|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can memory make you unhappy?
(a) By remembering something in the past which disgusts you now.
(b) Not letting go of the negative emotion with a memory.
(c) Thinking about what might have been.
(d) Remembering the slights of others and feeling resentful.
2. What books bring a change to Augustine's thinking?
(a) The Illiad and Odyssey.
(b) Grendal and the Four Horsemen.
(c) Books of the Platonists.
(d) Books of the disciples of Socrates.
3. Who is buried near the Tiber River?
4. How does Victorinus become a Christian?
(a) By asking for a revelation from Jesus.
(b) By studying the Christian Scriptures.
(c) By realizing the simple logic of the Christian doctrine.
(d) By seeing how joyful Christians are.
5. With what word in the scriptures is Augustine particularly fascinated?
6. As time goes on, what happens to the future?
(a) It was never real so nothing happens to it.
(b) The future passes the point of the present, and is consumed, becoming the past.
(c) It recedes into non-existence.
(d) It moves farther into the future.
7. What question does Augustine ask?
(a) How does Jesus, a dead person, know me.
(b) Why have I been placed on this earth.
(c) What does it mean to love God?
(d) How can I know I am going to heaven?
8. Where does Augustus go for the Vintage holiday?
(a) To Carthage.
(b) To Florence.
(c) To Britian.
(d) To a country retreat estate in Cassiciacum.
9. Besides concrete detail, what else does the mind remember?
10. What does Augustine see as his responsibility?
(a) Preaching to the heathen.
(b) Learning the commandments of God.
(c) Teaching Jesus's gospel.
(d) All his actions.
11. What does the story of Victorinus's conversion indicate to Augustine?
(a) That a man wiser than Augustine chose it, so it would be right for Augustine.
(b) The lengths Christians will go to to save a soul.
(c) That it is never to late to change.
(d) The deep compatibility between Platonic philosophy and Catholic Christianity.
12. To what does Augustine come to think the predictions of astrologists are due?
(a) Purely a matter of chance, plus taking into account a person's condition, wealth, and circumstances.
(b) A misunderstanding of astronomy.
(c) Making the predictions so general, they can apply to almost anyone.
(d) A weakness of the brain.
13. What makes it easy for Augustine to quit his job?
(a) He has been suffering from overwork.
(b) The dean is not happy with him.
(c) He feels God paving the way.
(d) He has not been very popular with the students.
14. What is non-existent except when it is the present?
(a) The past and future.
15. What is different between scripture and the books of the Platonists?
(a) Nothing except who authors them.
(b) They both challenge the idea of god, but the scritures first prove the existence of god.
(c) God does not exist in the Platonists' books.
(d) The scritures are older, but say the same things and have the same concept of god as the Platonists.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augustine define formlessness?
2. What tempts Augustine in this part of his life?
3. Why does Augustine believe it is not the motion of the heavenly bodies that determines the length of a day?
4. Who is Victorinus?
5. Though formlessness is close to nothing, it is not the same as what?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)