Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Fables of Manes?
(a) A book of the Manicheans.
(b) A book of fables about the creation of the earth.
(c) A book written by Aesop.
(d) A book that tells how to care for horses.
2. Instead of studying the literal meaning of a phrase what is important to study?
(a) The spirit and intent of the Scriptures.
(b) The individual meanings of the words in the phrase.
(c) It is better not to study, but to pray for enlightment.
(d) The implied meaning, though it is also literal.
3. How does Augustine possibly cross the boundaries between friendship and sex?
(a) He never confuses the two states of being.
(b) Having sex with the wives of male friends.
(c) Being friends with a woman and then seducing her under the guise of friendship.
(d) Being sexually involved with a male friend.
4. What sort of philosophy does Augustine have?
5. Who is Fautus?
(a) Bishop of the Manicheans.
(b) Archbishop of Carthage.
(c) A character in a play by Cicero.
(d) The Pope's Secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a friend who is ill and unconscious?
2. What book does Augustine understand that challenges many people?
3. How could Augustine's "journey" be categorized?
4. When does Augustine believe a person starts sinning?
5. What does Augustine teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustine describe wisdom?
2. By the beginning of Book VII, how does Augustine begin to think of God?
3. What does Augustine say about the past, future and present?
4. What does Augustine say about his mother's upbringing and some of her behaviors as a married woman?
5. What does Augustine say about his "sins" as a schoolboy and his teachers reaction to them?
6. What gives Augustine an excuse to continue following his baser desires?
7. To what does Augustine compare the lower orders of human consciousness? What about the higher order?
8. What does Augustine's parents want for him?
9. Who is Victorinus and what has he done in his life?
10. How does Augustine feel about the Christianity he comes in contact with and what does he observe about the morals of Christians?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)