|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Augustine later view the Manichean myths?
(a) As misguided.
(b) As ridiculous.
(c) As correct by incomplete.
(d) As evil.
2. What is Augustine's native language?
3. At one point, what does Augustine believe about evil?
(a) That it is an independant force.
(b) That it doesn't exist.
(c) That it is just one aspect of God.
(d) That it is as powerful a force as God.
4. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
(a) A pit of despair.
(b) The a life of glory for God.
(c) Sin and lustful behavior.
(d) A deep depression.
5. What interests Augustine more than higher goals or values?
(b) Love and friendship.
(c) Intellectual knowledge.
(d) Success and fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides thievery, in what is Augustine involved?
2. What is Augustine thinking of doing?
3. What drives Augustine farther away from thoughts of God?
4. How long as Augustine been a member of the Manichean sect when he is 29?
5. Who leaves Augustine to return to Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustine believe about the men in the Bible and how does he apply that to people in general?
2. What are Augustine's reflections on life and death?
3. Why did one of Augustine's friends abandon Christianity and what happens after that?
4. What type of religion ensnares Augustine's interest?
5. What does Augustine decide about reading Scripture and interpreting it?
6. What happens with Augustine and the Manicheans and why?
7. As a young man how does Augustine feel about love and what doesn't he understand about it?
8. What does Augustine say is the difference between how the simple-minded and intellectuals read and understand the Scriptures?
9. What does Augustine's parents want for him?
10. What kind of pressure does Augustine feel as a young person and what does he do about it?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)