|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Fernando born?
2. What do the children of the Nieto family receive when they turn sixteen?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 6, whom does Carlos imagine at the window?
4. What is the name of Carlos's youngest child?
5. What does Carlos see in Chapter 1 that reminds him of the maid's breasts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
2. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
3. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
4. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
5. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
6. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
7. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
8. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
9. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
10. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Carlos's use of writing techniques to propel the plot forward quickly in the scene of his experiencing the gunfight in the park.
Essay Topic 3
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)