|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys throw at each other in Chapter 15?
2. When Aunt Lucía is dying in a nursing home, what does Carlos bring her?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Carlos state he would like to be buried?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 6, whom does Carlos imagine at the window?
5. What is the name of Fernando's cousin, the one who sets off bombs to act against Fidel's government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
2. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
4. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
5. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
6. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
7. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
8. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
9. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
10. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)