|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through To What End?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the arts do that makes them different from the sciences, in Edmund Wilson's account?
(a) Prophesying laws, instead of revealing them.
(b) Register sensations, instead of generating them.
(c) Implicate qualities, instead of defining them.
(d) Generate sensations, instead of measuring them.
2. How does Wilson describe the strength of the French Revolution?
(a) It concentrated wealth in a small group's hands.
(b) It tried to improve educational opportunities.
(c) It appropriated church lands for the people.
(d) It led to the rise of Napoleon.
3. What religion was Wilson born into?
(d) Southern Baptism.
4. Whose ideas influenced the formation of the French slogan "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity"?
(c) de Sade.
5. What is gene-culture evolution?
(a) Development of individuals and races within evolving cultures.
(b) Enrichment of the environment within which genes are altered.
(c) Evolution of the genes that change a species' culture.
(d) Changes in human culture that are driven by genetic changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did economists do during the Marginalist Era in economics?
2. What would need to be true before we could establish the goals and progress of evolutionary processes, in Wilson's account?
3. What is the social cost of violating the incest taboo?
4. How can science help us, in Wilson's account?
5. What is the problem with sociology, in Edmund Wilson's estimation?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)