|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family that temporarily adopts Carlos in Miami?
2. What does Fidel drink in Chapter 36?
3. How many women live in the beautiful house of which Chapter 36 speaks?
4. When describing the size of breadfruit, Carlos compares them to what?
(a) A softball.
(b) A small melon.
(c) A golf ball.
(d) A large apple.
5. What is Carlos doing at the beginning of Chapter 40?
(a) Teaching a class.
6. Who is Marie Antoinette's companion during the events of Chapter 39?
(b) Louis XVI.
7. What did Aunt Lily receive from her fiancé before he died?
(a) A fountain pen.
(b) A diary.
(c) A string of pearls.
(d) A sapphire ring.
8. What is the most noticeable thing about the woman mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 34?
(a) The color of her shirt.
(b) Her rear end.
(c) Her hat.
(d) Her large feet.
9. To which organization do Tony and Carlos belong, until they realize it has too many rules?
(b) Cub Scouts.
(c) Hitler Youth.
(d) Future Homemakers of America.
10. In Chapter 40, what does Carlos plan to request when he reaches the United States?
(a) A piece of gum.
(b) A Coca-Cola.
(c) A milkshake.
(d) A hot dog.
11. Which person would never have noticed Carlos's teacher at the co-ed school?
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Fidel Castro.
12. What is the nickname of the pool man at the beach club to which Manuel and Rafael belong?
(b) El Loco.
(d) El Soldado.
13. Who says that "evil [...] is the absence of good"?
(b) Meister Eckhart.
(c) Thomas Aquinas.
(d) The Platonists.
14. What is the oceanic event in Chapter 35?
(b) Parrot fish.
(c) Sea anemone.
15. In Chapter 37, Carlos dreams of having a pool filled with what?
(a) Orange juice.
(b) Vegetable soup.
(d) Chocolate pudding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname for the place where the boys wait in the airport?
2. What does the Jamaican man sell?
3. By Chapter 35, which of Carlos's friends is already in the United States?
4. In Chapter 35, what does Carlos call the oceanic event he is witnessing?
5. Carlos wishes that what animal would eat Ernesto?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)