|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Herb King originally from?
(b) New York.
2. What black woman who worked for her in Ballston did Granny hire in Chapter 2?
(a) Jensy Custis.
(b) Miz Flora.
(c) Sara Cummings.
(d) Aunt Jonesy.
3. In what year was Florence's family evicted from the apartment at Park Road?
4. When did World War II end?
5. What refers to the generalized dislike, distrust, disgust, contempt or hatred of the human species or human nature?
6. Where did Florence's Mama grow up?
(a) Charleston, VA.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Little Rock, AR.
(d) Ballston, VA.
7. Who moved into the maid's apartment when Granny inherited a house in Chapter 7?
8. Where did Herb sign a lease on an apartment after Florence's family was evicted from the apartment at Park Road?
(a) 90 Marks Ave.
(b) 1022 James.
(c) 1020 Monroe.
(d) 1230 14th Street.
9. Who was Florence's nemesis who couldn't understand Florence's disdain for popularity in Chapter 5?
(a) Miss Ogilvy.
(b) Miss Tanner.
(c) Miss Letote.
(d) Miss Ballinger.
10. What did Florence always refer to her father as?
11. In what year was Florence's Mama born?
12. Where did Florence's father take her to teach her to read and write during the day in Chapter 3?
(a) The museum.
(b) The library.
(c) The schoolhouse.
(d) His office.
13. In what city did Herb and Mama live after marrying?
(a) New York, NY.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Oxford, MS.
(d) Charleston, S.C.
14. Granny began training Florence to be a lady with what, which they practiced in bed in Chapter 3?
15. Who paraphrased Henry Adams in Chapter 6, saying "culturally impossible for the American woman to be feminine because she has no defining goddesses"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the full name of Florence's Mama?
2. What did Mama begin teaching Florence in Chapter 5 which Granny objected to, saying the child would turn out warped?
3. In the Prologue, the author states that what enjoy a generic recognition only in the South?
4. Where did Florence begin sleeping after outgrowing her crib in Chapter 3?
5. What did Florence's junior high school become a school for a year after she began attending?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)