|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
2. Carlos states that after the incident related in Chapter 32, he became as "paranoid" as which character?
3. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
4. What sound is present in Carlos's dreams in the opening of Chapter 29?
5. Who throws the final breadfruit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
2. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
3. What is Ernesto's family history?
4. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
5. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
6. Describe the event that Carlos dreams of as thunder in Chapter 29.
7. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
8. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
9. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
10. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)