|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease do Tony and Carlos suffer in Chapter 21?
2. As discussed in Chapter 26, what is in the trunk of the car Carlos is envisioning?
3. How old is Carlos in the anecdote with which chapter 1 opens?
4. Who kisses Carlos and leaves a lipstick smudge on his cheek in Chapter 6?
5. According to Chapter 4, which people always read dirty magazines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
2. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
3. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
4. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
5. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
6. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
7. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
8. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
9. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
10. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the archetypal villains of the militia, Fidel, and Ernesto.
Essay Topic 2
How does Carlos's use of Spanish words and phrases affect the overall tone and feel of the book? Does it add to or detract from his air of authority over the subject matter? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)