|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Florence and Bres drink while talking at the dorm in Chapter 14?
2. Who was the head of the French Department in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 8, Florence began to have cramps so bad that her grandmother took her where?
4. In Chapter 9, the college president stated, "a smart woman is one who's smart enough to know when to" what?
5. What did Bres suggest Florence apply for in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Miz Arvella's speech did Florence intend to analyze in Chapter 13?
2. Who did Florence begin dating the summer after her second year of college? Why did she break up with him?
3. How did Florence feel about marriage in Chapter 11? What class was her favorite in college?
4. Why did Florence go to the gynecologist in Chapter 8? What happened?
5. Where did Bres and Florence go for Christmas in Chapter 15? What were Florence's impressions there?
6. How did Florence view the deep South in Chapter 13?
7. What did Paula Hale inform Florence in Chapter 9? What was her reaction?
8. How did Florence feel about the end of her undergraduate career?
9. What was Florence's understanding of sexuality in high school in Chapter 8?
10. Who was Florence's first study of the classic Southern belle in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of sexuality, gender and misanthropy in the text. How did Florence form a misanthropic view during her childhood and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the civil rights movement in the narrative. How did Florence feel about segregation and black suppression? Did she have an opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Florence's experiences in the Marine camp and the stereotypes of Marines as lesbians in the narrative. How did Florence stand up for herself in the sorority?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)