|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is invariably present at birthday parties?
(a) The priest.
(b) A balloon artist.
(c) The children's mothers.
(d) A clown.
2. What is the name of Carlos's youngest child?
3. Where was Fernando born?
(b) The United States.
4. What movie makes Carlos suddenly like the idea of kissing a woman?
(a) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
(b) Some Like It Hot.
(d) Queen of Outer Space.
5. What is the only comic book that Carlos has taken on his outing in Chapter 2?
(a) Elastic Man.
(b) Iron Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 mentions whom as the translator of the Bible into Latin?
2. Who is driving the car discussed in Chapter 26?
3. From what country did the ancestors of Carlos's mother come?
4. What does the Spanish word "cohetes" mean?
5. What is the name of the co-ed school to which Carlos transfers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Carlos's third proof for the existence of God, as related in Chapter 11.
2. Describe what Carlos sees at the dining room window in Chapter 6.
3. According to Chapter 7, what happened to Cuba after Fidel came to power?
4. What is the significance of the mamey pit to Carlos?
5. Explain the gift exchange between Carlos and Aunt Lucía that is discussed in Chapter 18.
6. What are the various Christmas traditions at the Nieto house, as described in Chapter 10?
7. As discussed in Chapter 17, describe the Chinese man's profession.
8. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
9. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
10. Describe Havana on New Year's Eve, as portrayed in Chapter 1. What has happened to affect the city this way?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)