|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Dinner-Party.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates claims that having physical love is no indication of ______________.
(a) Your general health.
(b) Your intelligence.
(c) Virtue of any kind.
(d) Your goals in life.
2. Socrates argues the gods are concerned with ____________.
(a) The government.
(b) Their own splendor.
(c) Power and might.
(d) Human welfare.
3. What are the standards of virtue as seen by Socrates?
(a) Wisdom, justice, self-control, and piety.
(b) Wealth and slave owning.
(c) Patience is the only virtue according to Socrates.
(d) Time management and athletic ability.
4. What is Xenophon confused by in the first subsection of Book 1?
(a) The meaning Socrates is trying to convey.
(b) The military presence surrounding Socrates.
(c) The importance of Socrates' trial.
(d) The accusation that Socrates is guilty of the charges.
5. At the start of subsection 7, what does Xenophon relate Socrates has done for his friends?
(a) Provided them with entertainment.
(b) Burdened them.
(c) Spoken for them.
(d) Helped them through difficulties.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates teach about morality and piety according to Xenophon?
2. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
3. At the start of subsection 3, whom does Socrates advise according to Xenophon?
4. What made Euthydemus feel wise?
5. What was the first thing Socrates said his friends needed?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)