|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Cuban children call their birthday cakes?
2. What is the name of Fernando's cousin, the one who sets off bombs to act against Fidel's government?
3. Where does Carlos get milkshakes in Havana?
(a) Dairy Queen.
(c) Dairy Freeze.
4. What is Carlos's father's profession?
(c) Police officer.
5. In Chapter 11, where does young Carlos's head get stuck?
(a) Under the sofa.
(b) In a car door.
(c) In a pew.
(d) In a hat that is too small.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie makes Carlos suddenly like the idea of kissing a woman?
2. Who buys Carlos and Tony comic books each Wednesday?
3. What is the name of the co-ed school to which Carlos transfers?
4. How do most of the men who are in the car in Chapter 26 die?
5. Where does Carlos work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlos feel about the poster he made in fourth grade?
2. Explain the concept of Gelassenheit.
3. In Chapter 20, how does Louis XVI deal with the man at the door?
4. What happened to Carlos's great-great-grandmother Butrón-Múgicas?
5. With regard to Fernando's prison term, what does "rehabilitation" mean?
6. Explain what happens when people begin to shout "paredón."
7. According to Chapter 22, with what are the boys sick and how do they handle it?
8. How do Cubans relate to a statue of Saint Lazarus, and what connection does Carlos have with one?
9. Where does Carlos see the Cuba-shaped clouds, and how does he feel about them?
10. What are the instructions that come with receiving a key to the family pantheon?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)