|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Adeodatus?
(a) Augustine's current rhetoric teacher.
(b) Augustine's cousin.
(c) Augustine's brother.
(d) Augustine's son.
2. On what does Augustine eventually blame his actions?
(a) His own violition.
(b) His parents pushing his to succeed.
(c) God's disinterest in him.
(d) An evil force.
3. What does Augustine teach?
(b) Liberal arts and rhetoric.
(c) Painting and architecture.
(d) Algebra and Calculus.
4. At the beginning of this book, where is Augustine a student?
(a) School of Philosophy in Athens.
(b) He is out of school.
(c) Lysortium Rhetorium in Rome.
(d) School of Rhetoric in Carthage.
5. What does a Christian priest predict of Augustine?
(a) He will become a great defender of the Greek gods.
(b) He will change and convert to Christianity.
(c) He will never live long enough to repent.
(d) He will die in his sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Augustine married?
2. What happens to a friend who is ill and unconscious?
3. With what is Augustine preoccupied?
4. What does Augustine feel when he reads of Zeus engaging in fornication and being powerful?
5. What does Augustine fear that the pagan myths that he learned studying literature led to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
2. What does Augustine fear about the effect of studying pagan myths when he was young?
3. How does Augustine feel about the Christianity he comes in contact with and what does he observe about the morals of Christians?
4. What is Augustine's primary thoughts of when he arrives in Carthage and what does he do with them?
5. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
6. How does Monica feel about Augustine moving and how does he get around her?
7. What does Augustine feel the pear tree incident symbolized?
8. Who teaches Augustine about astrology and what does he say?
9. What kind of pressure does Augustine feel as a young person and what does he do about it?
10. What happens with Augustine and the Manicheans and why?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)