|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Perkins' impression of Jakarta?
2. What is Bechtel?
3. Who told Fidel to calm down while he and Perkins were at the bar?
4. Who was killed at the end of Chapter 7?
5. What did Perkins see when he drove through the slums of Panama?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Perkins' interaction with Rasy's friends at the coffeehouse.
2. What were the two objectives of economic hit men?
3. Describe Howard Parker.
4. Why did it make sense to Perkins that businesses funded colleges?
5. How did the United States appear innocent in the ruin of less developed countries?
6. What were Panamanian women not allowed to do?
7. What was the purpose of the New Deal's policies? What was the significance?
8. What is the significance of The United Fruit Company?
9. Why did Perkins travel to Panama?
10. What did President Torrijos want to build, and who did he want to finance the project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perkins worked with several countries in the Middle East. Choose two countries and compare and contrast the ways the countries influenced the way the world uses oil. What was the each country's relationship with the United States? Cite examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the puppet show that Perkins viewed while in Indonesia. How is a puppet show a form of protest? What message did the puppet show send to its audience? What message did it send to Perkins? Be sure to cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is an economic hit man? Is it an effective means of destroying a country? Why or why not? Describe the process Perkins followed when he destroyed a lesser developed country. Why does Perkins believe he was a good economic hit man? Cite examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)