|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie makes Carlos suddenly like the idea of kissing a woman?
2. On what does Carlos get drunk in Chapter 6?
3. Chapter 3 mentions whom as the translator of the Bible into Latin?
4. What is Fernando's father's name?
5. From what disease do Tony and Carlos suffer in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
2. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
3. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
4. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
5. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
6. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
7. What are the instructions that come with receiving a key to the family pantheon?
8. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
9. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
10. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)