|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
(b) Fidel Castro.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
2. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
(a) Being bitten by a scorpion.
(b) Being abused by Ernesto.
(c) Leaving Cuba.
(d) Realizing that his father prefers Ernesto.
3. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
(a) Eugenio's mother.
(c) The Jamaican man.
4. In Chapter 32, who else is present while Carlos is talking with the villain?
5. According to Carlos, next to whom should Ernesto sit in heaven?
(b) Mel Blanc.
(d) Thomas Aquinas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the oceanic event in Chapter 35?
2. On what character does this chapter focus?
3. Who is "capable of poisoning [Carlos's] relationship with [his] father"?
4. In his speeches, what does Fidel call the children who are being exiled to the United States?
5. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fidel's milk consumption in Chapter 36 significant?
2. As discussed in Chapter 28, who are the Pioneers and what do they stand for?
3. As discussed in Chapter 37, why does Carlos feel shame about his upbringing?
4. Describe the young man who accosts Carlos and Jorge in Chapter 32.
5. Describe Filo's situation in the auditorium, as Carlos relates in Chapter 29.
6. Describe Carlos's first death.
7. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
8. What is Ernesto's family history?
9. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
10. Describe the event that Carlos dreams of as thunder in Chapter 29.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)