|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Augustine in love?
(a) With vice.
(b) With being in love.
(c) With himself.
(d) With violence.
2. Why doesn't Ambrose want wine brought to the tombs?
(a) It may encourage drunkeness.
(b) It encourages sloth.
(c) He doesn't mind wine at the tombs.
(d) It will ferment more and create bad smells.
3. By what does Augustine feel overwhelmed?
(a) By his friend's miraculous recovery.
(b) By the task set before him by God.
(c) By the power of sin and death.
(d) By his inability to corrupt his friends faith.
4. What is one of Augustine's future struggles in life?
(a) Whether to marry his childhood sweetheart and enter into sins of the flesh.
(b) If he should take vows with the church.
(c) To allow those he love to walk their own path.
(d) To have the spirit of truth and faith to inform his and others' good deeds.
5. What is Ambrose's intent about his preferences at the tombs?
(a) To keep people from getting too joyful.
(b) To promote restraint and moral behavior.
(c) To keep the wrong kind of people out.
(d) To promote a higher spiritual communion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustine feel when he reads of Zeus engaging in fornication and being powerful?
2. What does Augustine teach?
3. What is better to seek after than earthly pleasures?
4. Why is Augustine's father is willing to shoulder large financial burdens?
5. Who is Fautus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
2. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
3. Basically, what is Confessions about?
4. How does Monica feel about Augustine moving and how does he get around her?
5. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
6. What do the Manicheans believe about food?
7. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
8. What happens with Augustine and the Manicheans and why?
9. What is Augustine's primary thoughts of when he arrives in Carthage and what does he do with them?
10. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)