|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only comic book that Carlos has taken on his outing in Chapter 2?
2. Who buys Carlos and Tony comic books each Wednesday?
3. A diorama of which place fills Carlos's dining room?
4. How many men are in the car that Carlos is envisioning at the beginning of Chapter 26?
5. What is Carlos's father's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
2. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
3. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
4. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
5. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
6. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
7. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
8. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
9. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
10. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of death in this book. What are the various moments that seem like a type of death? What are the moments that Carlos himself identifies as a death? Do you think death is a good symbol for those events, or do you think something else could more appropriately have symbolized them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a couple of minor characters, such as Inocencia or Pepito, and describe their reactions to Communism. How do they compare to the reactions of Carlos?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)