|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Socrates' Defense.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Xenophon note about Socrates' prophecy?
(a) The outcome is yet unknown.
(b) He was right.
(c) He does not believe him.
(d) The time it was made.
2. What forced the jurors to condemn Socrates, according to Xenophon?
(a) Government influence.
(b) The gods.
(c) Socrates' appearance.
(d) Socrates' arrogance.
3. What did Meletus see Socrates doing?
(a) Eating on the holy day.
(b) Sacrificing to the gods.
(c) Starting to escape.
(d) Talking to spies.
4. Whom does Socrates claim people should listen to if they are sick?
(a) A doctor.
(b) Their parents.
(c) No one.
(d) The gods.
5. What were Socrates' friends doing that mystified him?
(a) Calling him God.
(b) Praying for his release.
(c) Chanting his name.
(d) Crying as he was led away.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, why was he not introducing new deities?
2. What does Meletus claim Socrates caused the youth to do?
3. What does Socrates say is the best defense he could have?
4. What does the author point out about his Socratic writings in Chapter 1?
5. According to Socrates, what is his financial situation?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)