|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Florence's family vacation with their extended family in Chapter 4?
2. When did Mama begin getting contractions in Chapter 2?
3. To what junior high school did Florence transfer a year after she began attending?
4. In what grade did Florence begin studying French?
5. In what year was Florence's family evicted from the apartment at Park Road?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Granny described in Chapters 1 and 2? What was her relationship with Mama like?
2. What argument did Granny and Mama have about working in Chapter 6?
3. What disagreement did Herb and Granny have regarding Evelyn's behavior in Chapter 4?
4. How did Florence and Granny react to Florence's first menstruation in Chapter 7? What literary figure did Florence become obsessed with at this time?
5. What led Granny to move in with Herb and Mama in Chapter 2? Who was Jensy?
6. How is Florence's early childhood described with Granny in Chapter 3?
7. What did Granny predict about Florence's birth? When was she born?
8. What led to Florence being labeled "misanthropic" in Chapter 5?
9. How is Mama described in her youth in Chapter 1?
10. Where did the family accompany Granny every six months, as described in Chapter 3? What does Florence recall about these visits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Louise King and the setting of Chapter 1. What year was Mama born? Where did she grow up? What was Ballston like during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "femininity" in the narrative. How did the different figures in Florence's life view femininity differently?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Granny (Lura Ruding nee Upton) and Jensy Custis in the narrative. What role did Granny play in Mama and Herb's life before Florence was born?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)