|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gray speaks of understanding Nat's mind, what does he say about it?
(a) Nat had a mental condition and couldn't understand what he was doing.
(b) Nat's mind snapped at the thought of being sold again.
(c) Nat had sociopathic tendencies and would have killed more people if he hadn't been caught.
(d) Nat was trying to grapple with things beyond his mind's reach.
2. What does T. R. Gray mean by "this population"?
(b) White people.
(d) Slave owners.
3. Which part of his body causes Cobb pain?
(a) His foot.
(b) His leg.
(c) His arm.
(d) His heart.
4. What is Nat's execution date?
(a) November 11th.
(b) November 12th.
(c) Thanksgiving Day.
(d) November 1st.
5. In the Introduction, Gray hopes that the description of Nat's rebellion will demonstrate policy regarding what?
(a) The restraint of slaves.
(b) Educating slaves.
(c) The sale of slaves.
(d) Freeing slaves.
6. What was Nat's rebellion not motivated by?
(a) Confusion or hopelessness.
(b) Frustration or desperation.
(c) Anger or hate.
(d) Revenge or sudden anger.
7. What weapon does Nat carry?
(a) A knife.
(b) A bow and arrow.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A sword.
8. How does Gray refer to himself in the introduction?
(a) Your dutiful recorder.
(b) Your impartial ear.
(c) Your obedient servant.
(d) Your respectful author.
9. Turner says he submits Nat's "own account of the conspiracy" to the public ____________.
(a) "Without comment."
(b) "For posterity."
(c) "For you to judge."
(d) "As it was dictated to me."
10. Who does Trezevant compare Nat to?
(a) Ivan the Terrible.
(b) Attila the Hun.
(c) President Andrew Jackson.
(d) The Pope.
11. Where is Nat found to be hiding?
(a) In the woods.
(b) Under a log.
(c) In a swamp.
(d) In a cave.
12. What does Gray say was the "only principle of restraint" for the band of slaves?
(a) Worry that the alarm would be raised too soon.
(b) Fear of being caught.
(c) Apprehension for their personal safety.
(d) Fear of taking too much time, impeding their escape to the north.
13. What does Gray state that Nat's confessions demonstrate about the laws?
(a) How they help locate runaway slaves.
(b) How they protect the white slaveholders.
(c) How they restrain the slaves.
(d) How they are unfair to the slaves.
14. In Part One, Nat tells Gray that the Lord told him to confess so that "all nations will know." What was the other reason the Lord gave Nat for confessing?
(a) That thy life shall be spared.
(b) That thy truth shall be known.
(c) That the pure shall know repentance.
(d) That thy acts will be known to all men.
15. On what date was Nat captured?
(a) October 30, 1831.
(b) October 31, 1831.
(c) November 1, 1831.
(d) October 29, 1831.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the introduction, what does Gray state Nat's mind "first became"?
2. According to Nat, Hark's name might be short for what?
3. Who was Nat's master at the time of the insurrection?
4. Nat tells Gray of an event that "laid the groundwork" for his later actions, including the insurrection. What was that event?
5. According to Gray, how many slave uprisings had there been in the area prior to Nat Turner's?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)