|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to all of Bres' belongings after her death?
2. What university did Florence attend for her undergraduate degree?
3. Why was Florence unable to transfer to another school to study French in Chapter 9?
4. What class did the head of the French Department allow Florence to waive in Chapter 9?
5. In what magazine did Florence find a call for first person stories that would be of interest to a housewife in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
2. How did Florence feel about the end of her undergraduate career?
3. What happened with Florence's English textbooks in Chapter 11?
4. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
5. Where did the Grope go to drink in the end of Chapter 13?
6. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
7. What led to Florence's being asked to leave her sorority in Chapter 12?
8. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
9. What were Florence's views on dating in high school in Chapter 8? How did the other girls view her for this?
10. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of sexuality, gender and misanthropy in the text. How did Florence form a misanthropic view during her childhood and why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the relationship between Granny and Florence in Florence's first years. How did Florence feel about Granny in Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)