|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Carlos see Fidel in person, as discussed in Chapter 38?
2. When describing the size of breadfruit, Carlos compares them to what?
3. How many women live in the beautiful house of which Chapter 36 speaks?
4. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
5. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)