|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, where does Carlos see the shape of Cuba?
2. Where does Carlos get milkshakes in Havana?
3. With what do Carlos and Tony strike an eighteenth-century cup in the beginning of Chapter 19?
4. Who kisses Carlos and leaves a lipstick smudge on his cheek in Chapter 6?
5. According to the students in Chapter 4, where did Adam and Eve live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
2. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see <i>20,000 Leagues Under the Sea</i>?
3. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
4. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
5. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 30, why does Carlos say, "Another day in Limbo"?
7. Describe Addison's backyard.
8. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
9. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
10. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)