|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks Rebecca is a financial genius?
2. What name does Rebecca make up for her fictitious aunt?
3. Why does Rebecca cry after her curry dinner goes disastrously wrong?
4. Which brand of cigarettes does Suze smoke?
5. How much does Elly's new job pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rebecca attempt to follow the teachings of David E. Barton?
2. Why does Rebecca become jealous of Elly?
3. Describe Rebecca Bloomwood's personality.
4. Describe Rebecca's parents.
5. Why does Rebecca choose to make a curry dish?
6. Describe Eric Foreman's personality.
7. Why do Rebecca and Suze get along so well?
8. What is Rebecca's opinion on the topic of sex before marriage?
9. Why does Rebecca want to win the lottery?
10. Why are Rebecca's credit card bills so high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Class, status, and wealth affect many of the characters in Confessions of a Shopaholic. Suze never has to work due to her family inheritance. Meanwhile, Rebecca works everyday so that she can support herself and her shopping habits. Write an essay that explores the themes of class, status, and wealth within the context of the story. What makes the wealthier characters different from the average middle class characters? Which characters are the most aware of their wealth and status? Which are the least aware? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The power of money is one of the central themes of Confessions of a Shopaholic. Without money, Rebecca would have no job- Successful Saving would not exist. Explain why money is so important to the protagonist. Why does Rebecca love money? What does she use it for? Without the availability of cash or credit, what would become of her? Would she be be the same materialistic person? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Rebecca by nature is very materialistic. However, she is not the only one. Various other characters in the story value their material possessions as well. Write an essay that explores the topic of materialism within the context of the story. Which characters are the most materialistic? Which are the least? Does Rebecca ever think of herself as being materialistic? How do her shopping habits impact those around her? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)