|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is accompanying the villain in Chapter 32?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A chimpanzee.
2. Who says that "evil [...] is the absence of good"?
(a) Meister Eckhart.
(b) The Platonists.
(d) Thomas Aquinas.
3. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
4. What is the oceanic event in Chapter 35?
(a) Parrot fish.
(d) Sea anemone.
5. What is the name of Carlos's best friend in Chapter 27?
(c) María Josefa.
6. For what do Tony and Carlos search to exchange for pocket change?
(a) Aluminum siding.
(b) Old tires.
(c) Old newspapers.
7. In Chapter 38, what is described as "rivers of sludge"?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The runoff from a hard rain.
(d) The runway at the airport.
8. According to Chapter 37, with what is Carlos's Havana "dotted"?
(a) Beautiful women.
(c) Exotic milkshakes.
9. According to the reports of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in Chapter 29, who has been arrested?
(a) The Jamaican man.
(c) Aunt Lucía.
10. Whose screaming diverts the villain's attention in Chapter 32?
(a) Aunt Lucía's.
(b) Marie Antoinette's.
(c) El Loco's.
11. Which astronaut does Carlos see in Chapter 38?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Yuri Gagarin.
(c) Neil Armstrong.
(d) Buzz Aldrin.
12. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos describe as his first death?
(a) Being bitten by a scorpion.
(b) Realizing that his father prefers Ernesto.
(c) Being abused by Ernesto.
(d) Leaving Cuba.
13. What did Aunt Lily receive from her fiancé before he died?
(a) A sapphire ring.
(b) A string of pearls.
(c) A diary.
(d) A fountain pen.
14. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos plan to request when he reaches the United States?
(a) A milkshake.
(b) A Coca-Cola.
(c) A piece of gum.
(d) A hot dog.
15. Which of Carlos's relatives always wears a white suit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carlos doing at the beginning of Chapter 40?
2. When does Carlos's school close?
3. As Chapter 39 opens, what is the crowd calling Marie Antoinette?
4. How many children are eventually exiled from Cuba?
5. What is in the pool that Carlos is observing in the beginning of Chapter 31?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)