|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Social Sciences.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of progress does Wilson see in the history of life on earth?
(a) He sees a tendency toward adaptation to environment.
(b) He sees a punctuated equilibrium.
(c) He sees a tendency toward complexity.
(d) He sees the role of blind chance marring the evolutionary record.
2. How did Locke distinguish between culture and history?
(a) Culture was built forward, history was built backward.
(b) Culture was chaotic, history was self-organizing.
(c) Culture fostered the passions, history fostered reason.
(d) Culture followed laws, history evolved.
3. What force did John Locke believe in, in Wilson's account?
(a) The civilizing force of discipline.
(b) The nurturing force of the environment.
(c) The damaging force of society.
(d) The therapeutic force of society.
4. What causes economic theories to fail, in Edmund Wilson's estimation?
(a) Lack of integration with religion.
(b) Lack of integration with psychology.
(c) Aloofness from the social environment.
(d) Reliance on statistical analysis instead of creative synthesis.
5. What are social scientists lacking, according to Wilson?
(a) Unity and vision.
(c) Purpose and drive.
(d) Relationships with the humanities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cells comprise the brain?
2. How can scientists monitor the working brain, in Wilson's account?
3. What did the idea of intellectual unity foster in the Enlightenment?
4. How do nerve cells in the brain connect?
5. When was Condorcet born?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)