|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who creates the cheer that makes fun of the young Revolutionary soldiers?
2. With whom does Carlos see Fidel in person, as discussed in Chapter 38?
3. When describing the size of breadfruit, Carlos compares them to what?
4. Carlos wishes that what animal would eat Ernesto?
5. When does Carlos's school close?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the event that Carlos dreams of as thunder in Chapter 29.
2. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
3. Describe Addison's backyard.
4. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
5. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
6. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
7. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
8. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
9. Describe the "niños bitongos."
10. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)