|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Natural Sciences.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea of Locke's survived the Enlightenment into Romanticism?
(a) The idea of inevitable progress.
(b) The idea of natural rights.
(c) The idea mystical states.
(d) The idea of transcendent experiences.
2. Who proposed the idea of unity of species that follow a few simple laws?
(b) Thales of Miletus.
3. What does Wilson say was the consequence of Robespierre's employment of the concept of the general will?
(a) Napoleon rose to power.
(b) The French undermined their own revolution.
(c) 17,000 Frenchmen were killed.
(d) The French went to war with Russia.
4. What do the laws of physics transcend, in Wilson's account?
5. How can science help us, in Wilson's account?
(a) Science can reveal the extent of human powerlessness.
(b) Science can show us how our impressions are created by our feelings.
(c) Science can expand the limits of what we can see.
(d) Science can give us better stories to tell about psychological nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the idea of intellectual unity foster in the Enlightenment?
2. What does Wilson say the standards that measure scientific knowledge should be based on?
3. What might be a consequence of the unification of knowledge, in Wilson's account?
4. What does Wilson say that humans are incapable of seeing?
5. Who influenced Wilson's idea of unified learning?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)