|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gray, how many slave uprisings had there been in the area prior to Nat Turner's?
(a) Nat's rebellion was the first.
(b) There had been one prior rebellion, also put down.
(c) There had been three prior rebellions.
(d) There had been two prior rebellions.
2. How does Gray say Nat will be punished?
(a) A firing squad.
(b) The guillotine.
(c) Being tarred and feathered.
(d) The gallows.
3. Who is Jeremiah Cobb?
(a) The judge at Nat's trial.
(b) A white man who survived by hiding from the slaves.
(c) A saloon keeper.
(d) A neighbor of Joseph Travis, Nat's master.
4. According to Nat's confession, he had originally intended the rebellion to begin on what day?
(a) July 1st.
(b) His birthday.
(c) July 4th.
(d) His master's birthday.
5. Who finds Nat and captures him?
(a) Benjamin Phelps.
(b) Benjamin Armstrong.
(c) Benjamin Pepper.
(d) Benjamin Phipps.
6. Gray quotes a study by Professor Enoch Mebane that says:
(a) Negroes need to be handled like wild animals.
(b) The Negro is a biologically inferior species.
(c) Negroes are intellectually deficient.
(d) While slavery exists, rebellions are bound to happen.
7. Which Biblical prophet did Nat feel "spoke" to him most clearly about the rebellion?
8. How does Gray say the "band" resisted when the white people finally caught up to them?
(a) With great force.
9. According to Nat, Hark's name might be short for what?
10. What Psalm does Nat tell Miss Margaret is his favorite?
(a) Psalm fifty-seven.
(b) Psalm twelve.
(c) Psalm twenty-three.
(d) Psalm fifty-five.
11. What does Gray say was the "only principle of restraint" for the band of slaves?
(a) Fear of taking too much time, impeding their escape to the north.
(b) Fear of being caught.
(c) Apprehension for their personal safety.
(d) Worry that the alarm would be raised too soon.
12. What does T. R. Gray mean by "this population"?
(a) White people.
(b) Slave owners.
13. In the Introduction, what two methods did Gray say were used by the slaves to attempt to find safety?
(a) Poling down the river or hiding on a boat.
(b) Concealment or returning home.
(c) Begging for mercy or hiding on another plantation.
(d) Running away or swimming.
14. In the introduction, what does Gray state Nat's mind "first became"?
(a) Sad and depressed.
(b) Bewildered and confounded.
(c) Upset and confused.
(d) Angry and twisted.
15. Turner says he submits Nat's "own account of the conspiracy" to the public ____________.
(a) "Without comment."
(b) "As it was dictated to me."
(c) "For posterity."
(d) "For you to judge."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nat found to be hiding?
2. Who did Nat confide his plans for the insurrection to?
3. What does Nat have a dream about while In the courtroom?
4. What happened to Hark's wife and son?
5. What is an insurrection?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)