|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what decade did the consciousness of women begin to be raised about inequality?
(a) The 1970s.
(b) The 1960s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1940s.
2. Which of the women in the book does Bateson claim is the least domestic and never had children?
3. In what city were Joan and Erik married?
4. Which of the following characteristics most drew Alice to Jack when they met?
(a) His artistic passion.
(b) His generous bank account.
(c) His dashing good looks.
(d) His love for animals.
5. Which of the following does Bateson cherish above all else?
(a) Individual happiness.
(b) Static goals.
(c) Improvisational art.
(d) Traditional gender roles.
6. What was significant about Johnnetta's position as president of Spelman College?
(a) She was the first African-American to earn the post.
(b) She was the first African-American AND the first woman to earn the post.
(c) She was the first woman to earn the post.
(d) She was the first African-American woman to earn the post.
7. What does the term "tweeded" refer to?
(a) An aversion to change.
(b) A manner of dress.
(c) A mindset.
(d) All of the answers are true.
8. To Mary, what does American culture mean?
(a) Remembering one's cultural history and honoring it.
(b) Incorporating the cultures of those around us.
(c) Forgetting cultural pasts and creating a new future.
(d) Mary does not have an opinion on American culture.
9. In what year did Johnnetta and her husband move to Liberia?
10. Which of the women Mary interviewed is the oldest woman in the book?
11. Which of the following women is not married to her partner??
12. Which of the women coined the term "tweeded"?
13. Which of Mary's grandparents was a scientist?
(a) Her maternal grandmother.
(b) Her paternal grandfather.
(c) Her paternal grandmother.
(d) Her maternal grandfather.
14. Which of the following women is interested in jewelry making?
15. Which of the following values does Bateson say is "inappropriate in today's constantly changing world"?
(c) Gender roles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article of clothing did Johnnetta receive as a joke from not one but two friends after earning her position as president of Spelman College?
2. What was the name of Joan's first book?
3. According to Bateson, what do humans tend to believe about society?
4. How many role models does Bateson believe each woman should have in her life?
5. What does Bateson believe will be the result of "a commitment to constantly refocusing one's life"?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)