|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first villain in Carlos's dreams?
2. Which cinema has deplorable restrooms?
3. What is the last place mentioned in Chapter 23?
4. From what country did the ancestors of Carlos's mother come?
5. A diorama of which place fills Carlos's dining room?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
2. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
3. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
4. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
5. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
6. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
7. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
8. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
9. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
10. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)