|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the pool that Carlos is observing in the beginning of Chapter 31?
2. When describing the size of breadfruit, Carlos compares them to what?
3. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
4. What do the water tanks face?
5. On what character does this chapter focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carlos's first death.
2. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
3. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
4. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
5. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
6. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
7. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
8. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
9. What is Ernesto's family history?
10. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)