|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using which words does Zeno describe Giovanna?
(a) Competent and no-nonsense.
(b) Shrill and little.
(c) Large and overbearing.
(d) Mean and cold.
2. What did Alberta say she wanted to do with her life?
(a) Become a college professor.
(b) See the world.
(c) Become a writer.
(d) Become a mother.
3. Where was Zeno when his father died?
(a) With his mother.
(b) At school.
(c) With his father.
(d) With a friend.
4. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
(a) To get a medicine that would dull his cigarette cravings.
(b) To get a certificate of sanity.
(c) For his shortness of breath.
(d) For electrical treatments.
5. Which of the following was one of the physical features Zeno liked about his fiance?
(a) The slant of her eyes.
(b) The color of her hair.
(c) Her blushes.
(d) The shape of her lips.
6. What was Guido teaching the family when Zeno professed his love for Ada?
(a) Card tricks.
(b) Table turning.
(c) Fortune telling.
7. What makes Zeno want to try Dr. Muli's cure?
(a) He wants to please his father and his wife.
(b) He wants to please his mother.
(c) He wants his son to find him balanced, and he's worried about Olivi leaving.
(d) He grows tired of the electrical treatments.
8. What did Zeno's relatives reveal about his father?
(a) He drank too much.
(b) He knew Zeno's secret.
(c) He may have been unfaithful.
(d) He was a gambler.
9. What doubt does Zeno say may have bound him to his vice?
(a) Doubt about pursuing science in school.
(b) Doubt about studying law.
(c) Doubt about working.
(d) Doubt about becoming a strong, perfect man.
10. What does Zeno describe as his second trouble?
(a) An addiction to alcohol.
(c) The effort he put into quitting smoking.
(d) A chronic sore throat.
11. What disease did Tullio have?
12. Once Zeno bought his first pack of cigarettes, how many did he say he smoked at one time?
13. How does Zeno describe his relationship with his father?
(a) They had little in common.
(b) They were very close.
(c) They shared the same taste in cigars.
(d) They couldn't stand each other.
14. How much time does Zeno say he spent with his father before his death?
(b) As much as possible.
15. What condition did Zeno think his father had?
(c) Cerebral hemorrhage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Zeno cry immediately when he discovered that his father was ill?
2. Who asked Zeno if he thought death was the end of everything?
3. A doctor asked Zeno's father to return for a follow-up visit after a few weeks. Why didn't his father go back to the doctor?
4. How does Zeno describe his past troubles with women?
5. How does Zeno describe his father's death?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)