|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
2. What does the Jamaican man sell?
3. What is the name of Uncle Amado's wife?
4. As Carlos notes in Chapter 34, who would have called the boys' peashooting incident an act of "caritas"?
5. What is the most noticeable thing about the woman mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "niños bitongos."
2. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
3. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
4. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
5. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
6. Describe Carlos's first death.
7. How does El Loco become the hero of Chapter 32?
8. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
9. What is Ernesto's family history?
10. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
Essay Topic 3
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)