|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the pool that Carlos is observing in Chapter 31?
2. Carlos wishes that what animal would eat Ernesto?
3. In Chapter 32, who else is present while Carlos is talking with the villain?
4. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
5. According to Fidel as mentioned in Chapter 38, who is "evil"?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
2. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
3. Describe Addison's backyard.
4. Describe the "niños bitongos."
5. What is Ernesto's family history?
6. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
7. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
8. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
10. Why does Carlos want to request a Coke as his first act in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony inherent within the character El Loco as well as his role throughout the book. What does he symbolize? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)