|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Mama begin getting contractions in Chapter 2?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) New Year's Eve.
(d) Valentine's Day.
2. Where did Florence's father take her to teach her to read and write during the day in Chapter 3?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The museum.
(c) The library.
(d) His office.
3. Where did Herb finally secure a job in Chapter 7?
(a) A music supply store.
(b) A sandwich shop.
(c) A bar.
(d) A government office.
4. What is the name of the junior high school Florence attended?
(a) Maxwell Jr. High.
(b) Williams Jr. High.
(c) Powell Jr. High.
(d) Central Jr. High.
5. In what city did Herb and Mama live after marrying?
(a) New York, NY.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Oxford, MS.
(d) Charleston, S.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Herb King originally from?
2. What refers to the generalized dislike, distrust, disgust, contempt or hatred of the human species or human nature?
3. Who decided to replace the old tombstones in Congressional Cemetery with one big market in Chapter 5?
4. What character in "The Fountainhead" did Florence attempt to emulate?
5. What is the view that the truth value of certain claims -- especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims -- is unknown or unknowable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Florence transfer schools in Chapter 7? What did she enjoy studying there?
2. How is Evelyn Cunningham described in Chapter 1? Why did she stay with Granny?
3. Where did the family accompany Granny every six months, as described in Chapter 3? What does Florence recall about these visits?
4. How did Granny obtain a house in Chapter 7? What was the new living situation like?
5. What reaction did the war cause in Florence's family in Chapter 5?
6. What was Granny's idea of an unwarped female? How did she hope to make Florence one in Chapter 5?
7. How did Florence and Granny react to Florence's first menstruation in Chapter 7? What literary figure did Florence become obsessed with at this time?
8. What led to Florence being labeled "misanthropic" in Chapter 5?
9. What disagreement did Herb and Granny have regarding Evelyn's behavior in Chapter 4?
10. How is Mama described in her youth in Chapter 1?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)