|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cobb uses a word to describe the children of slaves. What is that word?
(d) Ankle biters.
2. What moniker did Gray assign to Nat Turner?
(a) The "great Bandit."
(b) The "unrepentant runaway."
(c) The "elusive Fox."
(d) The "ferocious captive."
3. In the Introduction, Gray hopes that the description of Nat's rebellion will demonstrate policy regarding what?
(a) The restraint of slaves.
(b) Educating slaves.
(c) Freeing slaves.
(d) The sale of slaves.
4. When Gray speaks of understanding Nat's mind, what does he say about it?
(a) Nat was trying to grapple with things beyond his mind's reach.
(b) Nat's mind snapped at the thought of being sold again.
(c) Nat had a mental condition and couldn't understand what he was doing.
(d) Nat had sociopathic tendencies and would have killed more people if he hadn't been caught.
5. When did Nat first begin to plan his rebellion?
(a) While trapping rabbits.
(b) While working with Hark.
(c) While being punished by Joseph Travis.
(d) After overhearing plans for his sale to Jeremiah Cobb.
6. What warning, if any, was given for the insurrection?
(a) Written plans were discovered, but too late.
(b) A villager overheard two slaves planning, but didn't take it seriously.
(c) One of the participating slaves told his wife.
(d) There was no warning given.
7. What happened to Hark's wife and son?
(a) They moved to another plantation.
(b) They died.
(c) They escaped.
(d) They were sold to Mississippi.
8. What does Gray tell Nat about the Bible, when he cannot bring one to Nat?
(a) It is not ment for Nat.
(b) It is better left alone.
(c) It is evil.
(d) It is a waste of time.
9. What reason does Gray give in his introduction for publishing Nat's confessions?
(a) For the gratification of public curiosity.
(b) To create a record for posterity.
(c) To pay off his debts.
(d) To write an abolitionist tract.
10. What Psalm does Nat tell Miss Margaret is his favorite?
(a) Psalm twenty-three.
(b) Psalm fifty-five.
(c) Psalm fifty-seven.
(d) Psalm twelve.
11. What do the Negroes in church use to fan themselves?
(a) Folded pieces of paper.
(b) Thin, pine-bark shingles.
(c) Starched, ironed pieces of cloth.
(d) Pine boughs.
12. What three adjectives does Gray use to describe Nat Turner's mind?
(a) Distraught, feverish, and plotting.
(b) Evil, thoughtless, and cruel.
(c) Excited, devious, and mischievous.
(d) Dark, bewildered, and overwrought.
13. How do Putnam and MIss Maria punish Hark?
(a) By locking him in the root cellar.
(b) By making him sleep outside.
(c) By making him climb a tree.
(d) By whipping him.
14. Turner says he submits Nat's "own account of the conspiracy" to the public ____________.
(a) "For you to judge."
(b) "For posterity."
(c) "Without comment."
(d) "As it was dictated to me."
15. Who gives T. R. Gray permission to talk to Nat in jail?
(a) Nat's master.
(b) Nat's jailer.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Jeremiah Cobb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Cobb ask Nat to spell?
2. What is Nat's execution date?
3. What is an insurrection?
4. While in jail, about how many blacks does Hark say were killed while Nat hid?
5. According to Gray's "Introduction" people in the Southampton area were __________.:
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)