|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Augustine's father is willing to shoulder large financial burdens?
(a) To have servants to care for his children.
(b) To have large doweries for his daughters.
(c) To give his wife a luxurious lifestyle.
(d) To help Augustine succeed.
2. What does a Christian priest predict of Augustine?
(a) He will change and convert to Christianity.
(b) He will become a great defender of the Greek gods.
(c) He will die in his sins.
(d) He will never live long enough to repent.
3. By what does Augustine feel overwhelmed?
(a) By the power of sin and death.
(b) By the task set before him by God.
(c) By his inability to corrupt his friends faith.
(d) By his friend's miraculous recovery.
4. What do the Manicheans believe about man's soul?
(a) Women have souls but men do not.
(b) Man does not have a soul.
(c) Every man has a soul of light, good, and a soul of darkness.
(d) Men have souls but women do not.
5. Instead of learning Christian stories, what does Augustine learn?
(a) How to be a successful businessman.
(b) The precepts of Buddhism.
(c) He learned and admired the Gods in pagan myths.
(d) How to be a soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Augustine dislike?
2. What is one of Augustine's future struggles in life?
3. What is Augustine's native language?
4. How does Augustine later view the Manichean myths?
5. What does Augustine teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
2. Who teaches Augustine about astrology and what does he say?
3. What does Augustine foreshadow about philosophy and himself?
4. What happens with Augustine and the Manicheans and why?
5. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
6. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
7. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
8. What type of job does Augustine do and where does he get his money?
9. Why did one of Augustine's friends abandon Christianity and what happens after that?
10. How do the questions Augustine have about God and the world affect his faith?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)