|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carlos doing at the beginning of Chapter 40?
2. What is accompanying the villain in Chapter 32?
3. In his speeches, what does Fidel call the children who are being exiled to the United States?
4. Who always wears a tuxedo, cape, and top hat?
5. Who is Marie Antoinette's companion during the events of Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
2. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
3. Describe breadfruit.
4. How does El Loco become the hero of Chapter 32?
5. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
6. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
7. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
8. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
9. Describe the event that Carlos dreams of as thunder in Chapter 29.
10. Describe the "niños bitongos."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between church and state in Communist Cuba, as described in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)