|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Verecundus before his death?
(a) He converts to Manicheanism.
(b) He is ex-communicated.
(c) He has a vision of angels hovering around him.
(d) He is baptized.
2. Why does Simplicianus have to stop teaching rhetoric?
(a) The Pope forbids it of Christians.
(b) His congregation thinks it is heretical.
(c) The Roman Emperor Julian forbids Christians to teach rhetoric.
(d) His eyesight is failing.
3. What is an argument that Augustine learns from his friend Nebridius?
(a) That evil is created to draw man to God.
(b) That light is all that is and therefore dark is nothing.
(c) If the darkness could harm God, he wouldn't be the Almighty God.
(d) That evil is only the imagination of man.
4. Besides concrete detail, what else does the mind remember?
5. What is Augustine's new life?
(a) With the woman he marries.
(b) Moving to Britain and starting a monastery.
(c) Going to Africa to preach.
(d) As a monk of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is buried near the Tiber River?
2. Into what can the devil make himself?
3. Before the Heavens and the Earth existed what does Augustine say did not exist?
4. In the Manichean doctrine, what does light and darkness represent?
5. What differs for each individual and even at different periods of a person's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustine see different interpretations of Scripture?
2. What happened at the church in Milan and what Christian tradition was started there?
3. What does Augustine decide to do at the beginning of Book IX? How does he do it?
4. What does Augustine say about music and pleasure?
5. What does Augustine say about the past, future and present?
6. What does Augustine say about formlessness?
7. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
8. What does Augustine say about memory?
9. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
10. What does Augustine think of the term formless matter?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)