|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does T. R. Gray mean by "this population"?
(a) Slave owners.
(d) White people.
2. Who is Gray?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) A friend of Nat's .
(c) A friend of Nat's late master.
(d) An attorney.
3. According to Nat's confession, how many people did he kill?
4. Who did Nat confide his plans for the insurrection to?
(a) Eighteen slaves.
(b) Five other slaves.
(c) A few other slaves.
(d) Twelve other slaves.
5. What does Nat have a dream about while In the courtroom?
(a) Winning his case in court and being freed.
(b) Boys trapped in quicksand.
(d) Being lost.
6. What warning, if any, was given for the insurrection?
(a) One of the participating slaves told his wife.
(b) Written plans were discovered, but too late.
(c) A villager overheard two slaves planning, but didn't take it seriously.
(d) There was no warning given.
7. How does Gray refer to himself in the introduction?
(a) Your respectful author.
(b) Your dutiful recorder.
(c) Your impartial ear.
(d) Your obedient servant.
8. According to Nat's confession, he had originally intended the rebellion to begin on what day?
(a) His master's birthday.
(b) His birthday.
(c) July 1st.
(d) July 4th.
9. What is an insurrection?
(a) A peace march.
(b) A fight.
(c) An uprising.
(d) An agreement.
10. How does Gray say the "band" resisted when the white people finally caught up to them?
(b) With great force.
11. In Part 1, how does Gray refer to Nat?
(a) As animate chattel.
(b) As a victim.
(c) As a man among men.
(d) As a thing.
12. Who finds Nat and captures him?
(a) Benjamin Phipps.
(b) Benjamin Pepper.
(c) Benjamin Phelps.
(d) Benjamin Armstrong.
13. Who is the last slave captured who participated in the rebellion?
14. What does Gray tell Nat about the Bible, when he cannot bring one to Nat?
(a) It is a waste of time.
(b) It is evil.
(c) It is not ment for Nat.
(d) It is better left alone.
15. Nat describes black slaves as being docile, yet filled with ______.
(b) Fear .
Short Answer Questions
1. What moniker did Gray assign to Nat Turner?
2. What word did Cobb ask Nat to spell?
3. What is Nat's execution date?
4. What does Gray attribute the failure of the rebellion to?
5. Southampton is located in what state?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)