|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interests Augustine more than higher goals or values?
(a) Love and friendship.
(b) Intellectual knowledge.
(c) Success and fame.
2. Where does Monica want Augustine to be?
(a) In Carthage and Africa.
(b) In the Vatican.
(c) In Rome.
(d) In Florence.
3. At one point, what does Augustine believe about evil?
(a) That it is an independant force.
(b) That it is as powerful a force as God.
(c) That it doesn't exist.
(d) That it is just one aspect of God.
4. How does Augustine possibly cross the boundaries between friendship and sex?
(a) Being sexually involved with a male friend.
(b) Being friends with a woman and then seducing her under the guise of friendship.
(c) Having sex with the wives of male friends.
(d) He never confuses the two states of being.
5. What does Augustine resent about his studies of Latin and Greek literature?
(a) How the teachers thought they were so important.
(b) How it alienates him from his classmates.
(c) How he was led astray morally by some of the stories.
(d) How it took up so much of his youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
2. What does Augustine struggle to learn in school?
3. How could Augustine's "journey" be categorized?
4. What sect does Augustine prefer?
5. Upon what does Augustine reflect as to the nature of life and death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustine's initial conversion to Christianity come about?
2. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
3. What does Augustine's parents want for him?
4. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
5. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
6. What did Augustine write about that involved a theft of pears and how did he feel about it?
7. Who teaches Augustine about astrology and what does he say?
8. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
9. Basically, what is Confessions about?
10. Where is Augustine a student in Carthage and why does he study so diligently?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)