|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unexpectedly hugs Carlos in Chapter 7?
2. What is the only comic book that Carlos has taken on his outing in Chapter 2?
3. What is Eugenio's nickname?
4. Chapter 3 mentions whom as the translator of the Bible into Latin?
5. What does the Jeep mentioned in Chapter 5 spray?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
2. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
3. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
4. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
5. What are the instructions that come with receiving a key to the family pantheon?
6. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
7. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
8. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
9. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
10. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify two symbols of fear in the book. How are they similar, and how are they different? What other symbolic significances do they carry? Support your opinions with details from the book as much as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of fear and risk-taking and how the two interact with each other in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)