|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Florence obtain a fellowship to continue graduate studies in Chapter 12?
2. What was the group known as which had Bres as its leader?
3. Who did Bres and Florence visit for Christmas in Chapter 15?
4. What happened to all of Bres' belongings after her death?
5. Around what year was "Berenice" first performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Florence discover in the library while working on applications for grants in Chapter 16?
2. What did the college president state in his speech in Chapter 9?
3. What did Paula Hale inform Florence in Chapter 9? What was her reaction?
4. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
5. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
6. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
7. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
8. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
9. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
10. What led Florence to study for the Marines in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the role that World War II played in the lives of the King family in Chapter 5. How did Herb feel about the war? How did Mama?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Florence's experiences in the Marine camp and the stereotypes of Marines as lesbians in the narrative. How did Florence stand up for herself in the sorority?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "femininity" in the narrative. How did the different figures in Florence's life view femininity differently?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)