|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of learning Christian stories, what does Augustine learn?
(a) The precepts of Buddhism.
(b) How to be a soldier.
(c) He learned and admired the Gods in pagan myths.
(d) How to be a successful businessman.
2. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
3. Why doesn't Ambrose want wine brought to the tombs?
(a) It encourages sloth.
(b) It may encourage drunkeness.
(c) He doesn't mind wine at the tombs.
(d) It will ferment more and create bad smells.
4. What about Augustine are both of his parents proud?
(a) His wit.
(b) His intellect.
(c) His kindness.
(d) His appeal to women.
5. Why does Augustine read books of rhetoric?
(a) He wants to learn to argue like they do.
(b) To make a name for himself.
(c) He is required to do so.
(d) He is pleasing his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Fables of Manes?
2. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
3. What happens when men act wickedly?
4. What is a flaw in the book in number 70?
5. For what is there always a rationale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the questions Augustine have about God and the world affect his faith?
2. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
3. What did Augustine wonder about in relationship to God and the world and what are a couple of the questions he asked?
4. What type of job does Augustine do and where does he get his money?
5. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
6. Who teaches Augustine about astrology and what does he say?
7. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
8. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
9. What did Augustine write about that involved a theft of pears and how did he feel about it?
10. What does Augustine decide about reading Scripture and interpreting it?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)