|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Nat's confession, he had originally intended the rebellion to begin on what day?
(a) His birthday.
(b) July 4th.
(c) July 1st.
(d) His master's birthday.
2. According to Nat's statements, the insurrection was ______.
(b) Spread across twelve miles.
(c) Confined to five farms.
(d) Confined to two counties.
3. What warning, if any, was given for the insurrection?
(a) A villager overheard two slaves planning, but didn't take it seriously.
(b) There was no warning given.
(c) Written plans were discovered, but too late.
(d) One of the participating slaves told his wife.
4. What is the name of the town Nat can see from his jail cell window?
5. According to Gray, how many slave uprisings had there been in the area prior to Nat Turner's?
(a) There had been one prior rebellion, also put down.
(b) Nat's rebellion was the first.
(c) There had been three prior rebellions.
(d) There had been two prior rebellions.
6. How does Gray say the "band" resisted when the white people finally caught up to them?
(b) With great force.
7. What Psalm does Nat tell Miss Margaret is his favorite?
(a) Psalm twelve.
(b) Psalm twenty-three.
(c) Psalm fifty-seven.
(d) Psalm fifty-five.
8. What is the nickname T. R. Gray gives to Nat in the "To the Public" section of the book?
(a) Great Bandit.
(b) Powerful Slave.
(c) Black Bandit.
(d) Insane Instigator.
9. Turner says he submits Nat's "own account of the conspiracy" to the public ____________.
(a) "Without comment."
(b) "For posterity."
(c) "As it was dictated to me."
(d) "For you to judge."
10. What reason does Gray give in his introduction for publishing Nat's confessions?
(a) To write an abolitionist tract.
(b) To create a record for posterity.
(c) For the gratification of public curiosity.
(d) To pay off his debts.
11. While in church with Hark, Nat makes plans to gather with other blacks where?
(a) At the graveyard.
(b) Near the creek behind the church.
(c) Behind the general store.
(d) In the alley next to the courthouse.
12. What do the Negroes in church use to fan themselves?
(a) Thin, pine-bark shingles.
(b) Folded pieces of paper.
(c) Starched, ironed pieces of cloth.
(d) Pine boughs.
13. What is Nat's execution date?
(a) November 11th.
(b) November 1st.
(c) Thanksgiving Day.
(d) November 12th.
14. How does Nat encounter Jeremiah Cobb the first time?
(a) Cobb requests water from the Travis well.
(b) Cobb needs repairs to his dogcart.
(c) Cobb stops by to visit Joseph Travis.
(d) Cobb is considering buying Nat.
15. What three adjectives does Gray use to describe Nat Turner's mind?
(a) Evil, thoughtless, and cruel.
(b) Dark, bewildered, and overwrought.
(c) Distraught, feverish, and plotting.
(d) Excited, devious, and mischievous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cobb uses a word to describe the children of slaves. What is that word?
2. What word did Cobb ask Nat to spell?
3. In the Introduction, what two methods did Gray say were used by the slaves to attempt to find safety?
4. According to Nat's confession, how many people did he kill?
5. Which Biblical prophet did Nat feel "spoke" to him most clearly about the rebellion?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)