|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what nationality is the hot dog man in Carlos's neighborhood?
2. Carlos notes in Chapter 1 that his Aunt Lucia had been what political figure in a previous life?
3. What is the name of Carlos's nanny?
4. In Chapter 11, where does young Carlos's head get stuck?
5. Who developed the concept of Gelassenheit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
2. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
3. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
4. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
5. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
6. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
7. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
8. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
9. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
10. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony inherent within the character El Loco as well as his role throughout the book. What does he symbolize? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)