|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insects bite Rafa and Carlos in Chapter 5?
2. Who is the first actor mentioned in Chapter 23?
3. Who is the first villain in Carlos's dreams?
4. According to the students in Chapter 4, where did Adam and Eve live?
5. What is the last place mentioned in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
2. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
3. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
4. What are the instructions that come with receiving a key to the family pantheon?
5. How did Carlos's grandfather Amado die, and how old was he?
6. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
7. In Chapter 2, who is the man who hides behind Marie Antoinette, and what happens to him?
8. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
9. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
10. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Fernando fit the archetype of the hero? What other characters in the book also seem like heroes, and how do they compare and contrast with Fernando?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Fidel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Carlos's experiences with and feelings about lizards. What do the lizards symbolize? How does Carlos relate to them at various points in his life?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)