|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Augustine leave Carthage and his mother?
(a) By sneaking away while his mother is in Athens.
(b) With her disowning him.
(c) He pretends to just be seeing a friend off at the docks but gets on a ship, too.
(d) With his mother's blessings.
2. What is Augustine's native language?
3. What is the meaning of the phrase that God creates man in his own image?
(a) It is a metaphor referring to the Godlike attributes of man being also a creative and reasoning creature.
(b) It means God creates only man; woman already existed.
(c) That God has a physical body very much like that of a man.
(d) That man needed God's image and woman don't as they are already pure.
4. What does Augustine find odd about Hortensius?
(a) It does not promote any religion or sect.
(b) He is a very religious man.
(c) It is very strongly biased towards Christianity.
(d) It is written in Hebrew.
5. Who leaves Augustine to return to Africa?
(a) His mistress of many years.
(b) His best friend Alypius.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
2. What is Augustine thinking of doing?
3. What notion does Augustine attack?
4. How does Augustine possibly cross the boundaries between friendship and sex?
5. At the beginning of this book, where is Augustine a student?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
2. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
3. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
4. What does Augustine foreshadow about philosophy and himself?
5. How has Augustine solved the problem of his lust and what is the result of this solution?
6. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
7. How does Augustine's initial conversion to Christianity come about?
8. What type of job does Augustine do and where does he get his money?
9. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
10. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)