|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can the mind remember though it doesn't exist anymore?
(b) The past.
(c) One's past deaths.
2. With whom does Augustine return to Milan?
(a) With his wife.
(b) With his friend Alypius.
(c) With his mother.
(d) No one.
3. What does the Roman empress Justina favor?
(a) The Pope over the Greek gods.
(b) The Greek gods over those of the Romans.
(c) Celtic gods.
(d) The Arian heresy over Christianity.
4. What does the story of Victorinus's conversion indicate to Augustine?
(a) The lengths Christians will go to to save a soul.
(b) The deep compatibility between Platonic philosophy and Catholic Christianity.
(c) That a man wiser than Augustine chose it, so it would be right for Augustine.
(d) That it is never to late to change.
5. With what word in the scriptures is Augustine particularly fascinated?
Short Answer Questions
1. Beyond what is memory?
2. What is Augustine's new life?
3. What is non-existent except when it is the present?
4. How does Augustine create his own image of the Heaven of Heavens?
5. What question does Augustine ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the church in Milan and what Christian tradition was started there?
2. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
3. What does Augustine decide to do at the beginning of Book IX? How does he do it?
4. What does Augustine say is the use of the senses in dealing with time?
5. What does Augustine say about formlessness?
6. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
7. Augustine says why people hate the truth. What does he say about the truth?
8. Why does Augustine feel a sort of schizophrenia?
9. How does Augustine describe wisdom?
10. What does Augustine say about the heavens?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)