|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Carlos call Ernesto in Chapter ?
2. Which astronaut does Carlos see in Chapter 38?
3. According to Chapter 30, who had been threatening to use voodoo against Carlos?
4. What is the most noticeable thing about the woman mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 34?
5. What did Aunt Lily receive from her fiancé before he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
2. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
3. How does El Loco become the hero of Chapter 32?
4. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
5. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
6. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
7. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
8. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
9. Describe breadfruit.
10. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Carlos's use of setting helps the reader visualize and experience the political events of the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)