|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Lily receive from her fiancé before he died?
2. According to Chapter 35, what is the name of the boy who becomes friends with a crucifix in a movie that Carlos has seen?
3. What is the most noticeable thing about the woman mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 34?
4. With what does the villain in Chapter 32 threaten to assault Carlos?
5. What crop does Addison grow in his mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Communist propaganda that Carlos hears in Chapter 38.
2. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
3. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
4. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
5. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
6. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
7. Describe Carlos's first death.
8. Describe Addison's backyard.
9. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
10. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Carlos's use of setting helps the reader visualize and experience the political events of the book.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)