|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the Renaissance England class in Chapter 12?
2. What did Florence's sorority sisters tease her about in Chapter 12?
3. What did Bres define as "a woman of great stature, strength and courage who is not feminine in conventional ways" in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 9, the college president welcomed the Class of what year?
5. How many words was Florence's story "I Committed Adultery in a Diabetic Coma"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
2. What did the college president state in his speech in Chapter 9?
3. Where did the Grope go to drink in the end of Chapter 13?
4. Who helped Florence obtain a fellowship for graduate school in Chapter 12?
5. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
6. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
7. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
8. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
9. What were Florence's views on dating in high school in Chapter 8? How did the other girls view her for this?
10. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Louise King and the setting of Chapter 1. What year was Mama born? Where did she grow up? What was Ballston like during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "femininity" in the narrative. How did the different figures in Florence's life view femininity differently?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)