|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of breadfruit does Carlos most appreciate?
2. How many children are involved in the breadfruit fight?
3. Which astronaut does Carlos see in Chapter 38?
4. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
5. By Chapter 35, which of Carlos's friends is already in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
2. Describe the "niños bitongos."
3. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
4. Why does Carlos want to request a Coke as his first act in the United States?
5. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
6. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
7. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
8. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
9. Describe Addison's backyard.
10. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)