|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Augustine get in trouble?
(a) He follows his friends who are smarter than he.
(b) He is angry with his father.
(c) He has no discipline.
(d) He believes he deserves a better life.
2. How would you characterize Augustine in this Book?
(a) A mama's boy.
(b) A pious young man.
(c) A serious and studies young man.
(d) A sinful young man.
3. What is a flaw in the book in number 70?
(a) It uses poor logic.
(b) It has only one premise and no synthesis.
(c) It's thesis is flawed.
(d) It ignores the possibility of God's existence.
4. What happens to a friend who is ill and unconscious?
(a) His is exorcised.
(b) They use leeches on him.
(c) He has a miraculous recovery and outlives Augustine.
(d) He is baptized.
5. How does Augustine possibly cross the boundaries between friendship and sex?
(a) Having sex with the wives of male friends.
(b) Being friends with a woman and then seducing her under the guise of friendship.
(c) Being sexually involved with a male friend.
(d) He never confuses the two states of being.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Manicheans believe about man's soul?
2. Why does Augustine read books of rhetoric?
3. On what does Augustine eventually blame his actions?
4. What is the name of a book Augustine wrote that he later lost?
5. Who joins Augustus in Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story Augustine hears from Ponticianus and what does the story do to Augustine?
2. What does Augustine say about the heavens?
3. Explain why Augustine rejects astrology.
4. Where is Augustine a student in Carthage and why does he study so diligently?
5. Where does Augustine want to move and why?
6. Augustine says why people hate the truth. What does he say about the truth?
7. How does Augustine see different interpretations of Scripture?
8. What does Augustine's parents want for him?
9. What does Augustine decide to do at the beginning of Book IX? How does he do it?
10. What did Augustine write about that involved a theft of pears and how did he feel about it?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)