|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Augustine teach?
(a) Painting and architecture.
(c) Liberal arts and rhetoric.
(d) Algebra and Calculus.
2. Upon what does Augustine wonder?
(a) If his father was truly moral.
(b) The lack of even the basic morality of observance of the Ten Commandments in his vicinity.
(c) If his mother wanted him to become a philosopher.
(d) Whether Jesus really existed.
3. Why doesn't Ambrose want wine brought to the tombs?
(a) It encourages sloth.
(b) He doesn't mind wine at the tombs.
(c) It will ferment more and create bad smells.
(d) It may encourage drunkeness.
4. What does Augustine resent about his studies of Latin and Greek literature?
(a) How the teachers thought they were so important.
(b) How it alienates him from his classmates.
(c) How it took up so much of his youth.
(d) How he was led astray morally by some of the stories.
5. Who leaves Augustine to return to Africa?
(a) His best friend Alypius.
(b) His mother.
(d) His mistress of many years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Manicheans believe about man's soul?
2. Instead of studying the literal meaning of a phrase what is important to study?
3. Who is Fautus?
4. Which of Augustine's friends laughed at predicting the future through stargazing?
5. What is Augustine's position in his circle of friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
2. How does Augustine's initial conversion to Christianity come about?
3. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
4. What does Augustine feel the pear tree incident symbolized?
5. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
6. What type of job does Augustine do and where does he get his money?
7. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
8. Why did one of Augustine's friends abandon Christianity and what happens after that?
9. What does Augustine decide about reading Scripture and interpreting it?
10. What do the Manicheans believe about food?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)