|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Arts and their Interpretation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the traditional view of art?
(a) That it developed when language developed.
(b) That it is the latest biological development.
(c) That it has no end or purpose except in itself.
(d) That it evolved with the brain's genes.
2. What are epigenetic rules?
(a) The language in which culture expresses itself.
(b) The process of selecting which genes are most desirable in an environment.
(c) Influences that affect the expression of genes.
(d) The cultural effect on genetic expression.
3. What problem does Wilson identify in Freud's research on dreams?
(a) He was monomaniacally focused on childhood sexual trauma.
(b) He didn't test his hypotheses.
(c) He uses mental patients for his experiments.
(d) He experimented with cocaine.
4. What does Edmund Wilson say the arts ultimately create?
(a) Rituals and consistency.
5. According to complexity theory, what is the result of living on the edge of chaos?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Enlightenment thinkers tried to link, in Wilson's account?
2. What religion was Wilson born into?
3. What explanation does Wilson offer for incest taboos?
4. What does Wilson offer as evidence of cross-cultural epi-genetic rules?
5. What purpose does Wilson say dreams serve?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)