|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zeno describe as his second trouble?
(a) An addiction to alcohol.
(b) The effort he put into quitting smoking.
(c) A chronic sore throat.
2. How did Zeno tell his father he viewed religion?
(a) As a fairy tale.
(b) As phenomenon.
(c) As a lie.
(d) As something that has great meaning.
3. How does Zeno think his father felt about Zeno's future?
4. What did Zeno's relatives reveal about his father?
(a) He may have been unfaithful.
(b) He drank too much.
(c) He knew Zeno's secret.
(d) He was a gambler.
5. How did Zeno get his first cigarette?
(a) His brother gave it to him.
(b) He stole it from his father.
(c) His friend Giuseppe gave it to him.
(d) He purchased a pack of cigarettes from a store.
6. What idea did Zeno's wife have for helping him to quit smoking?
(a) She offered to hide his cigarettes.
(b) She suggested a nicotine pill.
(c) She suggested that he go into a sanatorium.
(d) She suggested that he gradually cut back on his cigarette smoking.
7. What did Zeno tell his father he was doing with his coat?
(a) Admiring the color.
(b) Counting buttons.
(c) Brushing it off.
(d) Looking for loose change.
8. How does Zeno always try to quit smoking?
(a) He stops buying cigarettes.
(b) He throws all of his cigarettes into the trash.
(c) He hides his cigarettes.
(d) He makes resolutions.
9. How did Giovanni react to Zeno's talk about getting rid of Olivi and managing his own affairs?
(a) He encouraged Zeno.
(b) He suggested a different person to manage Zeno's affairs.
(c) He offered to manage Zeno's affairs.
(d) He seemed alarmed.
10. Who was Tullio?
(a) Zeno' s best friend.
(b) Ada's love interest.
(c) Ada's brother.
(d) A crippled man.
11. A doctor asked Zeno's father to return for a follow-up visit after a few weeks. Why didn't his father go back to the doctor?
(a) He felt better.
(b) He believed the doctor was incompetent.
(c) He said doctors and grave diggers were equally odious.
(d) He said the doctor's fees were astronomical.
12. ______________was sent to get the doctor when Zeno's father became ill.
(b) The gardener.
(c) A neighbor.
13. According to Zeno, when did his mother die?
(a) At the same time as his father.
(b) When she was 73.
(c) When he was 20.
(d) Before he was 15.
14. How did Zeno feel about his future wife during his engagement?
(a) He found her funny.
(b) He felt physical desire for her.
(c) He found her repulsive.
(d) He hated her.
15. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
(a) By bragging about money.
(b) By talking about important people he knew.
(c) With magic tricks.
(d) By making up stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Tergesteo?
2. What does Zeno say about the noble attitude one has when he makes a resolution to quit smoking?
3. Did Zeno cry immediately when he discovered that his father was ill?
4. How many women did Zeno ask to marry him after the table turning?
5. What does Zeno say one never talks about after getting married?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)