|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how old is the villain in Chapter 32?
2. In Chapter 32, who else is present while Carlos is talking with the villain?
3. How many women live in the beautiful house of which Chapter 36 speaks?
4. How many children are eventually exiled from Cuba?
5. Who wakes the children in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
2. According to Chapter 28, for what is Carlos's uncle Mario almost imprisoned?
3. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
4. What is Ernesto's family history?
5. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
6. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
7. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
8. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
9. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
10. How does El Loco become the hero of Chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)