|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Fables of Manes?
(a) A book that tells how to care for horses.
(b) A book of fables about the creation of the earth.
(c) A book of the Manicheans.
(d) A book written by Aesop.
2. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
(a) A slovenly attitude towards studying.
(b) Being unable to pray for years.
(c) A lack of faith in the true God.
(d) His personal corruption.
3. Who joins Augustus in Milan?
(a) His brother.
(b) No one.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
4. What does Augustine say about people like his mother, Monica?
(a) That she was the only one whose intentions were always best for Augustine.
(b) That she had very little influence on him.
(c) That though righteous, she did not always have the best of intentions.
(d) That she led him astray through her wantoness.
5. What is the name of a book Augustine wrote that he later lost?
(a) "The Beautiful Fits All Souls."
(b) "The Beautiful and the Fitting."
(c) "Fitting One's Soul in the Earthly Physical Life."
(d) "The Fitting Way of Life and Death."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustine refuse?
2. Who is Fautus?
3. At the beginning of this book, where is Augustine a student?
4. At one point, what does Augustine believe about evil?
5. By what does Augustine feel overwhelmed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did one of Augustine's friends abandon Christianity and what happens after that?
2. What did Augustine write about that involved a theft of pears and how did he feel about it?
3. Basically, what is Confessions about?
4. What does Augustine believe about the men in the Bible and how does he apply that to people in general?
5. What did Augustine wonder about in relationship to God and the world and what are a couple of the questions he asked?
6. How does Monica feel about Augustine moving and how does he get around her?
7. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
8. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
9. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
10. How does Augustine's initial conversion to Christianity come about?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)