|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interests Augustine more than higher goals or values?
(b) Intellectual knowledge.
(c) Love and friendship.
(d) Success and fame.
2. Why does Augustine wish his family had arranged a marriage for him?
(a) For the prestige that a marriage could have brought.
(b) So that at least his sexual lust would have produced a family.
(c) So that he wouldn't have to become a monk.
(d) So his mother could be taken care of.
3. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
(a) Being unable to pray for years.
(b) His personal corruption.
(c) A lack of faith in the true God.
(d) A slovenly attitude towards studying.
4. Who offers Augustine explanations of the Manichean philosophy which does not satisfy Augustine?
5. Who writes Hortensius?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
2. Where does Augustine go to study?
3. Why is Augustine's father is willing to shoulder large financial burdens?
4. What does Hortensius promote?
5. How does Augustine possibly cross the boundaries between friendship and sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine believe about the men in the Bible and how does he apply that to people in general?
2. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
3. What does Augustine feel the pear tree incident symbolized?
4. Why did one of Augustine's friends abandon Christianity and what happens after that?
5. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
6. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
7. What happens with Augustine and the Manicheans and why?
8. How does Augustine feel about the Christianity he comes in contact with and what does he observe about the morals of Christians?
9. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
10. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)