|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Southampton is located in what state?
(d) West Virginia.
2. What does Gray attribute the failure of the rebellion to?
(a) Close monitoring of all slave activities.
(b) Astute observations on the part of the white slaveholders.
(c) The lack of intelligence of the slaves.
(d) The moral deficiency of the Negro character.
3. In the introduction, what does Gray state Nat's mind "first became"?
(a) Angry and twisted.
(b) Upset and confused.
(c) Bewildered and confounded.
(d) Sad and depressed.
4. What does Gray refer to the insurgent slaves as?
(a) "Heartless heathens set upon vengeance."
(b) A "ravaging band of murderers."
(c) The "ebony slaughterers."
(d) A "band of ferocious miscreants."
5. What moniker did Gray assign to Nat Turner?
(a) The "unrepentant runaway."
(b) The "great Bandit."
(c) The "ferocious captive."
(d) The "elusive Fox."
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, Gray hopes that the description of Nat's rebellion will demonstrate policy regarding what?
2. What is a smudge pot used for?
3. What is the name of the town Nat can see from his jail cell window?
4. What was Nat's mother's name?
5. What warning, if any, was given for the insurrection?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)