|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Rebecca call first about her suspicions with Flagstaff Life?
2. Where do Rebecca and Luke go out to lunch in Chapter 11?
3. How does Alicia treat Rebecca when she sees her in the green room of Morning Coffee?
4. Who sent Rebecca the package that she opens in the green room right before going on Morning Coffee?
5. Whom does Rebecca blame for her ruined date with Tarquin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rebecca become very determined right before she goes on Morning Coffee?
2. Why do Janice and Martin not blame Rebecca for her poor financial advice?
3. Why does Rebecca dislike Sacha?
4. What is Luke's reaction to seeing Rebecca's article in The Daily World?
5. Why does Rebecca go to her parents in Chapter 16?
6. Why does Rebecca feel responsible for Janice and Martin's loss of their windfall money?
7. Why does Rebecca's mum suspect her of being pregnant?
8. Why does Suze finish putting together Rebecca's frames for her side job?
9. Describe Tarquin's personality.
10. How does Rebecca react to seeing herself in the mirror at Morning Coffee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rebecca never shies away from a good glass of champagne. Yet, she is not an alcoholic. None of the characters in Confessions of a Shopaholic are alcoholics. Write an essay that deals with the subject of alcohol consumption. Why does Rebecca drink so much? Why does she expect champagne from every press conference she attends? In what way is alcohol an escape for her? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Flagstaff Life plays an important role in Confessions of a Shopaholic. The company is the main source of conflict within the story. Explain why Flagstaff Life is important to Rebecca's character development. What problem does the company present the protagonist of the story? How does she overcome the issue? Who helps her? Would the plot of Confessions of a Shopaholic be the same without Flagstaff Life? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Derek Smeath appears at different points throughout the story. In many cases he is seen as an antagonist to Rebecca. Explore the complexities of Eric Smeath. At which parts in the story is he seen as an antagonist? What does he do to cause conflict with Rebecca? At what points in the story does his disposition seem to change? When is he angry? When is he reasonable? What triggers these changes in emotion? Be sure to provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)