|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "cocuyos" mean?
2. What holiday is the Nieto family celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 24?
3. From what disease do Tony and Carlos suffer in Chapter 21?
4. Who is invariably present at birthday parties?
5. Who is driving the car discussed in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
2. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
3. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
4. What are the instructions that come with receiving a key to the family pantheon?
5. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
6. In Chapter 20, how does Louis XVI deal with the man at the door?
7. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
8. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
9. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
10. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Carlos's complex relationship with his father. Why does he feel the way he does? Does Louis XVI deserve such a sentiment?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)