|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the cliff over which the boys and Louis XVI frequently go?
2. What do the boys shoot through their blowguns?
3. According to the reports of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in Chapter 29, who has been arrested?
4. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
5. According to Carlos, next to whom should Ernesto sit in heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
2. How does the breadfruit war end?
3. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
4. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
5. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
6. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
7. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
8. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
9. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
10. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between church and state in Communist Cuba, as described in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Carlos's use of setting helps the reader visualize and experience the political events of the book.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)