|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ariadne's Thread.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gnostics and alchemists view snakes?
(a) As symbols of divinity.
(b) As symbols of eternal life.
(c) As symbols of the old order of gods.
(d) As symbols of destruction and re-creation.
2. What does Wilson say matters in science?
(b) Paradigm shifts.
(d) Final results.
3. What two fields did Wilson connect in his theory of unified learning?
(a) Classification and evolution.
(b) Epistemology and religion.
(c) Philosophy and evolution.
(d) Evolution and genetics.
4. In Wilson's account, why did the French Revolution fail?
(a) Because of the intellectual opposition to the tyranny of the revolution.
(b) Because the efficiency of the military in the Reign of Terror allowed Napoleon's rise.
(c) Because of international fear of the spread of revolution.
(d) Because of the excesses of tyrants and terrorists.
5. Einstein recognized what in his discoveries, in Wilson's account?
(a) The unity of complex phenomena.
(b) The centrality of math in knowledge.
(c) The unity of branches of knowledge.
(d) The impossibility of any unified theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposed the idea of unity of species that follow a few simple laws?
2. What can biological research do for complexity theory, in Wilson's account?
3. What philosophical assumption underlay the notion that evolution followed simple laws?
4. Where does Wilson propose to test the benefit of consilience?
5. What is reductionism?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)