|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an insurrection?
(a) An agreement.
(b) A fight.
(c) A peace march.
(d) An uprising.
2. Who finds Nat and captures him?
(a) Benjamin Phipps.
(b) Benjamin Pepper.
(c) Benjamin Armstrong.
(d) Benjamin Phelps.
3. What does Gray feel that Nat's rebellion will further the cause of?
(c) Voting rights for blacks.
(d) Easing restrictions on blacks.
4. When Gray speaks of understanding Nat's mind, what does he say about it?
(a) Nat had a mental condition and couldn't understand what he was doing.
(b) Nat was trying to grapple with things beyond his mind's reach.
(c) Nat had sociopathic tendencies and would have killed more people if he hadn't been caught.
(d) Nat's mind snapped at the thought of being sold again.
5. How many of the slaves escaped the insurrection without punishment?
(d) Only one.
6. What does Nat wonder about after sentencing?
(c) Stealing a Bible.
(d) Saving Hark.
7. Gray quotes a study by Professor Enoch Mebane that says:
(a) Negroes are intellectually deficient.
(b) Negroes need to be handled like wild animals.
(c) The Negro is a biologically inferior species.
(d) While slavery exists, rebellions are bound to happen.
8. Where is Nat found to be hiding?
(a) Under a log.
(b) In a swamp.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In the woods.
9. Who gives T. R. Gray permission to talk to Nat in jail?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Jeremiah Cobb.
(c) Nat's jailer.
(d) Nat's master.
10. What warning, if any, was given for the insurrection?
(a) Written plans were discovered, but too late.
(b) A villager overheard two slaves planning, but didn't take it seriously.
(c) One of the participating slaves told his wife.
(d) There was no warning given.
11. On what date was Nat captured?
(a) October 30, 1831.
(b) October 29, 1831.
(c) November 1, 1831.
(d) October 31, 1831.
12. According to Nat, Hark's name might be short for what?
13. What three adjectives does Gray use to describe Nat Turner's mind?
(a) Distraught, feverish, and plotting.
(b) Excited, devious, and mischievous.
(c) Dark, bewildered, and overwrought.
(d) Evil, thoughtless, and cruel.
14. What does Gray think should have led the band of slaves to greater efforts?
15. Which part of his body causes Cobb pain?
(a) His leg.
(b) His foot.
(c) His arm.
(d) His heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gray say was the "only principle of restraint" for the band of slaves?
2. What Psalm does Nat tell Miss Margaret is his favorite?
3. Turner says he submits Nat's "own account of the conspiracy" to the public ____________.
4. While in jail, about how many blacks does Hark say were killed while Nat hid?
5. Cobb uses a word to describe the children of slaves. What is that word?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)