|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ambrose say to bring to the tombs of the saints?
(d) Animal sacrifices.
2. When does Augustine believe a person starts sinning?
(b) When one becomes married.
(c) At puberty.
(d) Right at infancy.
3. For what is the stealing of the pear a metaphor?
(a) Those who grab the fruits of goodness without having the spirit of righteousness.
(b) The hopes for fruit without labor.
(c) The desire for goodness without being good.
(d) The good of the earth tainted by Satan.
4. How long as Augustine been a member of the Manichean sect when he is 29?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 19 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 3 years.
5. Why does Augustine wish his family had arranged a marriage for him?
(a) So that at least his sexual lust would have produced a family.
(b) So his mother could be taken care of.
(c) For the prestige that a marriage could have brought.
(d) So that he wouldn't have to become a monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustine find a woman to live with him while his fiance is too young?
2. What is better to seek after than earthly pleasures?
3. Why does Augustine want to move to Rome?
4. Who offers Augustine explanations of the Manichean philosophy which does not satisfy Augustine?
5. How could Augustine's "journey" be categorized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Augustine's primary thoughts of when he arrives in Carthage and what does he do with them?
2. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
3. What does Augustine foreshadow about philosophy and himself?
4. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
5. How do the questions Augustine have about God and the world affect his faith?
6. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
7. How does Augustine's initial conversion to Christianity come about?
8. What are Augustine's reflections on life and death?
9. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
10. Basically, what is Confessions about?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)