|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gnostics and alchemists view snakes?
(a) As symbols of the old order of gods.
(b) As symbols of divinity.
(c) As symbols of eternal life.
(d) As symbols of destruction and re-creation.
2. What do the natural science stimulate, in Wilson's account?
(b) Other sciences.
(d) Religious controversy.
3. What does Wilson say the standards that measure scientific knowledge should be based on?
(c) Something real.
4. How did Locke distinguish between culture and history?
(a) Culture was built forward, history was built backward.
(b) Culture was chaotic, history was self-organizing.
(c) Culture followed laws, history evolved.
(d) Culture fostered the passions, history fostered reason.
5. What does science use as proof of a theory?
(b) Repeated experiments.
(c) Phenomena witnessed by neutral observers.
(d) Natural laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea of Locke's survived the Enlightenment into Romanticism?
2. What was Wilson's relationship with the term 'Consilience'?
3. What does Wilson say he was searching for as a young man?
4. What does temporal-lobe epilepsy cause?
5. What claims do philosophers make for the unification of knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe John Locke's influence on Wilson's idea of consilience?
2. How does the modern theory of dreams explain something like the presence and significance of snakes in dreams, in Wilson's account?
3. How would you describe Rousseau's influence on Wilson's idea of consilience?
4. How would you describe Francis Bacon's influence on Wilson's idea of consilience?
5. What consequence does Wilson hope consilience can have on public policy?
6. What is the modern understanding of dreams?
7. How did Wilson arrive at his theory of consilience?
8. What does consilience provide as an educational policy?
9. How do anatomical limitations affect our science, in Wilson's account?
10. How does science impact the arts, in E.O. Wilson's account?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)