|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of car does Carlos ride to school?
2. What is the name of Fernando's cousin, the one who sets off bombs to act against Fidel's government?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 22, Carlos's wife buys him a poster of which actress?
4. How many men are in the car that Carlos is envisioning at the beginning of Chapter 26?
5. As mentioned in Chapter 7, what is the name of the chimp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
2. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
3. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
4. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
5. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
6. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
7. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
8. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
9. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
10. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)