|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos plan to request when he reaches the United States?
2. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
3. Who says that "evil [...] is the absence of good"?
4. Where is the pool that Carlos is observing in Chapter 31?
5. Carlos mentions in Chapter 27 that his beloved teacher told his mother he has the nicest what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
2. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
3. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
4. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
5. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
6. Why does Carlos want to request a Coke as his first act in the United States?
7. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
8. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
9. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
10. Describe Carlos's first death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between church and state in Communist Cuba, as described in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)