|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Mary's grandparents was a scientist?
(a) Her maternal grandmother.
(b) Her paternal grandmother.
(c) Her paternal grandfather.
(d) Her maternal grandfather.
2. Which of the following does Bateson cherish above all else?
(a) Improvisational art.
(b) Static goals.
(c) Traditional gender roles.
(d) Individual happiness.
3. Which of the following subjects did Erik study?
(a) Animal mating rituals.
(b) The celibacy of nuns.
(c) Cross pollination.
(d) Childhood sexuality.
4. Which of the following animals does Joan often compare herself to?
(a) A starfish.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cat.
(d) An elephant.
5. Whose memoir was Mary working on when she first met Ellen in 1983?
(a) Her own.
(b) Her deceased brother's.
(c) Her grandmother's.
(d) Her parents'.
6. What was the name of Joan's first book?
(a) "The Universal Thread".
(b) "The Universal Button".
(c) "The Universal Quilt".
(d) "The Universal Bead".
7. Which popular television program filmed at Spelman College weeks before Johnnetta earned her post?
(a) The Parkers.
(b) Diff'rent Strokes.
(c) Sanford and Sons
(d) The Cosby Show.
8. How old was Joan at the time of her interviews for the book?
9. What does Bateson believe will be the result of "a commitment to constantly refocusing one's life"?
(a) Ultimate success.
(b) Social freedom.
10. Which of the women Mary interviewed is the youngest woman in the book?
11. According to Mary, what does a quilt keep out?
(c) The cold.
12. Which of the following does Mary believe everyone in a relationship should strive for?
13. What was significant about Johnnetta's position as president of Spelman College?
(a) She was the first African-American woman to earn the post.
(b) She was the first African-American AND the first woman to earn the post.
(c) She was the first African-American to earn the post.
(d) She was the first woman to earn the post.
14. Which of the following metaphors runs through the entire first chapter of the text?
(a) That life is like needlework.
(b) That life is like building a fire.
(c) That life is like a box of chocolates.
(d) That life is like a sunset.
15. How many different ways does Johnnetta believe there are to "be black", particularly if one is a black woman?
(a) Innumerable ways.
(b) One way.
(c) Two ways.
(d) Three ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives did NOT describe Ellen when she was giving a lecture at the Bunting colloquium, which Mary attended?
2. According to Bateson, which of the following is NOT a necessary element to "nurture ideas and institutions"?
3. Which of the following types of individuals tend to avoid "traditional" lives?
4. Which of Bateson's parents left for long work duties during the war?
5. According to Bateson, in what way is modern day life similar to studying a foreign language?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)