|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in the car that Carlos is envisioning at the beginning of Chapter 26?
2. A statue of which saint resides at Aunt Carmela's house?
3. As discussed in Chapter 26, what is in the trunk of the car Carlos is envisioning?
4. Who is the first actor mentioned in Chapter 23?
5. What is the name of the beggar in Carlos's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
2. How does El Loco become the hero of Chapter 32?
3. Describe Addison's backyard.
4. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
5. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
6. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
7. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
8. How does the breadfruit war end?
9. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
10. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)