|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zeno describe his relationship with his father?
(a) They shared the same taste in cigars.
(b) They couldn't stand each other.
(c) They were very close.
(d) They had little in common.
2. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
(a) By talking about important people he knew.
(b) By bragging about money.
(c) With magic tricks.
(d) By making up stories.
3. How does Zeno describe his past troubles with women?
(a) He didn't like them.
(b) He desired all of them.
(c) He was shy around them.
(d) They didn't like him.
4. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
(a) When she was 73.
(b) Before he was 15.
(c) At the same time as his father.
(d) When he was 20.
5. Whom does Zeno say died soon after he was married?
(a) His Mother:
6. Why does Zeno say he visited a doctor who used electricity to cure diseases?
(a) He wanted a cure for his troubles with women.
(b) He thought electricity could cure his insomnia.
(c) He hoped the doctor would discover that the nicotine was poisoning his blood.
(d) He hoped the doctor would treat his lack of stomach acids.
7. What did Guido do better than Zeno?
(b) Played the violin.
(d) Played the cello.
8. According to Zeno, what was the most important event of his life?
(a) His wedding.
(b) His son's birth.
(c) His graduation from law school.
(d) His father's death.
9. How much time does Zeno say he spent with his father before his death?
(d) As much as possible.
10. Which sister loved Zeno?
11. What does Zeno say about the noble attitude one has when he makes a resolution to quit smoking?
(a) It helps a person to feel better about himself.
(b) It ensures that the resolution will work.
(c) A person can only keep the noble attitude by renewing his resolutions.
(d) It makes quitting easier.
12. How did Augusta react when Zeno accidentally told her he loved Ada?
(a) She cried uncontrollably.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She slapped him.
(d) She promised not to tell anyone.
13. How many commandments did Giovanni write in Zeno's notebook?
14. How does Zeno say he used to decide when to stop smoking?
(a) He picked significant dates and events.
(b) He decided to quit on the first day of each week.
(c) He stopped when he got sick.
(d) He began new resolutions when he had something to celebrate.
15. Where was Zeno when his father died?
(a) With his father.
(b) With a friend.
(c) With his mother.
(d) At school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women did Zeno ask to marry him after the table turning?
2. When Zeno became ill with a painful sore throat and a fever, what did he resolve to do?
3. What does Zeno say that he did after making a resolution to stop smoking?
4. How did Zeno and Giovanna pass their time together?
5. How old does Zeno say he was when he discovered that he hated the way cigarettes tasted and the way they made him feel?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)