|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must one avoid in interpreting the scriptures?
(a) Satan's insidious whispers.
(d) Slothful thinking.
2. Instead of having a body, how does Augustine see God?
(a) As having some sort of material substance.
(b) As vibration.
(c) As thought only.
(d) As spirit only.
3. What does the story of Victorinus's conversion indicate to Augustine?
(a) The deep compatibility between Platonic philosophy and Catholic Christianity.
(b) That it is never to late to change.
(c) The lengths Christians will go to to save a soul.
(d) That a man wiser than Augustine chose it, so it would be right for Augustine.
4. Why is Augustine angry with the Manicheans?
(a) They had provided him with an excuse for his behavior for so long.
(b) He is not angry with them.
(c) They changed a very important part of their creed.
(d) They ex-communicated him.
5. What is an argument that Augustine learns from his friend Nebridius?
(a) That evil is only the imagination of man.
(b) That evil is created to draw man to God.
(c) If the darkness could harm God, he wouldn't be the Almighty God.
(d) That light is all that is and therefore dark is nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augustine define formlessness?
2. What differs for each individual and even at different periods of a person's life?
3. What does the faithful begin doing under the guidance of Ambrose?
4. What does Augustine say is wrong about the existence of God in time?
5. How does God create sky, water and earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustine see different interpretations of Scripture?
2. Explain why Augustine rejects astrology.
3. Augustine says why people hate the truth. What does he say about the truth?
4. What does Augustine say about the heavens?
5. What is Alypius' view of Jesus and what is Augustine's?
6. Why does Augustine feel a sort of schizophrenia?
7. What does Augustine say is the use of the senses in dealing with time?
8. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
9. What does Augustine say about formlessness?
10. What does Augustine decide to do by the end of Book VII and how does his mother feel about his decision?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)