|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator spend his summer, prior to Omi's expulsion?
2. What does the narrator try to learn from others?
3. In the essay his later self deems as false, what does the narrator trick himself into believing?
4. What does the narrator do to please his inner demons?
5. How does the school announce Omi's expulsion?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator writes an essay to analyze his feelings about Reni's "Saint Sebastian," what physical object does the narrator discuss and why?
2. What physical actions does the narrator take in order to appear to be tough?
3. Why is the narrator unable to participate in gym class the day that Omi demonstrates how to use the bars?
4. Why does the narrator feel he has gone through life fooling not just others, but himself?
5. Over the summer, the narrator realizes his love for Omi may actually be what?
6. Regarding his obsession with death, what does the narrator discover when he reaches puberty?
7. Who was Sebastian of Reni's "Saint Sebastian"?
8. Why does the narrator choose not to volunteer as a special cadet?
9. What type of gender influence does the narrator have as a child?
10. How does the narrator feel about the prospect of grabbing Omi during a game of Dirty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The imagery and metaphor of masks appear throughout the novel. Choose three examples of this type of imagery from the text and analyze its purpose in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Upon reaching puberty, the narrator discovers a connection between sex and violence.
1) What was the narrator's relationship with violence prior to puberty?
2) Why does this obsession act itself out in a sexual fashion?
3) How do these desires affect the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
In Confessions of a Mask, the narrator's body betrays him repeatedly. Write an essay discussing the various ways the narrator's body betrays him and how this drives him to hide his true self behind a mask.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)