|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 22, what does Carlos always ask the soldiers he sees?
2. How old is Carlos in the anecdote with which chapter 1 opens?
3. In which theater is Carlos watching a movie in the beginning of Chapter 23?
4. What does the Jeep mentioned in Chapter 5 spray?
5. Carlos discusses which toys in the beginning of Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
2. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
3. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
4. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
5. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
6. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
7. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
8. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
9. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
10. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Aquarium of the Revolution mitigate Carlos's highly negative picture of Communism? Is it enough to make the reader believe that Communism has good points? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)