|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator bring to Sonoko when he first seeks her out?
2. After avoiding the draft, how does the narrator decide he wants to die?
3. Why does the narrator think it unusual that Chieko is cheerful?
4. When the narrator finally kisses Sonoko, what does he feel?
5. How long does the university postpone classes during the Allied-raids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator take extra time to point out, regarding his feelings for Sonoko?
2. Why does the narrator want to stay in a hotel with Sonoko?
3. What does the narrator believe is possible, in terms of partnering with a woman?
4. Why does the narrator offer to carry Sonoko's bag?
5. When the narrator sets out on a bicycle ride with Sonoko, what does he want to happen?
6. To get out of staying an extra day with Sonoko, what lie does the narrator tell her about his job?
7. What does the narrator ask Kusano regarding the relationship he ended with Sonoko?
8. In addition to being the first female the narrator feels capable of loving, what additional benefit does Sonoko offer the narrator?
9. On the train, what does the narrator do that makes Sonoko blush?
10. What is the narrator's opinion of the factory that produces war planes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The picture of Joan of Arc fascinates the narrator in one of his earlier memories. Upon learning the knight in the photograph is a woman, the narrator loses interest in it. Why?
Essay Topic 2
Upon reaching puberty, the narrator discovers a connection between sex and violence.
1) What was the narrator's relationship with violence prior to puberty?
2) Why does this obsession act itself out in a sexual fashion?
3) How do these desires affect the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Upon meeting Omi, the narrator is confronted with sexual feelings for the boy.
1) What intimate moment do Omi and the narrator share that begins their friendship?
2) What attracts the narrator to Omi?
3) How does this attraction affect the narrator?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)