|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
2. According to Fidel as mentioned in Chapter 38, who is "evil"?
3. How much time passes before Marie Antoinette is about to meet her boys in the United States?
4. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
5. As Chapter 39 opens, what is the crowd calling Marie Antoinette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carlos's first death.
2. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
3. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
4. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
5. Describe the event that Carlos dreams of as thunder in Chapter 29.
6. What is Ernesto's family history?
7. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
8. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
9. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
10. According to Chapter 28, for what is Carlos's uncle Mario almost imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between church and state in Communist Cuba, as described in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony inherent within the character El Loco as well as his role throughout the book. What does he symbolize? Why?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)