|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Dinner-Party.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lycon tell Socrates as he is leaving after the discussion?
(a) He is in love with him.
(b) He is too drunk to walk home.
(c) He thinks Socrates is a fool.
(d) He believes Socrates is truly a good man.
2. What is Xenophon confused by in the first subsection of Book 1?
(a) The importance of Socrates' trial.
(b) The military presence surrounding Socrates.
(c) The meaning Socrates is trying to convey.
(d) The accusation that Socrates is guilty of the charges.
3. How does Socrates defend his claim of pride in his ability as a pimp?
(a) He represents his clients pleasantly and speaks modestly.
(b) He has the most influence.
(c) He speaks with the most bravado.
(d) He has the largest following.
4. What is Socrates talking to Nicomachides about at the start of subsection 4?
(a) The state of politics.
(b) His dying wish.
(c) The unfairness of slavery.
(d) Who the people appointed for a general.
5. What does the editor believe about the validity of the writings?
(a) The writings are quasi-fictional.
(b) They are completely accurate.
(c) They are meant to be laughed at.
(d) The writings are a hoax.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charmides act around the weakest of people according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates argue men should rank over physical love?
3. What does Socrates say is part of the job of a good general?
4. What is the main theme compared to in Chapter 2?
5. Charmides claims the combination of young beauty and music make him think of _____________.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)