|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nat wonder about after sentencing?
(b) Stealing a Bible.
(d) Saving Hark.
2. What do the Negroes in church use to fan themselves?
(a) Thin, pine-bark shingles.
(b) Folded pieces of paper.
(c) Pine boughs.
(d) Starched, ironed pieces of cloth.
3. Southampton is located in what state?
(a) West Virginia.
4. Turner says he submits Nat's "own account of the conspiracy" to the public ____________.
(a) "Without comment."
(b) "As it was dictated to me."
(c) "For you to judge."
(d) "For posterity."
5. Why does Gray say he published the Confessions?
(a) For the gratification of public curiosity.
(b) In order to set the record straight.
(c) To include them in his memoirs.
(d) For punishment of the guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Gray give in his introduction for publishing Nat's confessions?
2. What weapon does Nat carry?
3. What does T. R. Gray mean by "this population"?
4. In the Introduction, what two methods did Gray say were used by the slaves to attempt to find safety?
5. Nat describes black slaves as being docile, yet filled with ______.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)