|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sonoko do soon after her relationship with the narrator ends?
(a) Attempts suicide.
(b) Enlists in the army.
(c) Moves in next door to him.
(d) Gets married.
2. After kissing Sonoko, the narrator claims he cannot extend his visit with her because of what?
(a) His ailing health.
(b) His work at the factory.
(c) The request of his mother.
(d) His lack of money.
3. In what month is the narrator invited to visit with Kusano's regiment?
4. What is the first physical act of intimacy the narrator offers to Sonoko?
(a) Kissing her on the lips.
(b) His arm around her waist.
(c) Holding her tight.
(d) Holding hands.
5. What first attracts the narrator to Kusano's sister?
(a) Her teeth.
(b) Her piano playing.
(c) The color of her skin.
(d) Her poetry recitation.
6. When debating marriage to Sonoko, who does the narrator turn to for advice?
(d) His mother.
7. What does the narrator's family eat in celebration of surviving an air raid?
(c) Lamb intestines.
(d) Bean jelly.
8. To whom is the narrator attracted when he takes Sonoko to a dance hall?
(b) A male dancer.
(d) Young, tough men.
9. What is the narrator afraid he is incapable of doing, in spite of Sonoko's feelings for him?
(a) Opposing the war.
(b) Standing up to her brother.
(c) Loving a woman.
(d) Getting a good job.
10. How does Sonoko make the narrator feel?
(c) All of these.
11. When the war ends, what does the narrator study at school?
12. What does the narrator fear about his behavior towards Sonoko?
(a) It is cocky.
(b) It is false.
(c) It is too forward.
(d) It is too effeminate.
13. What color does the sky turn following an air raid?
14. Who writes a letter to the narrator, requesting information on his intent with Sonoko?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her other suitor.
15. After the narrator kisses Sonoko, he describes her beauty as what?
(c) A disguise.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second time school is suspended, where is the narrator sent to work?
2. What does the narrator feel like when the narrator imagines kissing Sonoko?
3. Sonoko's family believes she doesn't hear the air raid alarm for what reason?
4. What does Sonoko feel for Mr. Ohba?
5. In Chapter 3, what does the narrator offer to carry for Sonoko?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)