|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 37, Carlos dreams of having a pool filled with what?
2. With what does the villain in Chapter 32 threaten to assault Carlos?
3. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
4. In his speeches, what does Fidel call the children who are being exiled to the United States?
5. On what character does this chapter focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
2. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
3. Describe the event that Carlos dreams of as thunder in Chapter 29.
4. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
5. Describe the "niños bitongos."
6. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
7. How does the breadfruit war end?
8. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
9. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
10. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)