|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 35, what "never shut[s] up about Ernesto"?
(a) Louis XVI.
(b) The oceanic event.
(c) The diving board.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
2. In Chapter 37, Carlos dreams of having a pool filled with what?
(a) Orange juice.
(b) Chocolate pudding.
(d) Vegetable soup.
3. Carlos states that after the incident related in Chapter 32, he became as "paranoid" as which character?
(b) Marie Antoinette.
4. In Chapter 36, who spends an evening with Fidel?
(a) Aunt Lily.
(b) Aunt Carmela.
5. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
6. What do Carlos and his friends rescue in Chapter 31?
(a) A blowfish.
(b) A parrot fish.
(c) A shark.
(d) A flounder.
7. With whom does Carlos see Fidel in person, as discussed in Chapter 38?
(a) His grandfather Amador.
(c) Louis XVI.
8. Who takes the passport photos for Carlos and Tony?
(a) Puentes Pi.
(b) Torso Lady.
(d) The Jamaican man.
9. What does the woman in Chapter 34 call the boys?
10. What does Carlos remember best from the year of school he discusses in Chapter 27?
(a) The smell of the chalkboard.
(b) His penmanship lessons.
(c) The hair of the girl he liked.
(d) The way the students disappeared.
11. What is the name of Carlos's best friend in Chapter 27?
(a) María Josefa.
12. Whose screaming diverts the villain's attention in Chapter 32?
(b) El Loco's.
(c) Marie Antoinette's.
(d) Aunt Lucía's.
13. For what do Tony and Carlos search to exchange for pocket change?
(a) Old tires.
(c) Aluminum siding.
(d) Old newspapers.
14. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
(a) Its smell.
(b) Its appearance.
(c) Its taste.
(d) The sound of its explosion.
15. As Carlos notes in Chapter 34, who would have called the boys' peashooting incident an act of "caritas"?
(a) Saint Thomas Aquinas.
(b) Saint Jerome.
(c) Gregory the Great.
(d) Saint Augustine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the young Revolutionary soldiers-in-training called?
2. As mentioned in Chapter 40, where does Carlos eventually meet his friend Rafa?
3. What does Carlos experience at night in Chapter 30?
4. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos plan to request when he reaches the United States?
5. When does Carlos's school close?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)