|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aunt Lucía is dying in a nursing home, what does Carlos bring her?
2. Who runs the school called La Salle del Vedado?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 22, Carlos's wife buys him a poster of which actress?
4. What is the Spanish word for disillusionment?
5. From what did Carlos's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
2. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
3. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
4. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
5. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
6. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
7. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
8. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
9. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
10. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
Essay Topic 2
How does the breadfruit war function as a catharsis in the novel? What are the events that build tension before and after the war? How would the scene have seemed different if it had been placed somewhere separate from those tensions?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)