|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an argument that Augustine learns from his friend Nebridius?
2. What does the story of Victorinus's conversion indicate to Augustine?
3. What does Simplicianus say Victorinus has to do?
4. Besides concrete detail, what else does the mind remember?
5. To what does Augustine come to think the predictions of astrologists are due?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine think of the term formless matter?
2. What does Augustine decide to do by the end of Book VII and how does his mother feel about his decision?
3. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
4. Why does Augustine feel a sort of schizophrenia?
5. What does Augustine decide to do at the beginning of Book IX? How does he do it?
6. What is the story Augustine hears from Ponticianus and what does the story do to Augustine?
7. Discuss the idea Augustine had about the beginning of all and on time.
8. How does Augustine see evil?
9. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
10. What does Augustine say is the use of the senses in dealing with time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In book V, Augustine wants to move to Rome, in Italy. He hears that the students are much more disciplined there. In Carthage, students would walk in and out of class during a lecture and certain students would be very disruptive. Augustine hears that this type of behavior is not tolerated at schools in Rome.
1. Compare and contrast students in that age to those in the present day.
2. What do you think it means to be a "student?" Give examples and think about this idea "outside the box." Can you relate your ideas to Augustine as a student?
3. What do you think it means to be a "teacher?" Give examples and think about this idea "outside the box." Can you relate your ideas to Augustine as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
In Book III, Monica, Augustine's mother, tries to get Augustine to stop his wrong religious beliefs and life, but can't get him to change. Discuss the following ideas:
1. What are the pitfalls of one person trying to persuade another to believe the way the person believes?
2. Why do you think Monica is so desperate to have Augustine convert to her religion?
3. Obviously, parents behave in a similar fashion then as now, i.e., not "allowing" their adult children to go their own way. Do you think Monica is wrong in this?
Essay Topic 3
Augustine compares the Trinity to these three things: existence, knowledge, and will. Augustine does this because he is a being that exists, and that both knows and wills.
1. What do you think Augustine means by existence, knowledge and will?
2. Do you agree with Augustine that he can know what the Trinity is because he has existence, knowledge, and will? Why or why not?
3. Do you think only humans have existence, knowledge, and will or do animals? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)