|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bres' mother do when Florence begged her for something that belonged to Bres in Chapter 16?
2. Who wrote the play "Berenice"?
3. Why was Florence unable to transfer to another school to study French in Chapter 9?
4. Where was Bres when she died?
5. In what length of time did Florence write "I Committed Adultery in a Diabetic Coma"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
2. How did Florence feel about Bres upon returning from the Christmas holidays in Chapter 16?
3. What was Florence's first impression of her advisor in college?
4. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
5. What did Paula Hale inform Florence in Chapter 9? What was her reaction?
6. What did Herb tell Florence when she called home in Chapter 14?
7. What were Florence's views on dating in high school in Chapter 8? How did the other girls view her for this?
8. How did Florence feel about marriage in Chapter 11? What class was her favorite in college?
9. What did the college president state in his speech in Chapter 9?
10. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the civil rights movement in the narrative. How did Florence feel about segregation and black suppression? Did she have an opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)