|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 37 discusses, with what object does Carlos work when he takes a summer job at Marie Antoinette's factory?
(a) Iron filings.
(d) Plastic tubing.
2. How many children are eventually exiled from Cuba?
3. What is the most noticeable thing about the woman mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 34?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her rear end.
(c) Her large feet.
(d) The color of her shirt.
4. What does the sound in the beginning of Chapter 29 turn out to be?
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) Armies marching through the street.
5. What does Carlos experience at night in Chapter 30?
(a) Night terrors.
(b) Intense mosquito bites.
(d) Sleep apnea.
6. What does the woman in Chapter 34 call the boys?
7. What is the name for counter-Revolutionaries, as mentioned in Chapter 29?
8. As mentioned in Chapter 40, where does Carlos eventually meet his friend Rafa?
9. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
(a) The fishbowl.
(b) La quincena.
(c) The wailing room.
(d) Virgil's Place.
10. According to Fidel as mentioned in Chapter 38, who is "evil"?
11. When does Carlos's school close?
(a) December 1958.
(b) April 1961.
(c) September 1962.
(d) July 1964.
12. Who always wears a tuxedo, cape, and top hat?
(a) El Frecuentemente Borracho.
(b) El Loco.
(c) The Caballero de París.
(d) La Dama del Alba.
13. In Chapter 36, who spends an evening with Fidel?
(b) Aunt Lily.
(d) Aunt Carmela.
14. What is the only memory that Carlos is not able to repress through denial?
(b) Louis XVI's preference of art over family.
(d) Seeing Fidel.
15. What does Carlos do on the morning of the day he leaves Cuba?
(a) He roller skates.
(b) He writes a letter to his grandmother.
(c) He throws breadfruit at his friends.
(d) He visits the family pantheon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that "evil [...] is the absence of good"?
2. Where is the pool that Carlos is observing in Chapter 31?
3. Carlos mentions in Chapter 27 that his beloved teacher told his mother he has the nicest what?
4. What do the boys shoot through their blowguns?
5. By Chapter 35, which of Carlos's friends is already in the United States?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)