|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carlos doing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. What holiday is the Nieto family celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 24?
3. According to Chapter 20, what type of cooking does Carlos find particularly horrifying?
4. What do the boys throw at each other in Chapter 15?
5. What holiday is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
2. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
3. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
4. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
5. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
6. What are the instructions that come with receiving a key to the family pantheon?
7. In Chapter 20, how does Louis XVI deal with the man at the door?
8. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
9. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
10. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony inherent within the character El Loco as well as his role throughout the book. What does he symbolize? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
Essay Topic 3
How does Carlos's use of Spanish words and phrases affect the overall tone and feel of the book? Does it add to or detract from his air of authority over the subject matter? Explain.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)