|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many reasons did Zeno initially give his fiance for being late for the wedding?
(a) At least three.
2. How did Augusta react when Zeno accidentally told her he loved Ada?
(a) She slapped him.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She promised not to tell anyone.
(d) She cried uncontrollably.
3. How does Zeno describe the importance of cigarettes that are not a person's last?
(a) An assertion of freedom.
4. How does Zeno think his father felt about Zeno's future?
5. How many hours a day did Zeno tell Tullio he worked in his office?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 18 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 8 hours.
6. Who was Dr. Muli?
(a) The doctor who treated Zeno's chronic sore throat.
(b) A doctor who treated people for love addiction.
(c) The doctor with the electrical shock device.
(d) A doctor who opened a sanatorium in Trieste.
7. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
(a) With magic tricks.
(b) By bragging about money.
(c) By making up stories.
(d) By talking about important people he knew.
8. How long did Zeno listen to his friend's lecture about the Greeks and the Hebrews?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Thirty minutes.
9. Which of the following was one of the physical features Zeno liked about his fiance?
(a) Her blushes.
(b) The shape of her lips.
(c) The slant of her eyes.
(d) The color of her hair.
10. Using which words does Zeno describe Giovanna?
(a) Mean and cold.
(b) Competent and no-nonsense.
(c) Large and overbearing.
(d) Shrill and little.
11. How does Zeno always try to quit smoking?
(a) He makes resolutions.
(b) He throws all of his cigarettes into the trash.
(c) He hides his cigarettes.
(d) He stops buying cigarettes.
12. Why did Zeno become agitated in the sanatorium?
(a) He didn't get his last cigarette.
(b) He suspected that he wife was having an affair with Dr. Muli.
(c) He was attracted to the person who was left to guard him.
(d) He had nicotine withdrawal.
13. Who was Tullio?
(a) Ada's love interest.
(b) Zeno' s best friend.
(c) Ada's brother.
(d) A crippled man.
14. How did Zeno get his first cigarette?
(a) His brother gave it to him.
(b) He purchased a pack of cigarettes from a store.
(c) He stole it from his father.
(d) His friend Giuseppe gave it to him.
15. How did Zeno tell his father he viewed religion?
(a) As a fairy tale.
(b) As something that has great meaning.
(c) As a lie.
(d) As phenomenon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeno say that he did after making a resolution to stop smoking?
2. Whom does Zeno say died soon after he was married?
3. Who accepted Zeno's proposal in the end?
4. Whom does Zeno say was left to guard him in the sanatorium?
5. ______________was sent to get the doctor when Zeno's father became ill.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)