|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Social Sciences.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose ideas influenced the formation of the French slogan "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity"?
(c) de Sade.
2. What kind of progress does Wilson see in the history of life on earth?
(a) He sees the role of blind chance marring the evolutionary record.
(b) He sees a punctuated equilibrium.
(c) He sees a tendency toward complexity.
(d) He sees a tendency toward adaptation to environment.
3. Why have scientific models of the brain failed to explain consciousness?
(a) Because models of brain activity do not replicate the sense of 'being there' inside the brain.
(b) Because consciousness is always shifting and cannot be modeled.
(c) Because living and reproducing do not require self-understanding.
(d) Because scientists are limited in the experiments they can perform on human beings.
4. What does Edmund Wilson say is the purpose of the social science?
(a) To Keep suppressed cultures alive.
(b) To reveal the hidden meanings in people's actions.
(c) To demonstrate how to conquer other cultures.
(d) To provide a way to control the future.
5. What did economists do during the Marginalist Era in economics?
(a) They used statistics to model mass behaviors.
(b) They used science to analyze motives and trends in the mass.
(c) They described production as the result of supply and demand.
(d) They examined social behaviors as individual activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Laplace pioneer?
2. What does Wilson say was the consequence of Robespierre's employment of the concept of the general will?
3. What methods did Descartes use in his work?
4. What event marks the end of the Enlightenment, in Wilson's account?
5. How many cells comprise the brain?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)