|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to all of Bres' belongings after her death?
2. To what department did Florence rush to register for classes, after checking the girls into the dorm in Chapter 13?
3. What was Florence's favorite college course in Chapter 11?
4. What term refers to the automatic repetition of vocalizations made by another person?
5. To what college did most people seeking a French major go to in Chapter 9, according to Florence's French teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
2. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
3. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
4. What were Florence's views on dating in high school in Chapter 8? How did the other girls view her for this?
5. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
6. What did the college president state in his speech in Chapter 9?
7. What led to Florence's being asked to leave her sorority in Chapter 12?
8. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
9. How did Florence feel about the end of her undergraduate career?
10. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the role of religion in the King household in Chapter 3. How did Florence's beliefs form from these disparate beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and its impact on Florence King. How were Florence's later political views associated with this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of education in the South, particularly in Virginia during the 1930s. When and how were girls educated differently than boys at this time?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)