|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Spanish word for disillusionment?
2. What does the Jeep mentioned in Chapter 5 spray?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 22, Carlos's wife buys him a poster of which actress?
4. In Chapter 22, what lands on Fidel's shoulder?
5. In Chapter 2, what television show does Tony mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
2. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
3. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
4. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
5. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
6. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
7. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
8. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
9. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
10. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
Essay Topic 2
How does the breadfruit war function as a catharsis in the novel? What are the events that build tension before and after the war? How would the scene have seemed different if it had been placed somewhere separate from those tensions?
Essay Topic 3
How does Carlos's use of Spanish words and phrases affect the overall tone and feel of the book? Does it add to or detract from his air of authority over the subject matter? Explain.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)