|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Carlos mentions in Chapter 9, who was the voice of Speedy Gonzalez?
2. On what does Carlos get drunk in Chapter 6?
3. What does the Spanish word "cohetes" mean?
4. Of what nationality is the hot dog man in Carlos's neighborhood?
5. Which philosopher does Carlos despise?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
2. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
3. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
4. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
5. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
6. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
7. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
8. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
9. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
10. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Carlos's use of setting helps the reader visualize and experience the political events of the book.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)