|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mr. Jolly when he died?
2. What was Noe's husband's name?
3. How old was the pathology assistant who did the dissection for the autopsy Gawande observed at the beginning of "Final Cut"?
4. Where did Amy Fitzpatrick and her husband drive for Easter?
5. How old was Noe's husband when she plead to guilty to killing her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean that "there is an art to being a patient"?
2. What are some ways that people have gotten necrotizing fasciitis?
3. What types of situations made Drury blush?
4. When did Lazaroff first learn what was wrong?
5. Were Fitzpatrick's twins healthy when they were born?
6. When Gawande was seeing patients with a surgery professor, what words surprised him?
7. Describe the dissecting room and location where Gawande observed an autopsy.
8. Describe Amy Fitzgerald's first experience with nausea during her pregnancy.
9. What are the dangers of surgery for a morbidly obese person?
10. What is a core predicament in medicine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast diagnosis of illness and evaluation of tests using machines and using humans. Use examples from Complications.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, argue whether child abuse can or cannot be proven using scientific methods.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the physician's dodge and why Gawande believes that it is a necessary part of medical training.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)