|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is a human being, no matter how saintly, never fully free?
(a) The past.
(d) The need for sexual release.
2. Where does Augustus go for the Vintage holiday?
(a) To Florence.
(b) To a country retreat estate in Cassiciacum.
(c) To Carthage.
(d) To Britian.
3. As time goes on, what happens to the future?
(a) It moves farther into the future.
(b) It was never real so nothing happens to it.
(c) The future passes the point of the present, and is consumed, becoming the past.
(d) It recedes into non-existence.
4. What differs for each individual and even at different periods of a person's life?
(d) The happy life.
5. What does the faithful begin doing under the guidance of Ambrose?
(a) Baptizing all who want to be, even Jews.
(b) Trying to convert servants in the palace to maybe reach Justina eventually.
(c) Singing hymns in order to maintain their strength while protecting the church.
(d) Preaching to the ends of the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does not signal the end of Augustine's struggles?
2. With whom does Augustine return to Milan?
3. What does the story of Victorinus's conversion indicate to Augustine?
4. What tempts Augustine in this part of his life?
5. What question does Augustine ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Victorinus and what has he done in his life?
2. What does Augustine say about memory?
3. What is Alypius' view of Jesus and what is Augustine's?
4. What does Augustine say about the past, future and present?
5. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
6. What does Augustine say is the use of the senses in dealing with time?
7. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
8. What does Augustine say about his mother's upbringing and some of her behaviors as a married woman?
9. What does Augustine say about music and pleasure?
10. Why does Augustine feel a sort of schizophrenia?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)