|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes before Marie Antoinette is about to meet her boys in the United States?
2. As Chapter 39 opens, what is the crowd calling Marie Antoinette?
3. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
4. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
5. In Chapter 32, who else is present while Carlos is talking with the villain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe breadfruit.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
3. How does the breadfruit war end?
4. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
5. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
6. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
7. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
8. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
9. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
10. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the breadfruit war function as a catharsis in the novel? What are the events that build tension before and after the war? How would the scene have seemed different if it had been placed somewhere separate from those tensions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Carlos's use of setting helps the reader visualize and experience the political events of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)