|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alypius finally give up doing?
(a) Studying Buddhism.
(b) Watching the gladiator and circus games.
(c) Following the Manichean sect.
(d) Sex outside of marriage.
2. In what way does God work?
(a) In a roundabout way.
(b) In ways that are lofty.
(c) Mysterious ways.
(d) In ways that are perfectly logical.
3. How does Augustine see Christianity as being deficient?
(a) It doesn't promote change through violence or any means possible.
(b) It is too improbable.
(c) It fails to impress Augustine with its superior viewpoint to the many other religions and sects available.
(d) It is too simplistic.
4. What does Augustine call his living arrangement?
(a) A marriage made in heaven.
(b) The best of both worlds.
(c) A temporary truce with lust.
(d) An arrangement of convenience based on lust.
5. What does Augustine teach?
(a) Painting and architecture.
(b) Algebra and Calculus.
(c) Liberal arts and rhetoric.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Augustine's future struggles in life?
2. Though Augustine is proficient in learning the sciences and philosophy of his time what is he unable to formulate?
3. How does Augustine change his view of evil?
4. Why does Augustine want to move to Rome?
5. Who does Augustine arrange to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
2. What does Augustine decide about reading Scripture and interpreting it?
3. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
4. What is Augustine's primary thoughts of when he arrives in Carthage and what does he do with them?
5. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
6. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
7. How do the questions Augustine have about God and the world affect his faith?
8. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
9. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
10. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)