|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the surgeon's conference held that Gawande attended?
2. What country bans surgeons from practicing on animals?
3. When did a man examine a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
4. Who was the chief resident in charge of the procedure on a teenage knifing victim?
5. What time of day was it when Gawande had to leave the procedure on a teenage knifing victim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Terribly Quiet Chat and how effective can one be?
2. How do surgeons learn to do new procedures once they are out of training?
3. What did Gawande have in his pockets during his first weeks of surgical training?
4. What type of complications had occurred from residents putting in a central line?
5. Are doctors usually superstitious?
6. What is the secret of Shouldice Hospital's success with hernia repairs?
7. What is an EKG?
8. What was the first program that Gawande attended at the surgeons convention?
9. Why aren't compassion and technology necessarily incompatible?
10. Why does it take so long before colleagues take effective action against a bad doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the pros and cons of automation in medicine and why some doctors believe medicine cannot be automated. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the physician's dodge and why Gawande believes that it is a necessary part of medical training.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the two meanings of the title Complications. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)