|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Carlos see Fidel in person, as discussed in Chapter 38?
(b) His grandfather Amador.
(d) Louis XVI.
2. What feeling does this chapter express?
3. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
4. Whose screaming diverts the villain's attention in Chapter 32?
(a) Aunt Lucía's.
(c) Marie Antoinette's.
(d) El Loco's.
5. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
(a) The sound of its explosion.
(b) Its taste.
(c) Its appearance.
(d) Its smell.
6. According to the reports of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in Chapter 29, who has been arrested?
(a) The Jamaican man.
(d) Aunt Lucía.
7. In Chapter 38, what is described as "rivers of sludge"?
(a) The runoff from a hard rain.
(b) The ocean.
(d) The runway at the airport.
8. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
(a) Plastic tubing.
(c) Iron filings.
9. What is Carlos doing at the beginning of Chapter 40?
(d) Teaching a class.
10. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
(a) Being abused by Ernesto.
(b) Realizing that his father prefers Ernesto.
(c) Leaving Cuba.
(d) Being bitten by a scorpion.
11. What is the name of Carlos's best friend in Chapter 27?
(c) María Josefa.
12. As Carlos notes in Chapter 34, who would have called the boys' peashooting incident an act of "caritas"?
(a) Saint Augustine.
(b) Saint Thomas Aquinas.
(c) Saint Jerome.
(d) Gregory the Great.
13. Carlos states that after the incident related in Chapter 32, he became as "paranoid" as which character?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
14. What does Carlos do at the beautiful house?
(a) He reads books.
(b) He plays baseball.
(c) He plays soccer.
(d) He watches movies.
15. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
(a) Virgil's Place.
(b) La quincena.
(c) The fishbowl.
(d) The wailing room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the passport photos for Carlos and Tony?
2. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
3. What does Carlos do on the morning of the day he leaves Cuba?
4. How high is the cliff over which the boys and Louis XVI frequently go?
5. Which of the children's acquaintances eats breadfruit voluntarily?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)