|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Augustine preoccupied?
(a) Learning languages.
(b) Drama both on stage and in real life.
(c) Becoming holy.
(d) Taking a trip to the Holy Lands.
2. What is the meaning of the phrase that God creates man in his own image?
(a) It means God creates only man; woman already existed.
(b) It is a metaphor referring to the Godlike attributes of man being also a creative and reasoning creature.
(c) That God has a physical body very much like that of a man.
(d) That man needed God's image and woman don't as they are already pure.
3. What interests Augustine more than higher goals or values?
(a) Intellectual knowledge.
(b) Love and friendship.
(c) Success and fame.
4. Who does Augustine arrange to marry?
(a) A woman he meets there in Milan who is a teacher also.
(b) A woman he knew from childhood.
(c) No one; he decides to never marry.
(d) A girl who is two years underage.
5. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
(a) A deep depression.
(b) The a life of glory for God.
(c) A pit of despair.
(d) Sin and lustful behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ambrose's intent about his preferences at the tombs?
2. When does Augustine believe a person starts sinning?
3. Who writes Hortensius?
4. What author does Augustine dislike?
5. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
2. Who teaches Augustine about astrology and what does he say?
3. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
4. What do the Manicheans believe about food?
5. What are Augustine's reflections on life and death?
6. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
7. What does Augustine decide about reading Scripture and interpreting it?
8. How does Augustine feel about the Christianity he comes in contact with and what does he observe about the morals of Christians?
9. What does Augustine believe about the men in the Bible and how does he apply that to people in general?
10. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)