|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 30, who had been threatening to use voodoo against Carlos?
2. How many children are eventually exiled from Cuba?
3. Whose screaming diverts the villain's attention in Chapter 32?
4. What does the woman in Chapter 34 call the boys?
5. For what do Tony and Carlos search to exchange for pocket change?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
2. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
3. According to Chapter 28, for what is Carlos's uncle Mario almost imprisoned?
4. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
5. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
6. Describe Carlos's first death.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
8. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
9. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
10. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)