|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose idea was it to get the doctor when Zeno's father became ill?
(d) The neighbor's.
2. Why is Zeno keeping a journal?
(a) To confess about bad habits.
(b) To become a published writer.
(c) To analyze his love for wine.
(d) To analyze his weakness for smoking.
3. What did Zeno's father do right before he died?
(a) He struck Zeno.
(b) He asked to see Zeno's mother.
(c) He said he was frightened.
(d) He ate his favorite meal.
4. Once Zeno bought his first pack of cigarettes, how many did he say he smoked at one time?
5. How many times does Zeno say Giovanni cheated him?
(a) Ten times.
(b) Five times.
(c) Three times.
(d) Two times.
6. Why does Zeno say he visited a doctor who used electricity to cure diseases?
(a) He thought electricity could cure his insomnia.
(b) He wanted a cure for his troubles with women.
(c) He hoped the doctor would discover that the nicotine was poisoning his blood.
(d) He hoped the doctor would treat his lack of stomach acids.
7. Who is the main character of this book?
(b) Dr. Muli.
(d) Dr. Hahn.
8. Where was Zeno when his father died?
(a) At school.
(b) With his father.
(c) With a friend.
(d) With his mother.
9. How old does Zeno say Giovanni is?
10. How did Zeno act whenever he was with Ada?
11. How does Zeno describe his father's death?
(a) An abyss of regret.
(b) A robber of joy.
(c) An unimaginable catastrophe.
(d) Surprisingly peaceful.
12. Why did Zeno become agitated in the sanatorium?
(a) He was attracted to the person who was left to guard him.
(b) He suspected that he wife was having an affair with Dr. Muli.
(c) He didn't get his last cigarette.
(d) He had nicotine withdrawal.
13. What idea did Zeno's wife have for helping him to quit smoking?
(a) She suggested that he gradually cut back on his cigarette smoking.
(b) She offered to hide his cigarettes.
(c) She suggested a nicotine pill.
(d) She suggested that he go into a sanatorium.
14. What did Alberta say she wanted to do with her life?
(a) See the world.
(b) Become a mother.
(c) Become a writer.
(d) Become a college professor.
15. How did Zeno feel after his future wife accepted his proposal?
(b) Immensely satisfied.
(d) Afraid of what he'd done.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Giovanni react to Zeno's talk about getting rid of Olivi and managing his own affairs?
2. ______________was sent to get the doctor when Zeno's father became ill.
3. Which of the following was one of the physical features Zeno liked about his fiance?
4. What doubt does Zeno say may have bound him to his vice?
5. Whom does Zeno say was left to guard him in the sanatorium?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)