|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gray say was the "only principle of restraint" for the band of slaves?
(a) Worry that the alarm would be raised too soon.
(b) Fear of being caught.
(c) Fear of taking too much time, impeding their escape to the north.
(d) Apprehension for their personal safety.
2. Nat tells Gray of an event that "laid the groundwork" for his later actions, including the insurrection. What was that event?
(a) As a child, relating events that had happened before his birth.
(b) Stealing small items with a group of childhood friends.
(c) Wanting to train for the priesthood.
(d) Being sold to a new master.
3. Who gives T. R. Gray permission to talk to Nat in jail?
(a) Nat's master.
(b) Nat's jailer.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Jeremiah Cobb.
4. According to Gray, how many slave uprisings had there been in the area prior to Nat Turner's?
(a) There had been one prior rebellion, also put down.
(b) There had been two prior rebellions.
(c) Nat's rebellion was the first.
(d) There had been three prior rebellions.
5. What does Gray attribute the failure of the rebellion to?
(a) Close monitoring of all slave activities.
(b) The moral deficiency of the Negro character.
(c) The lack of intelligence of the slaves.
(d) Astute observations on the part of the white slaveholders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Maria Pope?
2. Cobb uses a word to describe the children of slaves. What is that word?
3. What Psalm does Nat tell Miss Margaret is his favorite?
4. Who is Jeremiah Cobb?
5. In Part One, Nat tells Gray that the Lord told him to confess so that "all nations will know." What was the other reason the Lord gave Nat for confessing?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)