|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the women in the book are looking for "symmetrical relationships"?
(a) Ellen and Johnnetta.
(b) None of the wome.
(c) Alice and Joan.
(d) All of the women.
2. At which hospital did Joan first create an activities program?
3. Which popular television program filmed at Spelman College weeks before Johnnetta earned her post?
(a) Sanford and Sons
(b) The Cosby Show.
(c) Diff'rent Strokes.
(d) The Parkers.
4. Which of the following topics is of most interest to Ellen?
(b) World hunger.
(c) Animal welfare.
(d) Drug safety and administration.
5. What devalued the role of "mother" in the mid 1900s?
(a) The fact that women often hated it.
(b) The fact that fathers wanted nothing to do with it.
(c) The fact that the children often misbehaved.
(d) The fact that it was unpaid.
6. Where does Jack live?
(b) San Francisco.
7. What type of poetry was Mary studying when she first met her husband, Barkev?
(a) Japanese haiku.
(b) Shakespearean verse.
(c) Arabic poetry.
(d) British rhyming slang.
8. What does Bateson claim helps a woman "discover underlying convictions that are steady throughout life"?
(a) Extracting common ground.
(b) Honoring generations past.
(c) Living life improvisationally.
(d) Adhering to traditional gender roles.
9. Which of the following characteristics most drew Alice to Jack when they met?
(a) His artistic passion.
(b) His dashing good looks.
(c) His love for animals.
(d) His generous bank account.
10. In which country did Alice grow up?
11. What does Alice believe is the art form of the 21st century?
12. Which of the following women most frequently collaborates with her husband on professional projects?
13. According to Ellen, why do more women work in the ERs in Boston than men?
(a) Men are forbidden from working in Boston ERs.
(b) Women are given first choice of hours they want to work.
(c) Women don't want to be perceived as weak.
(d) Women want the higher paying hours.
14. Which of Bateson's parents left for long work duties during the war?
(a) Both her parents.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Neither of her parents.
15. How old was Joan at the time of her interviews for the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice do for a living?
2. Which of the women in the book does Bateson claim is the least domestic and never had children?
3. How many role models does Bateson believe each woman should have in her life?
4. Which of the following best describes the way the women in the text will "compose their lives"?
5. How many different ways does Johnnetta believe there are to "be black", particularly if one is a black woman?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)