|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Christian priest predict of Augustine?
(a) He will become a great defender of the Greek gods.
(b) He will change and convert to Christianity.
(c) He will never live long enough to repent.
(d) He will die in his sins.
2. Instead of studying the literal meaning of a phrase what is important to study?
(a) It is better not to study, but to pray for enlightment.
(b) The implied meaning, though it is also literal.
(c) The spirit and intent of the Scriptures.
(d) The individual meanings of the words in the phrase.
3. What is the name of a book Augustine wrote that he later lost?
(a) "Fitting One's Soul in the Earthly Physical Life."
(b) "The Beautiful Fits All Souls."
(c) "The Beautiful and the Fitting."
(d) "The Fitting Way of Life and Death."
4. Why do Augustine and his friends steal a pear?
(a) Because there is a beggar who is starving and they give it to him.
(b) For the pure pleasure of thievery.
(c) Because they are hungry students.
(d) Because the owner of the fruit trees had insulted them.
5. What is Augustine's native language?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when men act wickedly?
2. Instead of learning Christian stories, what does Augustine learn?
3. Where does Augustine go to study?
4. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
5. Upon what does Augustine reflect as to the nature of life and death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
2. Why does Augustine feel a sort of schizophrenia?
3. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
4. Who is Victorinus and what has he done in his life?
5. What is the story Augustine hears from Ponticianus and what does the story do to Augustine?
6. What happened at the church in Milan and what Christian tradition was started there?
7. What is Alypius' view of Jesus and what is Augustine's?
8. How does Augustine describe wisdom?
9. What does Augustine say is the use of the senses in dealing with time?
10. What does Augustine's parents want for him?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)