirs of Socrates?
(a) Into four books of largely the same length.
(b) He doesn't divide it all.
(c) Directly in half.
(d) Into eight books with four chapters each.
5. What was the young man focused on that Socrates questions in book 3?
(b) Being popular.
(c) The letter of the law.
(d) Becoming a Calvary officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xenophon claim no one should believe about Socrates?
2. According to Socrates, what is his financial situation?
3. Whom was Callias strongly attracted to in Chapter 3?
4. What does Socrates praise Euthydemus for in spite of previously chiding him?
5. How does Hermogenes say he retains his friends?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)