|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Fidel to calm down while he and Perkins were at the bar?
2. What did Rasy's friends say would cause Americans to want to go to war?
3. In Chapter 6, where did Perkins discover he could not work?
4. What did the countries that Perkins' company helped eventually do?
5. What did Perkins have to convince himself of at the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MAIN fire Howard Parker?
2. What did Saudi Arabia's oil embargo cause the United States to realize?
3. What did the people who lived in the slums of Panama think of America?
4. What is corporatocracy?
5. What were Panamanian women not allowed to do?
6. Why did Perkins travel to Panama?
7. How did MAIN try to bring Indonesia away from communism?
8. What led the Saudis to implement an embargo on oil in 1974?
9. How did Indonesia become a communist country?
10. What did Howard Parker believe was wrong with MAIN'S predictions about Jakarta? Why did he leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Perkins' personality as it evolves throughout the book. How is his behavior at the start of his career? How does it evolve? Do you think Perkins' change is superficial or authentic? What do you believe was the key moment that caused Perkins to change?
Essay Topic 2
What is an economic hit man? Is it an effective means of destroying a country? Why or why not? Describe the process Perkins followed when he destroyed a lesser developed country. Why does Perkins believe he was a good economic hit man? Cite examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of The United Fruit Company in Central America? Discuss how The United Fruit Company influenced Central American politics as well as politics in the United States. What strategies did The United Fruit Company use to manipulate politics?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)