|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the co-ed school to which Carlos transfers?
2. A statue of which saint resides at Aunt Carmela's house?
3. In Chapter 16, where does Carlos see the shape of Cuba?
4. What do the boys throw at each other in Chapter 15?
5. What movie makes Carlos suddenly like the idea of kissing a woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
2. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
3. Why does Carlos want to request a Coke as his first act in the United States?
4. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
5. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
7. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
8. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
9. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
10. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
Essay Topic 2
How does the breadfruit war function as a catharsis in the novel? What are the events that build tension before and after the war? How would the scene have seemed different if it had been placed somewhere separate from those tensions?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)