|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to all of Bres' belongings after her death?
(a) They were burned.
(b) They were given to an orphanage.
(c) They were donated to charity.
(d) Florence took them.
2. Who wrote the play "Berenice"?
(a) Jean Racine.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Ayn Rand.
(d) William Shakespeare.
3. Who revealed his ancestry was about to be defined in no uncertain terms, and left Florence with two hints to figure it out in Chapter 14?
4. What refers to a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women?
5. Where did Florence take a bus ride to from Memphis in Chapter 13?
(a) Oxford, MS.
(b) Chattanooga, TN.
(c) Little Rock, AR.
(d) Nashville, TN.
6. Where did the Grope plan to make a liquor run in the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Memphis, TN.
(b) Chattanooga, TN.
(c) Bayonneville, LA.
(d) West Memphis, AR.
7. How did Bres respond to Florence's news about becoming a published writer in Chapter 16?
(a) With jealousy.
(b) With anger.
(c) With pride.
(d) With joy.
8. What did the doctor present Granny with after Florence's exam in Chapter 8?
(a) A certificate of authenticity.
(b) A certificate of pregnancy.
(c) A certificate of health.
(d) A certificate of virginity.
9. What did Bres suggest Florence apply for in Chapter 16?
(a) A Foundation grant.
(b) A teaching certificate.
(c) A Foundation membership.
(d) A thesis grant.
10. Whose father owned half the Delta, according to the girls in the Grope?
11. To what department did Florence rush to register for classes, after checking the girls into the dorm in Chapter 13?
(a) The History Department.
(b) The School of Education.
(c) The English Department.
(d) The Biology Department.
12. In Chapter 16, the author writes, "while I had never enjoyed reading _______, my whole life had prepared me for writing them... Thanks to Fate, I knew it."
(b) Mystery novels.
(c) True confessions.
(d) Historical fiction.
13. In what magazine did Florence find a call for first person stories that would be of interest to a housewife in Chapter 16?
(a) "Reader's Digest."
(b) "The Writer's Market."
(c) "Woman's World."
(d) "Young Writer's of America."
14. In Chapter 8, Florence began to have cramps so bad that her grandmother took her where?
(a) A midwife.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A pediatrician.
(d) A gynecologist.
15. Who did Florence have a sexual affair with in Chapter 12?
(a) Dr. Nelson.
(b) Dr. James.
(c) Dr. Anderson.
(d) Dr. Newton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What classic Southern belle did Florence study who was a rich heiress, and made her callers wait for a long time?
2. What did Florence and Bres drink while talking at the dorm in Chapter 14?
3. What, in the original and strict sense is a woman of good family, analogous to the Latin generosus and generosa?
4. What is a ray-finned fish known for its large size and fearsome appearance?
5. What Shakespearean word meaning women of the lower orders did Herb reveal to Florence in Chapter 8?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)