|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the schoolboys call the graphic game they play with each other?
2. In what city was the narrator born?
3. The narrator chooses not to speak to Yakumo because he is ashamed of what?
4. What does the narrator swear off, after witnessing Omi on the gym bars?
5. From what does Katakura die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attracts the narrator to soldiers as a youth?
2. How does the narrator feel about the prospect of grabbing Omi during a game of Dirty?
3. Why is Omi expelled from school?
4. Why does the prince in the Hungarian fairy tale upset the narrator?
5. What is the reaction of his family when the narrator dresses up as the magician, Tenkatsu?
6. Regarding his obsession with death, what does the narrator discover when he reaches puberty?
7. Why does the narrator believe that his lack of interest in women may have to do with laziness?
8. Why does the narrator choose not to volunteer as a special cadet?
9. Why is the narrator unable to participate in gym class the day that Omi demonstrates how to use the bars?
10. Why is the narrator's opportunity to live with his father cut short?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator has an obsession with death.
1) Why is the narrator interested in death?
2) As a child, what does he do to learn more about death?
3) How does the narrator feel about death?
Essay Topic 2
Write a creative essay, analyzing what aspects of the narrator's life at school might have been different if he had chosen to reveal his true sexual identity.
Essay Topic 3
Upon meeting Omi, the narrator is confronted with sexual feelings for the boy.
1) What intimate moment do Omi and the narrator share that begins their friendship?
2) What attracts the narrator to Omi?
3) How does this attraction affect the narrator?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)