|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Carlos in the anecdote with which chapter 1 opens?
2. What is the name of the beggar in Carlos's neighborhood?
(a) El Hombre.
(b) El Loco.
(c) El Carpintero.
(d) El Jabón.
3. In Chapter 16, where does Carlos see the shape of Cuba?
(a) In the clouds.
(b) In the coffee stain on his favorite shirt.
(c) In an English muffin.
(d) In an ink stain on his desk.
4. Who buys Carlos and Tony comic books each Wednesday?
(a) Aunt Lucía.
(b) Aunt Carmela.
(c) Eugenio's mother.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
5. When Aunt Lucía is dying in a nursing home, what does Carlos bring her?
(d) Vanilla milkshakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is Carlos's grandfather Nieto?
2. What is a paredón?
3. From what did Carlos's father die?
4. What fruit does Carlos discuss at length in Chapter 25?
5. What do the boys throw at each other in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties does Marie Antoinette face before she can find the boys in the United States?
2. Summarize the contents of the Cuban history lesson the boys receive at the beginning of Chapter 4.
3. Who is Mel Blanc, and how does Carlos feel about him?
4. Describe the incident in which the boys try to send something into orbit.
5. How does Carlos feel about Lou and Norma Chait?
6. Why does Carlos wish he could have been a Viking?
7. How do Louis XVI's staff members treat him and his family? Why?
8. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
9. Who makes the peashooters and out of which material, and why do the boys use peas?
10. What happens at Carlos's co-ed school when someone finds out that a certain boy likes a certain girl?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)