|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what department did Florence rush to register for classes, after checking the girls into the dorm in Chapter 13?
2. What did Florence's sorority sisters tease her about in Chapter 12?
3. Where was the Woman Officer Candidate School that Florence attended in Chapter 11?
4. Florence was the only member of her sorority who did not take what popular college course?
5. Bres got rid of the rest of the members of the Grope in Chapter 14 by telling them that she and Florence had to discuss what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Paula Hale inform Florence in Chapter 9? What was her reaction?
2. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
3. How did Florence feel about marriage in Chapter 11? What class was her favorite in college?
4. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
5. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
6. What led Florence to study for the Marines in Chapter 11?
7. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
8. What was Bres' reaction when Florence told her about her writing in Chapter 16? Why?
9. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
10. What was Florence's first impression of her advisor in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "femininity" in the narrative. How did the different figures in Florence's life view femininity differently?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Louise King and the setting of Chapter 1. What year was Mama born? Where did she grow up? What was Ballston like during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and its impact on Florence King. How were Florence's later political views associated with this book?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)