Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of day does Zeno say his father died?
(a) 7:00 p.m.
(b) 6:43 a.m.
(c) 4:30 a.m.
(d) 9:30 p.m.
2. Why does Zeno say he visited a doctor who used electricity to cure diseases?
(a) He hoped the doctor would treat his lack of stomach acids.
(b) He thought electricity could cure his insomnia.
(c) He hoped the doctor would discover that the nicotine was poisoning his blood.
(d) He wanted a cure for his troubles with women.
3. How did Zeno try to impress Ada and her sisters?
(a) By making up stories.
(b) By bragging about money.
(c) With magic tricks.
(d) By talking about important people he knew.
4. How many hours a day did Zeno tell Tullio he worked in his office?
(a) 18 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 6 hours.
5. According to Zeno's estimation, how old was his father's doctor?
(a) Not more than forty.
(b) Not much older than twenty.
(c) In his seventies.
(d) In his thirties.
6. What makes Zeno want to try Dr. Muli's cure?
(a) He wants to please his mother.
(b) He grows tired of the electrical treatments.
(c) He wants his son to find him balanced, and he's worried about Olivi leaving.
(d) He wants to please his father and his wife.
7. What did the doctor say when Zeno asked him whether there was any hope?
(a) "There is reason to hope."
(b) "None whatever!"
(c) "There's a 50-percent chance of recovery."
(d) "There is always hope!"
8. Which of the following was one of the physical features Zeno liked about his fiance?
(a) The color of her hair.
(b) The shape of her lips.
(c) Her blushes.
(d) The slant of her eyes.
9. Who was Guido Speier?
(a) Ada's love interest.
(b) Zeno's best friend.
(c) A professor.
(d) A butler.
10. How did Zeno act whenever he was with Ada?
11. Using which words does Zeno describe Giovanna?
(a) Shrill and little.
(b) Competent and no-nonsense.
(c) Large and overbearing.
(d) Mean and cold.
12. What does Zeno say about the noble attitude one has when he makes a resolution to quit smoking?
(a) A person can only keep the noble attitude by renewing his resolutions.
(b) It helps a person to feel better about himself.
(c) It ensures that the resolution will work.
(d) It makes quitting easier.
13. A doctor asked Zeno's father to return for a follow-up visit after a few weeks. Why didn't his father go back to the doctor?
(a) He said the doctor's fees were astronomical.
(b) He felt better.
(c) He believed the doctor was incompetent.
(d) He said doctors and grave diggers were equally odious.
14. How does Zeno describe the flavor of a last cigarette?
(a) Like freedom.
(b) More poignant than others.
15. How does Zeno say he used to decide when to stop smoking?
(a) He began new resolutions when he had something to celebrate.
(b) He stopped when he got sick.
(c) He decided to quit on the first day of each week.
(d) He picked significant dates and events.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Zeno say died soon after he was married?
2. What does Zeno describe as his second trouble?
3. How does Zeno say Guido felt about women?
4. What did Guido do better than Zeno?
5. On the day of his wedding, who arrived and stimulated Zeno to leave and go to the ceremony?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)