|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sonoko do soon after her relationship with the narrator ends?
2. How does the narrator end his relationship with Sonoko?
3. On the train, what does Mr. Ohba do in excess?
4. What does Sonoko inspire the narrator to do?
5. How long does the university postpone classes during the Allied-raids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's opinion of the factory that produces war planes?
2. As the relationship between the narrator and Sonoko grows, why does the narrator struggle with "pangs of consciousness"?
3. What impresses the narrator about the refugees that he sees?
4. What does the narrator believe is possible, in terms of partnering with a woman?
5. When the narrator learns Sonoko plans to leave town to avoid the air raids, how does he feel and why?
6. What does the narrator ask Kusano regarding the relationship he ended with Sonoko?
7. To get out of staying an extra day with Sonoko, what lie does the narrator tell her about his job?
8. After the narrator kisses Sonoko, what does she expect from him?
9. When does the narrator get his first opportunity to spend time with Sonoko?
10. After the visitation with Kusano, why does the narrator become determined to love Sonoko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the narrator ends his relationship with Sonoko, he continues to be haunted by her. Write a brief essay examining how the physical aspect of love interferes with the emotional love he feels for her.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator has an obsession with death.
1) Why is the narrator interested in death?
2) As a child, what does he do to learn more about death?
3) How does the narrator feel about death?
Essay Topic 3
The picture of Joan of Arc fascinates the narrator in one of his earlier memories. Upon learning the knight in the photograph is a woman, the narrator loses interest in it. Why?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)