|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did the house cleaner come to clean Mama's house in Chapter 2?
(a) Once a day.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Twice a week.
(d) Once a week.
2. What refers to an archetype for a young woman of the American Old South's upper class?
(a) Southern mirage.
(b) Southern belle.
(c) Southern flora.
(d) Southern broad.
3. What overdeveloped girl in Florence's class explained they were determining where to put each person in the junior high track in Chapter 6?
(a) Ann Hopkins.
(b) Jennifer Hopkins.
(c) Andrea Frankle.
(d) Sarah Hopkins.
4. Who paraphrased Henry Adams in Chapter 6, saying "culturally impossible for the American woman to be feminine because she has no defining goddesses"?
5. Where did Herb sign a lease on an apartment after Florence's family was evicted from the apartment at Park Road?
(a) 1022 James.
(b) 1230 14th Street.
(c) 90 Marks Ave.
(d) 1020 Monroe.
6. Who was Florence King's father?
(a) Preston Hunt.
(b) Anderson King.
(c) Herbert King.
(d) James King.
7. Whose Biblical theology was "enervated by her superiority complex," as noted by the author in Chapter 3?
8. What refers to a young lady from an aristocratic or upper class family who has reached the age of maturity, and as a new adult, is introduced to society at a formal "début" presentation?
9. When did Florence's family vacation with their extended family in Chapter 4?
10. Where was Herb King originally from?
(d) New York.
11. When did Mama begin getting contractions in Chapter 2?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Valentine's Day.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) New Year's Eve.
12. How often did Florence's family accompany Granny to church?
(a) Every month.
(b) Every Sunday.
(c) Every 6 months.
(d) Every year.
13. What did Granny have Florence accompany her and Jensy attend on in Chapter 5?
(a) War marches.
(b) Weddings and balls.
(c) Temporal acts of mercy.
(d) Political protests.
14. What did Florence draw when her teacher asked her to sketch something on her first day of school?
(a) Her dog.
(b) The R. M. S. Titanic.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her family.
15. What black woman who worked for her in Ballston did Granny hire in Chapter 2?
(a) Miz Flora.
(b) Jensy Custis.
(c) Aunt Jonesy.
(d) Sara Cummings.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Herb worked increasingly less, refusing to start his own band or solicit engagements from whom, as Granny suggested?
2. What did Mama buy to carry in her suit pocket in Chapter 5?
3. One of the women whom Granny nursed bequeathed her a house where?
4. What refers to a formal ball and social gathering, often the venue for presenting débutantes - usually May through December?
5. What is the name of the junior high school Florence attended?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)