|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Carlos, next to whom should Ernesto sit in heaven?
(a) Mel Blanc.
(b) Thomas Aquinas.
2. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
(a) A miracle.
(b) A phenomenon.
(c) A fluke.
(d) A hoax.
3. What does Carlos do on the morning of the day he leaves Cuba?
(a) He writes a letter to his grandmother.
(b) He throws breadfruit at his friends.
(c) He roller skates.
(d) He visits the family pantheon.
4. Who is Marie Antoinette's companion during the events of Chapter 39?
(d) Louis XVI.
5. What is in the pool that Carlos is observing in the beginning of Chapter 31?
(b) Manta rays.
6. What does the sound in the beginning of Chapter 29 turn out to be?
(b) An alarm clock.
(d) Armies marching through the street.
7. When does Carlos's school close?
(a) December 1958.
(b) April 1961.
(c) September 1962.
(d) July 1964.
8. Who has an empty pool under his house?
(b) Louis XVI.
(c) Uncle Amado.
(d) Ernesto's birth parents.
9. In Chapter 36, who spends an evening with Fidel?
(a) Aunt Carmela.
(c) Aunt Lily.
10. How many children are eventually exiled from Cuba?
11. Who always wears a tuxedo, cape, and top hat?
(a) The Caballero de París.
(b) El Frecuentemente Borracho.
(c) La Dama del Alba.
(d) El Loco.
12. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
(a) The diving board.
(b) The oceanic event.
(c) Louis XVI.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
13. Who is "capable of poisoning [Carlos's] relationship with [his] father"?
(d) El Loco.
14. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
(a) La quincena.
(b) Virgil's Place.
(c) The wailing room.
(d) The fishbowl.
15. What does Carlos remember best from the year of school he discusses in Chapter 27?
(a) The smell of the chalkboard.
(b) The hair of the girl he liked.
(c) The way the students disappeared.
(d) His penmanship lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
2. In Chapter 32, who else is present while Carlos is talking with the villain?
3. Who creates the cheer that makes fun of the young Revolutionary soldiers?
4. For what do Tony and Carlos search to exchange for pocket change?
5. How high is the cliff over which the boys and Louis XVI frequently go?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)