|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of car does Carlos ride to school?
2. What do the children of the Nieto family receive when they turn sixteen?
(a) Driving lessons.
(b) Keys to the pantheon.
(c) A new suit.
(d) Keys to the family car.
3. In Chapter 16, where does Carlos see the shape of Cuba?
(a) In the clouds.
(b) In an English muffin.
(c) In an ink stain on his desk.
(d) In the coffee stain on his favorite shirt.
4. What is the name of Fernando's cousin, the one who sets off bombs to act against Fidel's government?
5. What is the name of the jackpot in the Spanish lottery?
(a) El Premio Gordo.
(b) El Alto Grado.
(c) El Primer Piso.
(d) El Somnambulente.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Fernando born?
2. What is the name of Carlos's nanny?
3. What is the Spanish word for disillusionment?
4. Who is invariably present at birthday parties?
5. What fruit does Carlos discuss at length in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how does Louis XVI deal with the man at the door?
2. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
4. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
5. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
6. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
7. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
8. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
9. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
10. Why is Carlos suddenly not allowed to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)