|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Florence fear becoming after graduation in Chapter 12?
2. In what department was Bres a graduate assistant?
3. In Chapter 9, the college president recommended the ____ life for his students since it was an excellent way to meet people and acquire dates.
4. How did Bres die?
5. How far away from Oxford is Batesville, MS?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
2. How did Florence meet Bres in Chapter 13? What were her first impressions?
3. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
4. How did Florence feel about marriage in Chapter 11? What class was her favorite in college?
5. Who was Florence's first study of the classic Southern belle in Chapter 14?
6. What was Bres' reaction when Florence told her about her writing in Chapter 16? Why?
7. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
8. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
9. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
10. What happened with Florence's English textbooks in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Florence's views of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8. How common was it for young women to be uneducated in the ways of sex at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "femininity" in the narrative. How did the different figures in Florence's life view femininity differently?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and its impact on Florence King. How were Florence's later political views associated with this book?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)