|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what department did Florence rush to register for classes, after checking the girls into the dorm in Chapter 13?
2. What stuttering man did Florence date whose proposal Granny was eager for her to accept in Chapter 11?
3. How old was Bres when Florence met her?
4. Where was Bres when she died?
5. What classic Southern belle did Florence study who was a rich heiress, and made her callers wait for a long time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
2. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
3. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
4. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
5. How did Florence feel about Bres upon returning from the Christmas holidays in Chapter 16?
6. Where did the Grope go to drink in the end of Chapter 13?
7. What were the first stories Florence wrote in Chapter 16? What success did she meet?
8. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
9. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
10. What was Bres' reaction when Florence told her about her writing in Chapter 16? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and its impact on Florence King. How were Florence's later political views associated with this book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Florence's relationship with Larry in Chapter 10. Why did Florence seek to date Larry? Why did they break up?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Louise King and the setting of Chapter 1. What year was Mama born? Where did she grow up? What was Ballston like during this time period?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)