|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Zeno act whenever he was with Ada?
2. What did the doctor decide was ailing Zeno?
(a) His stomach lacked acid.
(b) He had a chronic lung disorder.
(c) He was depressed.
(d) He was addicted to smoking.
3. How does Zeno say Guido felt about women?
(a) He admired their nurturing qualities.
(b) He thought they were smarter than men.
(c) He loved them.
(d) He disliked them.
4. Whom does Zeno say was left to guard him in the sanatorium?
5. How many women did Zeno ask to marry him after the table turning?
6. How does Zeno describe his relationship with his father?
(a) They shared the same taste in cigars.
(b) They were very close.
(c) They had little in common.
(d) They couldn't stand each other.
7. What does Zeno say he would do if he was born again?
(a) Avoid cigarettes.
(b) Marry his wife again.
(c) Stay away from Guido.
(d) Avoid Giovanni.
8. Whom did Zeno ask to marry him next when Ada refused?
9. What did the doctor say when Zeno asked him whether there was any hope?
(a) "None whatever!"
(b) "There is reason to hope."
(c) "There is always hope!"
(d) "There's a 50-percent chance of recovery."
10. Why did Zeno become agitated in the sanatorium?
(a) He was attracted to the person who was left to guard him.
(b) He suspected that he wife was having an affair with Dr. Muli.
(c) He had nicotine withdrawal.
(d) He didn't get his last cigarette.
11. How does Zeno describe the importance of cigarettes that are not a person's last?
(a) An assertion of freedom.
12. What was the Tergesteo?
(a) The university he attended.
(b) The tax authority.
(c) The Bourse of Trieste.
(d) The capital of Trieste.
13. What phrase does Zeno use to describe Dr. Muli?
(a) Aggressively cheerful.
(b) The picture of elegance.
(c) Lean but strong.
(d) Of uncertain age.
14. How does Zeno describe his father's death?
(a) Surprisingly peaceful.
(b) An unimaginable catastrophe.
(c) An abyss of regret.
(d) A robber of joy.
15. How does Zeno say he came to steal?
(a) He stole cigarettes from a store.
(b) He stole money for cigarettes.
(c) He stole cigarettes from his mother.
(d) He stole cigarettes from his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Guido Speier?
2. What did Zeno's father do right before he died?
3. How long did Zeno listen to his friend's lecture about the Greeks and the Hebrews?
4. What was the name of the doctor who cared for Zeno's father until his death?
5. Using which words does Zeno describe Giovanna?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)