|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can there be more than one interpretation of a piece of scripture?
(a) Because it can have a surface meaning and a deeper meaning.
(b) Because it is applicable to man one way and to woman in a different way.
(c) Because it can mean different things in different cultures.
(d) Because God is infinte.
2. What do we remember when we are sad?
(a) The past.
3. Besides concrete detail, what else does the mind remember?
4. What is the heaven of heavens?
(a) The sky over the earth.
(b) A place where God has his house and the angels and other beings are.
(c) The highest level of heaven to which man can rise.
(d) The sky over heaven.
5. How do the angels live in heaven?
(a) In chaste love.
(b) In joyful physicality.
(c) They don't live in heaven; they are man's helpmates on earth.
(d) In silence and awe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustine say is wrong about the existence of God in time?
2. Before the Heavens and the Earth existed what does Augustine say did not exist?
3. Beyond what is memory?
4. What does the study of the Platonist do for his study of Christian scripture?
5. What is Augustine's new life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
2. What does Augustine decide to do at the beginning of Book IX? How does he do it?
3. What does Augustine say about the past, future and present?
4. What does Augustine say about formlessness?
5. Discuss the idea Augustine had about the beginning of all and on time.
6. What is Alypius' view of Jesus and what is Augustine's?
7. How does Augustine describe wisdom?
8. What happened at the church in Milan and what Christian tradition was started there?
9. How does Augustine see different interpretations of Scripture?
10. Explain why Augustine rejects astrology.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)