|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in Chapter 7, what is the name of the chimp?
2. Who buys Carlos and Tony comic books each Wednesday?
3. A statue of which saint resides at Aunt Carmela's house?
4. On what does Carlos get drunk in Chapter 6?
5. In which theater is Carlos watching a movie in the beginning of Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
2. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
3. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
4. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
5. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
6. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
7. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
8. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
9. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
10. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two symbols that signify unrelated concepts, and then, using your literary sensibilities, create some common ground between them based on the material you find in the book. Remember that symbols can carry many different levels of meaning and that you can espouse any position you are capable of defending.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)