|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zeno go to see Dr. Canestrini?
(a) To get a medicine that would dull his cigarette cravings.
(b) For electrical treatments.
(c) To get a certificate of sanity.
(d) For his shortness of breath.
2. How did Giovanni react to Zeno's talk about getting rid of Olivi and managing his own affairs?
(a) He suggested a different person to manage Zeno's affairs.
(b) He encouraged Zeno.
(c) He seemed alarmed.
(d) He offered to manage Zeno's affairs.
3. How does Zeno say he came to steal?
(a) He stole cigarettes from a store.
(b) He stole money for cigarettes.
(c) He stole cigarettes from his brother.
(d) He stole cigarettes from his mother.
4. What makes Zeno want to try Dr. Muli's cure?
(a) He grows tired of the electrical treatments.
(b) He wants his son to find him balanced, and he's worried about Olivi leaving.
(c) He wants to please his father and his wife.
(d) He wants to please his mother.
5. ______________was sent to get the doctor when Zeno's father became ill.
(b) The gardener.
(d) A neighbor.
6. What was Zeno's nickname for his father when he was in college?
(a) Old Goat.
(b) Old Silva Free Fist.
(c) Old Iron Fist.
(d) Tight Wad.
7. How did Augusta react when Zeno accidentally told her he loved Ada?
(a) She promised not to tell anyone.
(b) She cried uncontrollably.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She slapped him.
8. Who was Guido Speier?
(a) A butler.
(b) Zeno's best friend.
(c) A professor.
(d) Ada's love interest.
9. How old does Zeno say Giovanni is?
10. How does Zeno describe the flavor of a last cigarette?
(a) More poignant than others.
(b) Like freedom.
11. What does Zeno describe as his second trouble?
(a) An addiction to alcohol.
(b) A chronic sore throat.
(c) The effort he put into quitting smoking.
12. How does Zeno describe his past troubles with women?
(a) He desired all of them.
(b) He didn't like them.
(c) He was shy around them.
(d) They didn't like him.
13. Who managed Zeno's father's business affairs?
(d) His wife.
14. What did the doctor say when Zeno asked him whether there was any hope?
(a) "There is reason to hope."
(b) "There's a 50-percent chance of recovery."
(c) "None whatever!"
(d) "There is always hope!"
15. Who is the main character of this book?
(c) Dr. Hahn.
(d) Dr. Muli.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zeno keeping a journal?
2. How old does Zeno say he was when he discovered that he hated the way cigarettes tasted and the way they made him feel?
3. What did Alberta say she wanted to do with her life?
4. Who was Tullio?
5. What does Zeno say about the noble attitude one has when he makes a resolution to quit smoking?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)