|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Perkins meet with in Chapter 9?
2. How did the United States fight the Soviet Union?
3. In Chapter 6, where did Perkins discover he could not work?
4. Where would Perkins' plan lead Panama?
5. What did Robert McNamara create which set a precedent for the corporatocracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like in the Canal Zone?
2. Describe Perkins' childhood.
3. What led the Saudis to implement an embargo on oil in 1974?
4. Describe Perkins thoughts about Jakarta.
5. Why did MAIN fire Howard Parker?
6. What reaction did Perkins receive from business and political leaders in Jakarta in Chapter 6?
7. What did Howard Parker believe was wrong with MAIN'S predictions about Jakarta? Why did he leave?
8. Describe Howard Parker.
9. Describe Perkin's experience with the puppet master.
10. Describe Perkins' interaction with Rasy's friends at the coffeehouse.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the puppet show that Perkins viewed while in Indonesia. How is a puppet show a form of protest? What message did the puppet show send to its audience? What message did it send to Perkins? Be sure to cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Perkins' personality as it evolves throughout the book. How is his behavior at the start of his career? How does it evolve? Do you think Perkins' change is superficial or authentic? What do you believe was the key moment that caused Perkins to change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of OPEC. Why did OPEC form and who made up the organization? Discuss the influence OPEC had over the United States including any restrictions it placed on the country.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)