|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened as a result of OPEC's oil embargo?
2. What did the countries that Perkins' company helped eventually do?
3. What position did Perkins accept at MAIN?
4. Whom did Torrijos want to finance his project?
5. What was written in graffiti on the walls in Panama?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led the Saudis to implement an embargo on oil in 1974?
2. Describe Perkins' childhood.
3. Describe Perkins thoughts about Jakarta.
4. What did President Torrijos want to build, and who did he want to finance the project?
5. Describe Perkins' interaction with Rasy's friends at the coffeehouse.
6. Describe Omar Torrijos.
7. Describe the role of OPEC.
8. What did Howard Parker believe was wrong with MAIN'S predictions about Jakarta? Why did he leave?
9. Why did Perkins travel to Panama?
10. Why did it make sense to Perkins that businesses funded colleges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of OPEC. Why did OPEC form and who made up the organization? Discuss the influence OPEC had over the United States including any restrictions it placed on the country.
Essay Topic 2
Who were Doc and Yamin? What role did Doc and Yamin play in Perkins' life? Describe Perkins' interaction with Doc in the desert. What important information did he learn? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the puppet show that Perkins viewed while in Indonesia. How is a puppet show a form of protest? What message did the puppet show send to its audience? What message did it send to Perkins? Be sure to cite examples from the book.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)