|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do both Ellen and Steve do for a living?
(a) They are psychiatrists.
(b) They are writers.
(c) They are painters.
(d) They are teachers.
2. How many books did Ellen and Steve collaborate on during their marriage?
3. Which of the following art forms is NOT one Mary's grandfather collected when she was a child?
4. On the whole, how does Bateson believe American society treats marriage?
(c) With no respect.
5. What is necessary to produce a fruitful academic relationship?
(a) One must acadmically stimulate their colleagues.
(b) One must take the lead in all acadmic social situations.
(c) One mustn't pose a threat to their colleagues.
(d) One must critique the other's work.
6. Which of the women coined the term "tweeded"?
7. How many children did Joan and Erik have together?
8. What religion did all four of Mary's grandparents follow?
9. What does Bateson describe as a constant riddle?
(c) Gender roles.
10. How did the doctors respond to Joan's activities program?
(a) They ignored Joan and the program completely.
(b) They were slow to recognize it.
(c) They treated her equally, with great respect.
(d) They were astounded that a woman could create such a successful program.
11. According to Ellen, why do more women work in the ERs in Boston than men?
(a) Women want the higher paying hours.
(b) Men are forbidden from working in Boston ERs.
(c) Women don't want to be perceived as weak.
(d) Women are given first choice of hours they want to work.
12. What was significant about Johnnetta's position as president of Spelman College?
(a) She was the first African-American AND the first woman to earn the post.
(b) She was the first African-American woman to earn the post.
(c) She was the first woman to earn the post.
(d) She was the first African-American to earn the post.
13. According to Mary, why did many women get married before the intellectual movement?
(a) Because they had no other choice.
(b) Because society looked down on women workers.
(c) Because the government cut taxes for married couples.
(d) Because women back then loved to have children.
14. Which of the following does Bateson cherish above all else?
(a) Individual happiness.
(b) Traditional gender roles.
(c) Static goals.
(d) Improvisational art.
15. Which of the following subjects did Erik study?
(a) The celibacy of nuns.
(b) Animal mating rituals.
(c) Childhood sexuality.
(d) Cross pollination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Joan use to describe her relationship with the doctors after the inclusion of her activities program?
2. Whose memoir was Mary working on when she first met Ellen in 1983?
3. Which of the following riddles is NOT included in the first chapter of the text?
4. What subject does Mary tackle with her metaphor of a "crazy quilt"?
5. What is Joan's main priority in life?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)