|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the cliff over which the boys and Louis XVI frequently go?
2. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
3. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
4. Who takes the passport photos for Carlos and Tony?
5. How is the weather in the beginning of Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos want to request a Coke as his first act in the United States?
2. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
3. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
4. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
5. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
6. How does the breadfruit war end?
7. Describe the "niños bitongos."
8. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
9. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
10. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
Essay Topic 3
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)