|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Memoirs of Socrates, Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Xenophon, who are examples of good men Socrates has taught?
(a) Plato and himself.
(b) Critias and Alcibiades.
(c) Crito and Cebes.
(d) Pericles and Meletus.
2. What did Critias and Alcibiades control while under Socrates tutelage?
(a) Their natural vices.
(b) The fate of all of Greece.
(c) Socrates' finances.
(d) All the wealth in Athens.
3. Why does the Editor present Socrates Defense first?
(a) He did not place it there; it is at the end.
(b) He thought it was too long to be at the end.
(c) He believes it is Xenophon's first Socratic dialogue.
(d) He believes it will catch the reader's attention.
4. What forced the jurors to condemn Socrates, according to Xenophon?
(a) Socrates' arrogance.
(b) The gods.
(c) Socrates' appearance.
(d) Government influence.
5. What are the standards of virtue as seen by Socrates?
(a) Wealth and slave owning.
(b) Time management and athletic ability.
(c) Wisdom, justice, self-control, and piety.
(d) Patience is the only virtue according to Socrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the editor emphasize should not prevent you from using worldly goods?
2. What did the gods oppose Socrates doing in his own view?
3. What did Socrates encourage people to do?
4. What does Hermogenes claim could be the outcome of the trial?
5. How do the books show Socrates delivering his message to people?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)