|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Arts and their Interpretation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does consilience work?
(a) By breaking things down and putting them back together.
(b) By providing different models for the same behavior.
(c) By providing a context and a practical consequence to each scientific study.
(d) By making science relevant to the humanities.
2. Einstein recognized what in his discoveries, in Wilson's account?
(a) The unity of branches of knowledge.
(b) The unity of complex phenomena.
(c) The impossibility of any unified theories.
(d) The centrality of math in knowledge.
3. Who influenced Wilson's idea of unified learning?
(d) Van Buren.
4. Where do the images of snakes in dreams likely come from, in Wilson's account?
(a) The mystic significance of snakes.
(b) A widespread fear of snakes.
(c) The Bible story of the garden of Eden.
(d) The intuition of subterranean experience.
5. What does Wilson say he was searching for as a young man?
(c) Objective reality.
(d) Mythical experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with anthropology, in Edmund Wilson's estimation?
2. What does Wilson use the discussion of the unity of species to prepare for?
3. What explanation does Wilson offer for incest taboos?
4. What does Wilson credit animals with being able to see?
5. What is the problem with sociology, in Edmund Wilson's estimation?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)