|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a friend who is ill and unconscious?
(a) His is exorcised.
(b) He is baptized.
(c) He has a miraculous recovery and outlives Augustine.
(d) They use leeches on him.
2. What is one of Augustine's greatest faults as a boy and young man?
(a) He really had few faults, not too bad.
(b) Too serious.
(c) Overly diligent.
3. When does Augustine believe a person starts sinning?
(a) At puberty.
(b) Right at infancy.
(d) When one becomes married.
4. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
5. Why is Augustine unable to believe in Jesus?
(a) He thinks it is impossible for God to be also human.
(b) He thinks Jesus is too good to be true.
(c) He thinks Jesus wasn't a real person.
(d) He thinks Christ would be defiled by being born of the Virgin Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Augustine's friends laughed at predicting the future through stargazing?
2. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
3. Why doesn't Ambrose want wine brought to the tombs?
4. What is Augustine's native language?
5. How long as Augustine been a member of the Manichean sect when he is 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
2. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
3. How does Augustine feel about the Christianity he comes in contact with and what does he observe about the morals of Christians?
4. What does Augustine believe about the men in the Bible and how does he apply that to people in general?
5. Who teaches Augustine about astrology and what does he say?
6. What are Augustine's reflections on life and death?
7. What kind of pressure does Augustine feel as a young person and what does he do about it?
8. What intensifies as Augustine grows into a young man and of what type of behavior does he indulge?
9. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
10. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)