|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Introduction, Gray hopes that the description of Nat's rebellion will demonstrate policy regarding what?
(a) Educating slaves.
(b) The restraint of slaves.
(c) The sale of slaves.
(d) Freeing slaves.
2. Who finds Nat and captures him?
(a) Benjamin Armstrong.
(b) Benjamin Pepper.
(c) Benjamin Phelps.
(d) Benjamin Phipps.
3. What is an insurrection?
(a) An uprising.
(b) An agreement.
(c) A peace march.
(d) A fight.
4. What moniker did Gray assign to Nat Turner?
(a) The "great Bandit."
(b) The "ferocious captive."
(c) The "elusive Fox."
(d) The "unrepentant runaway."
5. When Gray speaks of understanding Nat's mind, what does he say about it?
(a) Nat had a mental condition and couldn't understand what he was doing.
(b) Nat's mind snapped at the thought of being sold again.
(c) Nat was trying to grapple with things beyond his mind's reach.
(d) Nat had sociopathic tendencies and would have killed more people if he hadn't been caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname T. R. Gray gives to Nat in the "To the Public" section of the book?
2. What warning, if any, was given for the insurrection?
3. Nat's mind "finally" became what, according to Gray?
4. Who gives T. R. Gray permission to talk to Nat in jail?
5. What reason does Gray give in his introduction for publishing Nat's confessions?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)