|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop does Addison grow in his mansion?
2. What is accompanying the villain in Chapter 32?
3. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
4. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
5. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
2. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
3. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
4. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
5. What is Ernesto's family history?
6. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
7. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
8. Describe Addison's backyard.
9. Describe the "niños bitongos."
10. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)