|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what junior high school did Florence transfer a year after she began attending?
2. Who was Florence King's father?
3. What did Florence always refer to her father as?
4. What genre of literature is "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady"?
5. What grade did Florence skip because of her grades in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the family accompany Granny every six months, as described in Chapter 3? What does Florence recall about these visits?
2. Where did Herb and Mama set up house in Chapter 2? What did Granny think?
3. How did Florence and Granny react to Florence's first menstruation in Chapter 7? What literary figure did Florence become obsessed with at this time?
4. What altering descriptions of femininity followed the war in Chapter 6?
5. What argument did Granny and Mama have about working in Chapter 6?
6. How did Granny obtain a house in Chapter 7? What was the new living situation like?
7. How is Mama described in her youth in Chapter 1?
8. What reaction did the war cause in Florence's family in Chapter 5?
9. How did Florence discover the purpose of the IQ test in Chapter 6?
10. What was Granny's idea of an unwarped female? How did she hope to make Florence one in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Herb King and his relationship with Mama as described in the narrative. How long did Mama and Herb date before marrying? Where did they meet?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Racine and "Berenice" in the narrative. Why did Berenice replace Dominique as Florence's role model?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Memphis and Oxford, Mississippi, in the narrative. How do these settings differ from those in Florence's childhood?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)