|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philip describe Fulham?
2. How does the sales girl at Octagon treat Rebecca?
3. What is the name of the author Rebecca meets while at the Morning Coffee studio?
4. What is Janice and Martin's last name?
5. Who is Zelda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Luke's reaction to seeing Rebecca's article in The Daily World?
2. Why does Tarquin choose to take Rebecca out for pizza?
3. Why does Rebecca's mum suspect her of being pregnant?
4. What do Rebecca's parents think about her going on Morning Coffee?
5. Why does Rebecca change her mind about dating Tarquin?
6. Describe Zelda's personality.
7. Why does Tarquin attempt to write a check for Rebecca?
8. Why does Suze finish putting together Rebecca's frames for her side job?
9. What is Rebecca's response to learning that Suze's frames will be in Vogue?
10. Why does Rebecca dislike Sacha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Rebecca is kind, she is often not honest. In many cases she lies in order to get out of a bad situation. Address the subject of honesty in the book. Why does Rebecca repeatedly lie to Derek Smeath and other characters? What fears keep her from telling the truth? In which parts of the story do her fallacies come back on her? Would her life be easier if she just told the truth? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Janice and Martin are two of the most loyal characters in Confessions of a Shopaholic. They represent a special way of thinking about the world. It is because of them that Rebecca is able to become a success outside of her current profession. Explore the depths of loyalty within the context of these two characters. How do Janice and Martin help Rebecca throughout the course of the plot? Do they ever expect something in return for their loyalty? Would the plot of the story be the same without them? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Class, status, and wealth affect many of the characters in Confessions of a Shopaholic. Suze never has to work due to her family inheritance. Meanwhile, Rebecca works everyday so that she can support herself and her shopping habits. Write an essay that explores the themes of class, status, and wealth within the context of the story. What makes the wealthier characters different from the average middle class characters? Which characters are the most aware of their wealth and status? Which are the least aware? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)