|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Florence define as "a woman who worries about her femininity" in Chapter 12?
2. What did Bres suggest Florence apply for in Chapter 16?
3. What did Florence tell the school nurse she wanted to have in Chapter 8?
4. What university was suggested to Florence for graduate studies in Chapter 12?
5. What was Florence's monthly stipend to be for her fellowship in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
2. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
3. Who was Florence's first study of the classic Southern belle in Chapter 14?
4. What led Florence to study for the Marines in Chapter 11?
5. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
6. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
7. What was Florence's first impression of her advisor in college?
8. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
9. How did Florence feel about the end of her undergraduate career?
10. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characteristics of Florence King. What is her writing style like? For what social and political beliefs is she most known?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Memphis and Oxford, Mississippi, in the narrative. How do these settings differ from those in Florence's childhood?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)