|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Augustine unable to believe in Jesus?
(a) He thinks Christ would be defiled by being born of the Virgin Mary.
(b) He thinks Jesus is too good to be true.
(c) He thinks Jesus wasn't a real person.
(d) He thinks it is impossible for God to be also human.
2. Why does Augustine get in trouble?
(a) He follows his friends who are smarter than he.
(b) He believes he deserves a better life.
(c) He is angry with his father.
(d) He has no discipline.
3. How does Augustine leave Carthage and his mother?
(a) With his mother's blessings.
(b) By sneaking away while his mother is in Athens.
(c) He pretends to just be seeing a friend off at the docks but gets on a ship, too.
(d) With her disowning him.
4. What does Augustine teach?
(a) Liberal arts and rhetoric.
(c) Painting and architecture.
(d) Algebra and Calculus.
5. What does Augustine feel when he reads of Zeus engaging in fornication and being powerful?
(a) He wants to do these deeds.
(d) Curious as to why a god would do that.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the phrase that God creates man in his own image?
2. Though Augustine is proficient in learning the sciences and philosophy of his time what is he unable to formulate?
3. Into what has St. Augustine sunk?
4. Who does Augustine meet in Milan?
5. What does Ambrose say to bring to the tombs of the saints?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Augustine's reflections on life and death?
2. What does Augustine say about his mother's upbringing and some of her behaviors as a married woman?
3. What kind of pressure does Augustine feel as a young person and what does he do about it?
4. How has Augustine solved the problem of his lust and what is the result of this solution?
5. How does Augustine interpret the words "heaven and earth?"
6. What does Augustine say about memory?
7. What does Augustine say about writing his confession?
8. What does Augustine feel the pear tree incident symbolized?
9. What is Augustine's thinking on marriage?
10. Augustine says he wrote Confessions for what reason?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)