|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
(a) Eugenio's mother.
(d) The Jamaican man.
2. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
3. What type of car is Louis XVI driving in Chapter 34?
4. How is the weather in the beginning of Chapter 38?
5. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
(a) A miracle.
(b) A phenomenon.
(c) A fluke.
(d) A hoax.
6. How high is the cliff over which the boys and Louis XVI frequently go?
(a) Fifteen feet.
(b) Fifty feet.
(c) One hundred feet.
(d) Two hundred feet.
7. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
(a) Being bitten by a scorpion.
(b) Realizing that his father prefers Ernesto.
(c) Leaving Cuba.
(d) Being abused by Ernesto.
8. Who says that "evil [...] is the absence of good"?
(a) Meister Eckhart.
(b) Thomas Aquinas.
(c) The Platonists.
9. By Chapter 35, which of Carlos's friends is already in the United States?
10. What crop does Addison grow in his mansion?
11. When describing the size of breadfruit, Carlos compares them to what?
(a) A golf ball.
(b) A large apple.
(c) A small melon.
(d) A softball.
12. Where is the pool that Carlos is observing in Chapter 31?
(a) The Monterrey Bay Aquarium.
(b) The Aquarium of the Revolution.
(c) The National Museum of Aquatic Life.
(d) Aunt Carmela's house.
13. Who wakes the children in Chapter 29?
(b) Louis XVI.
(c) Marie Antoinette.
14. What is the name of the family that temporarily adopts Carlos in Miami?
15. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children are eventually exiled from Cuba?
2. What did Aunt Lily receive from her fiancé before he died?
3. Who catches Carlos and his friends taunting the young soldiers?
4. What do Carlos and his friends rescue in Chapter 31?
5. What is the nickname of the pool man at the beach club to which Manuel and Rafael belong?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)