|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memento of the narrator's is stolen on the train?
(a) His necklace.
(b) Sonoko's picture.
(c) His father's pocketwatch.
(d) His mother's diary.
2. Who writes a letter to the narrator, requesting information on his intent with Sonoko?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her other suitor.
(d) Her father.
3. What first attracts the narrator to Kusano's sister?
(a) The color of her skin.
(b) Her teeth.
(c) Her poetry recitation.
(d) Her piano playing.
4. Where does the narrator seek out Sonoko, following the visit to her brother?
(a) Her house.
(b) The library.
(c) Her school.
5. What bothers the narrator about his first encounter with Sonoko following their break-up?
(a) What she's wearing.
(b) Her anger towards him.
(c) Her kindness.
(d) The man she is with.
6. Where does the narrator see Sonoko for the second time following their break-up?
(a) Her family's house.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) The library.
(d) The grocery store.
7. In what year does the narrator graduate from high school?
8. After the narrator kisses Sonoko, he admits he is afraid he will soon do what?
(a) Leave the country.
(d) Drop out of school.
9. How does Mr. Ohba feel about the war?
10. What does the narrator's family eat in celebration of surviving an air raid?
(a) Bean jelly.
(d) Lamb intestines.
11. In Chapter 3, in what city does the narrator encounter air raid refugees?
12. How does Sonoko make the narrator feel?
(a) All of these.
13. When the narrator bumps into Sonoko for the first time after the break-up, what do they discuss?
(a) The break-up.
14. What does the narrator admire about the wounded civilians?
(a) Their primal nature.
(b) Their bravery in the face of death.
(c) How much they can bleed.
(d) Their fine clothing.
15. Where are the university students required to work?
(a) In their hometown.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The military base.
(d) A war factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator kisses Sonoko, he describes her beauty as what?
2. After spending time with the narrator, Sonoko feels so guilty she plans to do what?
3. What does Sonoko do soon after her relationship with the narrator ends?
4. When the narrator is around Sonoko, how does he feel?
5. While kissing Chieko, who does the narrator fantasize about?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)