|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the reports of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in Chapter 29, who has been arrested?
(a) Aunt Lucía.
(d) The Jamaican man.
2. What is the name for counter-Revolutionaries, as mentioned in Chapter 29?
3. What is the name of the family that temporarily adopts Carlos in Miami?
4. What aspect of breadfruit does Carlos most appreciate?
(a) Its explosive potential.
(b) The way it sounds when it falls from the tree.
(c) Its taste.
(d) The way it looks.
5. What does the sound in the beginning of Chapter 29 turn out to be?
(b) Armies marching through the street.
(d) An alarm clock.
6. What is the oceanic event in Chapter 35?
(b) Parrot fish.
(c) Sea anemone.
7. When does Carlos's school close?
(a) September 1962.
(b) July 1964.
(c) April 1961.
(d) December 1958.
8. How much time passes before Marie Antoinette is about to meet her boys in the United States?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3-1/2 years.
(d) 7 years.
9. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
(a) The wailing room.
(b) Virgil's Place.
(c) La quincena.
(d) The fishbowl.
10. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
(a) Plastic tubing.
(c) Iron filings.
11. What do the water tanks face?
(a) Downtown Miami.
(b) The Bay of Pigs.
(c) The Gulf of Mexico.
(d) Downtown Havana.
12. What is in the pool that Carlos is observing in the beginning of Chapter 31?
(a) Manta rays.
13. What name does Carlos call Ernesto in Chapter <*#!!%$+!>?
(d) Bag of bones.
14. What is Carlos doing at the beginning of Chapter 40?
(d) Teaching a class.
15. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
(a) The sound of its explosion.
(b) Its smell.
(c) Its taste.
(d) Its appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, what is described as "rivers of sludge"?
2. According to Fidel as mentioned in Chapter 38, who is "evil"?
3. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
4. Who always wears a tuxedo, cape, and top hat?
5. Carlos wishes that what animal would eat Ernesto?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)