|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mr. Jolly when he died?
2. In what country is it controversial to keep the internal organs of the deceased after an autopsy?
3. How many pregnant woman who are employed miss work because of morning sickness?
4. Approximately how many cases of necrotizing fasciitis occur in the entire United States each year?
5. How long before seeing Bratton had Gawande seen a man with necrotizing fasciitis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the surgery involve that Drury had in order to stop blushing?
2. What was Christine Drury's first job at Channel 13 News in Indianapolis?
3. What types of situations made Drury blush?
4. When Gawande was seeing patients with a surgery professor, what words surprised him?
5. What is a core predicament in medicine?
6. What happened to the babies born to Marie Noe?
7. What may cause babies to die from SIDS?
8. Why couldn't Caselli be anesthetized lying down?
9. Were Fitzpatrick's twins healthy when they were born?
10. At the turn of the century, how did prominent physicians begin to win popular support for the practice of autopsy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, explain why Gawande believes that medicine is an imperfect science.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the pros and cons of automation in medicine and why some doctors believe medicine cannot be automated. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether gastric-bypass surgery is or is not a successful way to lose weight. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)