|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what department was Bres a graduate assistant?
2. In medieval folklore, Griselda's husband demanded what of their first two children?
3. What happened to all of Bres' belongings after her death?
4. Who was the campus heartthrob who taught Florence's favorite course in Chapter 11?
5. What did Bres suggest Florence apply for in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
2. What were the first stories Florence wrote in Chapter 16? What success did she meet?
3. What were Florence's views on dating in high school in Chapter 8? How did the other girls view her for this?
4. What did Herb tell Florence when she called home in Chapter 14?
5. What did Florence do in preparation for sexual exploration in Chapter 12?
6. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
7. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
8. What was Florence's first impression of her advisor in college?
9. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
10. How did Florence feel about marriage in Chapter 11? What class was her favorite in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Granny (Lura Ruding nee Upton) and Jensy Custis in the narrative. What role did Granny play in Mama and Herb's life before Florence was born?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the civil rights movement in the narrative. How did Florence feel about segregation and black suppression? Did she have an opinion?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)