|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Dinner-Party.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
(a) He is in love with him.
(b) He thinks Socrates is a fool.
(c) He believes Socrates is truly a good man.
(d) He is too drunk to walk home.
2. What does Socrates claim is easier about love for the mind?
(a) It is easier to fake.
(b) It is easier to reciprocate.
(c) It is easier to live without.
(d) It requires little work.
3. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
(a) Love of parents.
(b) Love of mind.
(c) Love of money.
(d) Love of God.
4. What does Socrates say will allow Antisthenes to gain the needed capacities?
(a) His focus on winning.
(b) His piety.
(c) His fearlessness.
(d) His charisma.
5. What did Socrates encourage people to do?
(a) Follow what they thought was right and develop their talents.
(b) Denounce false gods.
(c) Enjoy their worldly possessions.
(d) Rebel against the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to entertain the men at Callias' dinner?
2. What makes the Memoirs of Socrates hard to date?
3. What does Socrates praise in a homily to show that he loved virtue?
4. Whom does Socrates wish to help in his conversation with Aristippus in subsection 8?
5. Why does Socrates tell Aristodemus the gods deserve esteem?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)