|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a formal ball and social gathering, often the venue for presenting débutantes - usually May through December?
2. What is the full name of Florence's Mama?
3. In the Prologue, the author states that what enjoy a generic recognition only in the South?
4. What refers to a young lady from an aristocratic or upper class family who has reached the age of maturity, and as a new adult, is introduced to society at a formal "début" presentation?
5. What was the name of Granny's son who died at a young age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Granny described in Chapters 1 and 2? What was her relationship with Mama like?
2. What led Florence's first teacher to suggest she skip Kindergarten B in Chapter 4?
3. What disagreement did Herb and Granny have regarding Evelyn's behavior in Chapter 4?
4. How did Florence describe the summer of 1941 in Chapter 4?
5. How is Evelyn Cunningham described in Chapter 1? Why did she stay with Granny?
6. What was Granny's idea of an unwarped female? How did she hope to make Florence one in Chapter 5?
7. What argument did Granny and Mama have about working in Chapter 6?
8. Where did Herb and Mama set up house in Chapter 2? What did Granny think?
9. How was the role of religion in the King household described in Chapter 3?
10. How did Granny obtain a house in Chapter 7? What was the new living situation like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Evelyn and Mama in the narrative. How are these women different? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "femininity" in the narrative. How did the different figures in Florence's life view femininity differently?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Florence's relationship with Larry in Chapter 10. Why did Florence seek to date Larry? Why did they break up?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)