|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom was the book he lost dedicated?
(a) Monica, his mother.
(c) His wife.
2. How does Augustine later view the Manichean myths?
(a) As evil.
(b) As correct by incomplete.
(c) As ridiculous.
(d) As misguided.
3. Besides thievery, in what is Augustine involved?
(c) Cheating on his exams.
4. In what does Augustine try to be honest?
(a) In how he teaches.
(b) In telling his parents about his life.
(c) In the various competitions in which he participates.
(d) In paying his taxes to Rome.
5. What does Augustine say about people like his mother, Monica?
(a) That she had very little influence on him.
(b) That she led him astray through her wantoness.
(c) That she was the only one whose intentions were always best for Augustine.
(d) That though righteous, she did not always have the best of intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Augustine married?
2. What does Augustine feel when he reads of Zeus engaging in fornication and being powerful?
3. What happens to a friend who is ill and unconscious?
4. What does Augustine call his living arrangement?
5. What is one of Augustine's future struggles in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine decide about reading Scripture and interpreting it?
2. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
3. What is the story Augustine hears from Ponticianus and what does the story do to Augustine?
4. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
5. What does Augustine say about the heavens?
6. How does Augustine feel about the Christianity he comes in contact with and what does he observe about the morals of Christians?
7. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
8. What kind of pressure does Augustine feel as a young person and what does he do about it?
9. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
10. How does Augustine see different interpretations of Scripture?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)