|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the principal of Carlos's school?
2. Chapter 3 mentions whom as the translator of the Bible into Latin?
3. On what holiday does Chapter 20 begin?
4. Who is the first villain in Carlos's dreams?
5. What holiday is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
2. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
3. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
4. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
5. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
6. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
7. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
8. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
9. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
10. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
Essay Topic 2
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)