|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
2. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
3. What is the name of Uncle Amado's wife?
4. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
5. What do the boys shoot through their blowguns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
2. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
3. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
4. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
6. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
7. What is Ernesto's family history?
8. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
9. According to Chapter 28, for what is Carlos's uncle Mario almost imprisoned?
10. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Carlos's use of setting helps the reader visualize and experience the political events of the book.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)