|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Spanish word "cohetes" mean?
2. A statue of which saint resides at Aunt Carmela's house?
3. What do the children of the Nieto family receive when they turn sixteen?
4. How old is Carlos in the anecdote with which chapter 1 opens?
5. Who buys Carlos and Tony comic books each Wednesday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
2. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
3. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
4. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
5. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
6. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
7. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
8. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
9. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
10. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 3
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)