|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Memoirs of Socrates, Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the gods oppose Socrates doing in his own view?
(a) Showing humility.
(b) Using force to defend himself.
(d) Working on his defense.
2. What had Socrates decided that made him appear arrogant, according to Xenophon?
(a) He was far superior to everyone there.
(b) He could outwit Xenophon.
(c) Death was better than life.
(d) He could bribe his way out of the trial.
3. What does Socrates conclude about the terms right and lawful?
(a) They have no relation to real life.
(b) They have the same meaning.
(c) He does not understand them.
(d) They are opposites.
4. What does the Oracle of Delphi have to say about Socrates?
(a) He was not to be trusted.
(b) He was the most free and most prudent of all people.
(c) The Oracle thought he was foolish.
(d) He needed to be silenced.
5. According to Socrates, what is his financial situation?
(a) He is a financial hardship to his friends.
(b) He is wealthy beyond necessity.
(c) He owes many debts.
(d) He is not in debt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xenophon reveal to us about Theodote in subsection 11?
2. What does Xenophon argue that Socrates has never done?
3. What does Xenophon argue Socrates could not lead people to do?
4. What does Socrates do to help Glaucon become a head of state?
5. Whom does Socrates have a conversation with that illustrates his belief on self-discipline?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)