|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a Marian litany originally approved when by Pope Sixtus V?
2. Where was the Woman Officer Candidate School that Florence attended in Chapter 11?
3. What, in the original and strict sense is a woman of good family, analogous to the Latin generosus and generosa?
4. What term refers to the automatic repetition of vocalizations made by another person?
5. Who revealed his ancestry was about to be defined in no uncertain terms, and left Florence with two hints to figure it out in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
2. What led Florence to study for the Marines in Chapter 11?
3. What led to Florence's being asked to leave her sorority in Chapter 12?
4. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
5. What was Florence's first impression of her advisor in college?
6. Who was Florence's first study of the classic Southern belle in Chapter 14?
7. What did Paula Hale inform Florence in Chapter 9? What was her reaction?
8. Who helped Florence obtain a fellowship for graduate school in Chapter 12?
9. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
10. How did Florence feel about Bres upon returning from the Christmas holidays in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of education in the South, particularly in Virginia during the 1930s. When and how were girls educated differently than boys at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the American University, and the expectations of women in career paths or marriage paths in the 1950s. How is this exemplified in the president's speech?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Granny (Lura Ruding nee Upton) and Jensy Custis in the narrative. What role did Granny play in Mama and Herb's life before Florence was born?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)