|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the pool that Carlos is observing in the beginning of Chapter 31?
2. In his speeches, what does Fidel call the children who are being exiled to the United States?
3. Who creates the cheer that makes fun of the young Revolutionary soldiers?
4. Where does Carlos almost have to spend the night with a large crucifix, as discussed in Chapter 35?
5. What is the name for counter-Revolutionaries, as mentioned in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ernesto's family history?
2. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
3. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
4. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
5. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
7. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
8. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
9. How does the breadfruit war end?
10. Why does Carlos want to request a Coke as his first act in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony inherent within the character El Loco as well as his role throughout the book. What does he symbolize? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)