|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos plan to request when he reaches the United States?
(a) A Coca-Cola.
(b) A hot dog.
(c) A milkshake.
(d) A piece of gum.
2. To which organization do Tony and Carlos belong, until they realize it has too many rules?
(a) Future Homemakers of America.
(c) Cub Scouts.
(d) Hitler Youth.
3. Who catches Carlos and his friends taunting the young soldiers?
(a) Aunt Lucía.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) Louis XVI.
(d) Eugenio's mother.
4. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
(b) Iron filings.
(d) Plastic tubing.
5. When describing the size of breadfruit, Carlos compares them to what?
(a) A golf ball.
(b) A softball.
(c) A large apple.
(d) A small melon.
6. What does the Jamaican man sell?
(a) Hot dogs.
7. What does the sound in the beginning of Chapter 29 turn out to be?
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) Armies marching through the street.
8. What are the young Revolutionary soldiers-in-training called?
(b) Communist Youth.
(c) Los Communistas Militantes.
(d) Junior Axmen.
9. What did Aunt Lily receive from her fiancé before he died?
(a) A fountain pen.
(b) A string of pearls.
(c) A sapphire ring.
(d) A diary.
10. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
11. As Carlos notes in Chapter 34, who would have called the boys' peashooting incident an act of "caritas"?
(a) Saint Thomas Aquinas.
(b) Saint Augustine.
(c) Saint Jerome.
(d) Gregory the Great.
12. What crop does Addison grow in his mansion?
13. With whom does Carlos see Fidel in person, as discussed in Chapter 38?
(a) Louis XVI.
(b) His grandfather Amador.
14. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
(a) The sound of its explosion.
(b) Its appearance.
(c) Its taste.
(d) Its smell.
15. Who creates the cheer that makes fun of the young Revolutionary soldiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes before Marie Antoinette is about to meet her boys in the United States?
2. What do the water tanks face?
3. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
4. What is in the pool that Carlos is observing in the beginning of Chapter 31?
5. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)