|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do men receive reflected wisdom from God?
(a) By the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.
(b) By meditation.
(c) By thinking about the words in the bible.
(d) By saying a mantra over and over.
2. If two people both believe in the word of God, what can be fruitful?
(b) Compromise on interpretation.
(c) Witnessing to a third.
(d) Debate about interpretations.
3. What happens to Verecundus before his death?
(a) He is baptized.
(b) He converts to Manicheanism.
(c) He is ex-communicated.
(d) He has a vision of angels hovering around him.
4. What does Augustine want to measure?
(a) Length and breadth.
(b) Time and length.
(c) Time and non-time.
(d) Time and breadth.
5. What do we remember when we are sad?
(b) The past.
6. How does Augustine define formlessness?
(a) As ineffable.
(b) As everything.
(c) As substance to be wrought by the thought of God.
(d) As close to nothing, but capable of receiving form.
7. What does Augustine wonder about concerning God before creation?
(a) If God existed doing nothing.
(b) If God creates god and Satan creates evil at the same time to cancel each other out.
(c) If God created himself at the same time as creation.
(d) If God really created everything.
8. What does scripture not discuss?
(a) Why God creates.
(b) The creation of formless matter.
(c) The creation of mankind.
(d) How to be creators also.
9. With whom does Augustine return to Milan?
(a) With his friend Alypius.
(b) With his mother.
(c) With his wife.
(d) No one.
10. What tempts Augustine in this part of his life?
11. Who is Simplicianus?
(a) Augustine's mother's older brother.
(b) One of the teachers in Carthage whom Augustine despises.
(c) An old man and a teacher of Ambrose.
(d) Augustine's new born son.
12. With what word in the scriptures is Augustine particularly fascinated?
13. What is Augustine's new life?
(a) As a monk of the church.
(b) Moving to Britain and starting a monastery.
(c) Going to Africa to preach.
(d) With the woman he marries.
14. Who has Augustine already studied much?
(a) The Platonists and their natural philosophy.
(b) The development of Chrisitanity in Britian.
(c) The Greek gods.
(d) The Gnostics.
15. What indicates that Augustine is not quite ready to fully embrace the way of being a priest of Christianity?
(a) He has not yet divorced his wife.
(b) He still has a mistress.
(c) He still goes to the houses of "ill repute."
(d) He still attends Manichean rites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustine publish his Confessions?
2. What does Simplicianus tell Augustine Victorinus does before his recent passing?
3. Who accompanies Augustine for the holiday?
4. What is the heaven of heavens?
5. What is one definition of evil?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)