|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlos do at the beautiful house?
2. With whom does Carlos see Fidel in person, as discussed in Chapter 38?
3. What is the name for counter-Revolutionaries, as mentioned in Chapter 29?
4. What does Carlos experience at night in Chapter 30?
5. What feeling does this chapter express?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
2. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
3. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
4. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
5. What is Ernesto's family history?
6. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
7. Describe Carlos's first death.
8. According to Chapter 28, for what is Carlos's uncle Mario almost imprisoned?
9. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
10. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 2
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)