|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 35, what is the name of the boy who becomes friends with a crucifix in a movie that Carlos has seen?
2. Who is "capable of poisoning [Carlos's] relationship with [his] father"?
3. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
4. In his speeches, what does Fidel call the children who are being exiled to the United States?
5. Who is Marie Antoinette's companion during the events of Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
2. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
3. What is Ernesto's family history?
4. How does El Loco become the hero of Chapter 32?
5. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
6. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
7. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
8. Describe Carlos's first death.
9. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
10. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)