|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carlos remember best from the year of school he discusses in Chapter 27?
(a) The smell of the chalkboard.
(b) His penmanship lessons.
(c) The way the students disappeared.
(d) The hair of the girl he liked.
2. What aspect of breadfruit does Carlos most appreciate?
(a) The way it looks.
(b) The way it sounds when it falls from the tree.
(c) Its taste.
(d) Its explosive potential.
3. What is Fidel's title?
(a) Comrade Castro.
(b) Maximum Leader.
(c) His Majesty the King.
(d) Mr. President.
4. Who wakes the children in Chapter 29?
(c) Louis XVI.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
5. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
(a) Being abused by Ernesto.
(b) Leaving Cuba.
(c) Being bitten by a scorpion.
(d) Realizing that his father prefers Ernesto.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Carlos share his fear of sharks?
2. How many lizards does Carlos kill in Chapter 39?
3. Which astronaut does Carlos see in Chapter 38?
4. Which of Carlos's relatives always wears a white suit?
5. Who is "capable of poisoning [Carlos's] relationship with [his] father"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 27, how would Plato have reacted to Carlos's female teacher? How would Kant have reacted?
2. How does the breadfruit war end?
3. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
4. According to Chapter 31, what happens when Carlos is swimming in Minnesota?
5. Describe the miraculous event that Carlos witnesses in Chapter 35.
6. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
7. Describe the "niños bitongos."
8. How does Carlos feel now as an adult about the time when he killed many lizards?
9. What does Carlos imagine the diving board telling him to do, and why?
10. What is Ernesto's family history?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)