|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotions did Zeno feel when he realized his father was close to death thanks to him?
(a) Relief and guilt.
(b) Confusuon and relief.
(c) Anger and frustration.
(d) Remorse and sorrow.
2. Who accepted Zeno's proposal in the end?
3. How does Zeno describe his relationship with his father?
(a) They shared the same taste in cigars.
(b) They couldn't stand each other.
(c) They were very close.
(d) They had little in common.
4. Whom does Zeno say died soon after he was married?
(c) His Mother:
5. Once Zeno bought his first pack of cigarettes, how many did he say he smoked at one time?
6. Where was Zeno when his father died?
(a) With his father.
(b) With his mother.
(c) At school.
(d) With a friend.
7. Which of the following was one of the physical features Zeno liked about his fiance?
(a) The color of her hair.
(b) The shape of her lips.
(c) Her blushes.
(d) The slant of her eyes.
8. What does Zeno say about the noble attitude one has when he makes a resolution to quit smoking?
(a) It ensures that the resolution will work.
(b) A person can only keep the noble attitude by renewing his resolutions.
(c) It makes quitting easier.
(d) It helps a person to feel better about himself.
9. Which sister thought Zeno was mad?
10. Why does Zeno say he visited a doctor who used electricity to cure diseases?
(a) He wanted a cure for his troubles with women.
(b) He hoped the doctor would discover that the nicotine was poisoning his blood.
(c) He thought electricity could cure his insomnia.
(d) He hoped the doctor would treat his lack of stomach acids.
11. According to Zeno's estimation, how old was his father's doctor?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) Not more than forty.
(c) Not much older than twenty.
(d) In his seventies.
12. How does Zeno describe his grief when his mother died?
(a) Emotionally crippling.
(b) Like being a frightened boy all over again.
(c) A token to a new and intense life.
(d) Overwhelmingly painful.
13. Who was Guido Speier?
(a) Ada's love interest.
(b) Zeno's best friend.
(c) A butler.
(d) A professor.
14. Who asked Zeno if he thought death was the end of everything?
(a) His mother.
(b) Zeno's father.
(c) Zeno's brother.
(d) A nurse.
15. What did Zeno tell his father he was doing with his coat?
(a) Admiring the color.
(b) Brushing it off.
(c) Counting buttons.
(d) Looking for loose change.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeno describe the flavor of a last cigarette?
2. Why is Zeno keeping a journal?
3. Whom does Zeno say was left to guard him in the sanatorium?
4. Did Zeno cry immediately when he discovered that his father was ill?
5. Whom did Zeno ask to marry him next when Ada refused?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)