|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bres and Florence visit for Christmas in Chapter 15?
2. What refers to the membrane that surrounds or partially covers the external vaginal opening?
3. What classic Southern belle did Florence study who was a rich heiress, and made her callers wait for a long time?
4. What position did Florence take for the History Department as a summer job in Chapter 12?
5. The Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a Marian litany originally approved when by Pope Sixtus V?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the college president state in his speech in Chapter 9?
2. What did Florence do in preparation for sexual exploration in Chapter 12?
3. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
4. How did Florence feel about marriage in Chapter 11? What class was her favorite in college?
5. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
6. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
7. How did Florence feel about the end of her undergraduate career?
8. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
9. What was Bres' reaction when Florence told her about her writing in Chapter 16? Why?
10. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the American University, and the expectations of women in career paths or marriage paths in the 1950s. How is this exemplified in the president's speech?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the relationship between Granny and Florence in Florence's first years. How did Florence feel about Granny in Chapter 3?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)