|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is described in the beginning of chapter 3?
(a) New York.
(d) San Juan.
2. In Chapter 16, where does Carlos see the shape of Cuba?
(a) In the clouds.
(b) In the coffee stain on his favorite shirt.
(c) In an ink stain on his desk.
(d) In an English muffin.
3. From what country did the ancestors of Carlos's mother come?
4. To what sin is Carlos especially prone, as described in Chapter 14?
5. A statue of which saint resides at Aunt Carmela's house?
(a) Saint Lazarus.
(b) Saint Therese of the Little Flower.
(c) Saint Sebastian.
(d) Saint Francis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in the car that Carlos is envisioning at the beginning of Chapter 26?
2. What do the Cuban children call their birthday cakes?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 7, what is the name of the chimp?
4. What holiday is the Nieto family celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. On what holiday does Chapter 20 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis XVI wish he could have afforded to be Pilate in the church murals?
2. What is the game the boys play with the "pesticide Jeep"?
3. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
4. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
5. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
6. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
7. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
8. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
9. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
10. What happens when the police stop Fernando's car in Chapter 26?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)