|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the study of the Platonist do for his study of Christian scripture?
(a) Refutes it.
(b) Intensifies it.
(c) Agrees in some places and is diametrically different in others.
(d) Compliments it.
2. What does Augustine begin to understand from studying the books in question 104?
(a) That corruption is a result of poor choices.
(b) That evil cannot pass through the veil
(c) That God does not look at an evil man.
(d) That evil is a result of ignorance and corruption of the good.
3. What is different between scripture and the books of the Platonists?
(a) Nothing except who authors them.
(b) They both challenge the idea of god, but the scritures first prove the existence of god.
(c) God does not exist in the Platonists' books.
(d) The scritures are older, but say the same things and have the same concept of god as the Platonists.
4. What can the mind remember though it doesn't exist anymore?
(a) The past.
(d) One's past deaths.
5. How do the angels live in heaven?
(a) In silence and awe.
(b) In chaste love.
(c) In joyful physicality.
(d) They don't live in heaven; they are man's helpmates on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beyond what is memory?
2. If two people both believe in the word of God, what can be fruitful?
3. Who accompanies Augustine for the holiday?
4. As time goes on, what happens to the future?
5. What does the mind retain in memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine say about memory?
2. Augustine says why people hate the truth. What does he say about the truth?
3. What does Augustine decide to do at the beginning of Book IX? How does he do it?
4. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
5. Discuss the idea Augustine had about the beginning of all and on time.
6. What is the story Augustine hears from Ponticianus and what does the story do to Augustine?
7. How does Augustine see evil?
8. What does Augustine say is the use of the senses in dealing with time?
9. What is Alypius' view of Jesus and what is Augustine's?
10. Explain why Augustine rejects astrology.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)