|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a ray-finned fish known for its large size and fearsome appearance?
2. What did Florence and Bres drink while talking at the dorm in Chapter 14?
3. How old was Bres when Florence met her?
4. Who led the Renaissance England class in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 9, the college president stated, "a smart woman is one who's smart enough to know when to" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
2. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
3. Who helped Florence obtain a fellowship for graduate school in Chapter 12?
4. Who was Florence's first study of the classic Southern belle in Chapter 14?
5. How did Florence feel about the end of her undergraduate career?
6. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
7. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
8. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
9. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
10. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Florence's relationship with Larry in Chapter 10. Why did Florence seek to date Larry? Why did they break up?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Racine and "Berenice" in the narrative. Why did Berenice replace Dominique as Florence's role model?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)