|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is invariably present at birthday parties?
2. Who buys Carlos and Tony comic books each Wednesday?
3. In Chapter 11, who sits on Carlos's head?
4. Who unexpectedly hugs Carlos in Chapter 7?
5. What is Fernando's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
2. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
3. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
4. Explain one of the lessons on hell that is described in Chapter 19.
5. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
6. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
7. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
8. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
9. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
10. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of Communism, using either money or the Bosque as a lens through which to view those effects.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between history and memory in this book. In your opinion, is this book more about Carlos's memories or more about history? Explain your thoughts, using as much detail from the text as you can remember.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Carlos's assessment of the school of parrot fish as a miracle, in comparison with other miracles that he has witnessed in his life.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)