|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most of the men who are in the car in Chapter 26 die?
2. In Chapter 16, where does Carlos see the shape of Cuba?
3. What holiday is the Nieto family celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. According to Chapter 4, which people always read dirty magazines?
5. What is the Spanish word for disillusionment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
2. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
3. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
4. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
5. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
6. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
7. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
8. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
9. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
10. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 3
How does the breadfruit war function as a catharsis in the novel? What are the events that build tension before and after the war? How would the scene have seemed different if it had been placed somewhere separate from those tensions?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)