|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is critical to the development of culture, in Edmund Wilson's account?
(a) Linguistic complexities.
(b) Environmental complexities.
(c) Genetic complexities.
(d) Artistic complexities.
2. How does postmodern influence portray existence?
(a) As individual.
(b) As communal.
(c) As chaotic.
(d) As interdependent.
3. What problem does Wilson attribute to failures in the social sciences?
(a) Failure to remedy the inequality between the classes.
(b) Failure to regulate industry.
(c) Failure to react to environmental disasters.
(d) Failure to foresee the collapse of the welfare state.
4. What does natural selection provide for a species?
(a) More diverse genetic options.
(b) More mating possibilities.
(c) New genetic combinations.
(d) Fewer dominant individuals.
5. What explanation does Wilson offer for incest taboos?
(a) Incest relationships create genetic defects.
(b) Incest creates unrest in a culture.
(c) Incest predisposes cultures to avoid war.
(d) Incest undermines primogeniture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can integrity be attained, according to Wilson?
2. What will the combination of the arts and sciences ultimately create?
3. Where do science and the arts both originate, according to Wilson?
4. What were ethics constructed around, according to Wilson?
5. What is the problem with sociology, in Edmund Wilson's estimation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do social factors influence genetic distribution?
2. What is the sign, in EO Wilson's account, that culture is evolving?
3. How does art look through the gene-culture evolution paradigm Wilson offers?
4. Where does ethics come from, in E.O. Wilson's account?
5. How do patterns in mental development connect genes to culture?
6. What threats to contemporary culture does Wilson describe, and how is consilience useful in answering them?
7. What role does the incest taboo have in genetic and cultural development?
8. In what way are epi-genetic rules cross-cultural?
9. What ethical perspective does Wilson call the empiricist view?
10. What is the consilient view of religious ethics?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)