|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his speeches, what does Fidel call the children who are being exiled to the United States?
2. For what do Tony and Carlos search to exchange for pocket change?
3. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
4. According to the reports of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in Chapter 29, who has been arrested?
5. With what does the villain in Chapter 32 threaten to assault Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
2. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
3. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
4. How does the breadfruit war end?
5. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
6. Describe Addison's backyard.
7. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
8. Describe Carlos's first death.
9. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
10. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)