|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
2. What is Fidel's title?
3. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
4. Who catches Carlos and his friends taunting the young soldiers?
5. Whose screaming diverts the villain's attention in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Addison's backyard.
2. Describe the "niños bitongos."
3. How does the breadfruit war end?
4. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
5. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
6. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
7. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
8. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
9. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
10. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between church and state in Communist Cuba, as described in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)