|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, the college president recommended the ____ life for his students since it was an excellent way to meet people and acquire dates.
2. In Chapter 9, the college president stated, "a smart woman is one who's smart enough to know when to" what?
3. In what length of time did Florence write "I Committed Adultery in a Diabetic Coma"?
4. What was Florence's favorite college course in Chapter 11?
5. Who wrote the play "Berenice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped Florence obtain a fellowship for graduate school in Chapter 12?
2. How did Florence feel about Bres upon returning from the Christmas holidays in Chapter 16?
3. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
4. What was Florence's first impression of her advisor in college?
5. What did Paula Hale inform Florence in Chapter 9? What was her reaction?
6. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
7. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
8. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
9. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
10. What led to Florence's being asked to leave her sorority in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Racine and "Berenice" in the narrative. Why did Berenice replace Dominique as Florence's role model?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)