|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in the car that Carlos is envisioning at the beginning of Chapter 26?
2. According to Chapter 20, what type of cooking does Carlos find particularly horrifying?
3. From what disease do Tony and Carlos suffer in Chapter 21?
4. From what country is Carlos's grandfather Nieto?
5. Which cinema has deplorable restrooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
2. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
3. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
4. In Chapter 20, how does Louis XVI deal with the man at the door?
5. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
6. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
7. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
8. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
9. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
10. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
Essay Topic 2
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between church and state in Communist Cuba, as described in this book?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)