|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mama do when Florence's teacher sent home remarks that Florence was unsociable in Chapter 5?
2. When did World War II end?
3. Where did Herb and Mama set up their first home in Chapter 2?
4. In what year was Florence's family evicted from the apartment at Park Road?
5. How old was Florence's Mama when she quit school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the role of religion in the King household described in Chapter 3?
2. How did Florence and Granny react to Florence's first menstruation in Chapter 7? What literary figure did Florence become obsessed with at this time?
3. How is Evelyn Cunningham described in Chapter 1? Why did she stay with Granny?
4. Why did Mama date Preston Hunt? Who did she date afterward?
5. How did Granny obtain a house in Chapter 7? What was the new living situation like?
6. What led Florence's first teacher to suggest she skip Kindergarten B in Chapter 4?
7. How did Florence discover the purpose of the IQ test in Chapter 6?
8. What reaction did the war cause in Florence's family in Chapter 5?
9. What did Mama do when Florence's teacher noted she was unfriendly in Chapter 5?
10. What was Florence's conclusion after her failed friendship with Harried in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the American University, and the expectations of women in career paths or marriage paths in the 1950s. How is this exemplified in the president's speech?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Louise King and the setting of Chapter 1. What year was Mama born? Where did she grow up? What was Ballston like during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Florence's visit to the gynecologist in Chapter 8. Why did the doctor present Granny with a certificate and what did it prove?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)