|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bres got rid of the rest of the members of the Grope in Chapter 14 by telling them that she and Florence had to discuss what?
2. What classic Southern belle did Florence study who was a rich heiress, and made her callers wait for a long time?
3. When did the Grope plan to make a liquor run in the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. Florence attempted to read a brochure from her mother's box of what in Chapter 8?
5. What university was suggested to Florence for graduate studies in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bres' reaction when Florence told her about her writing in Chapter 16? Why?
2. What led to Florence's being asked to leave her sorority in Chapter 12?
3. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
4. What were Florence's views on dating in high school in Chapter 8? How did the other girls view her for this?
5. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
6. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
7. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
8. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
9. Where did the Grope go to drink in the end of Chapter 13?
10. Who helped Florence obtain a fellowship for graduate school in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Racine and "Berenice" in the narrative. Why did Berenice replace Dominique as Florence's role model?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)