Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "cocuyos" mean?
2. How long does Carlos have to wait between eating lunch and going swimming?
3. As Carlos mentions in Chapter 9, who was the voice of Speedy Gonzalez?
4. What city is described in the beginning of chapter 3?
5. What is Fernando's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
2. How do Carlos and his grandfather react to the Communist propaganda in Chapter 38?
3. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
4. What is Ernesto's family history?
5. Describe the Aquarium of the Revolution.
6. How does Louis XVI react to the angry lady in Chapter 34, and how does he feel afterward?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
8. What does Carlos report that Ernest did to him?
9. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
10. Describe Carlos's first death.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)