|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, in what city does the narrator encounter air raid refugees?
2. When the narrator finally kisses Sonoko, what does he feel?
3. How long does the university postpone classes during the Allied-raids?
4. Following his break-up with Sonoko, what is the narrator invited to do by a male student?
5. After spending time with the narrator, Sonoko feels so guilty she plans to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the narrator get his first opportunity to spend time with Sonoko?
2. Why does the quote "The measure of a woman's power is the degree of suffering with which she can punish her lover" bother the narrator?
3. What does the narrator ask Kusano regarding the relationship he ended with Sonoko?
4. When the narrator learns Sonoko plans to leave town to avoid the air raids, how does he feel and why?
5. To get out of staying an extra day with Sonoko, what lie does the narrator tell her about his job?
6. Why does the narrator allow Chieko to kiss him?
7. How does the narrator feel after going to the brothel?
8. What does the narrator believe is possible, in terms of partnering with a woman?
9. As the relationship between the narrator and Sonoko grows, why does the narrator struggle with "pangs of consciousness"?
10. After the narrator kisses Sonoko, what does she expect from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator is surrounded by feminine influence, yet certain social cues teach him how a boy "should" act.
1) Who provides the narrator with these social cues?
2) What does the narrator do to act out his gender expectations?
3) In what ways does the narrator struggle against his gender identity?
Essay Topic 2
The motto of the narrator's boarding school is "Be Simple and Manly." Examine how this motto influences the boy and his life at the school.
Essay Topic 3
In spite of his attraction to men, the narrator finds true affection for Sonoko.
1) Why is the narrator attracted to Sonoko?
2) Why is she attracted to him?
3) What factors work against the success of the relationship?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)