|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carlos work?
2. According to the students in Chapter 4, where did Adam and Eve live?
3. Who is invariably present at birthday parties?
4. In Chapter 11, where does young Carlos's head get stuck?
5. What is the last place mentioned in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
2. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
3. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
4. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
5. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
6. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
7. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
8. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
9. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
10. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)