|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound is present in Carlos's dreams in the opening of Chapter 29?
(b) Barking dogs.
(d) Air raid sirens.
2. On what character does this chapter focus?
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(d) Louis XVI.
3. What is the place where Carlos lives mentally while he waits to be sent to the United States?
4. Who takes the passport photos for Carlos and Tony?
(a) Torso Lady.
(b) The Jamaican man.
(c) Puentes Pi.
5. How is the weather in the beginning of Chapter 38?
6. What name does Carlos call Ernesto in Chapter ?
(b) Bag of bones.
7. What is the only memory that Carlos is not able to repress through denial?
(c) Louis XVI's preference of art over family.
(d) Seeing Fidel.
8. Who is "capable of poisoning [Carlos's] relationship with [his] father"?
(b) El Loco.
9. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
(b) Iron filings.
(d) Plastic tubing.
10. Who has an empty pool under his house?
(a) Uncle Amado.
(c) Ernesto's birth parents.
(d) Louis XVI.
11. What are the young Revolutionary soldiers-in-training called?
(a) Communist Youth.
(c) Junior Axmen.
(d) Los Communistas Militantes.
12. What aspect of the breadfruit "[speaks] of swamps, ooze, eggs and sperm, and infinite reproduction"?
(a) The sound of its explosion.
(b) Its smell.
(c) Its taste.
(d) Its appearance.
13. For what do Tony and Carlos search to exchange for pocket change?
(b) Old tires.
(c) Old newspapers.
(d) Aluminum siding.
14. In Chapter 32, who else is present while Carlos is talking with the villain?
15. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Carlos, next to whom should Ernesto sit in heaven?
2. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
3. Approximately how old is the villain in Chapter 32?
4. How many women live in the beautiful house of which Chapter 36 speaks?
5. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)