|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in charge of the dormitory which Florence worked at in Chapter 13?
2. Who led the Renaissance England class in Chapter 12?
3. What did Florence's second advisor suggest she write about in Chapter 13?
4. Who was a Roman goddess principally associated with love, beauty and fertility?
5. Who wrote the play "Berenice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What group of girls did Florence belong to in high school? What were the alternative group referred to as?
2. How did Bres come about defining "virago" in Chapter 14?
3. What did Herb tell Florence when she called home in Chapter 14?
4. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
5. Where did the Grope go to drink in the end of Chapter 13?
6. What happened with Florence's English textbooks in Chapter 11?
7. What did the college president state in his speech in Chapter 9?
8. What was Bres' reaction when Florence told her about her writing in Chapter 16? Why?
9. Where did Florence go on her first date in Chapter 10? What were the "rules" for young women dating at that time?
10. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Racine and "Berenice" in the narrative. Why did Berenice replace Dominique as Florence's role model?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Memphis and Oxford, Mississippi, in the narrative. How do these settings differ from those in Florence's childhood?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the relationship between Granny and Florence in Florence's first years. How did Florence feel about Granny in Chapter 3?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)