|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Gawande attend medical school?
(a) Early 1980s.
(b) Late 1990s.
(c) Late 1980s.
(d) Early 1990s.
2. How long before seeing Bratton had Gawande seen a man with necrotizing fasciitis?
(a) 2 days before.
(b) 3 week before.
(c) A few weeks before.
(d) 5 days before.
3. How many cases of cellulitis occur in the entire United States each year?
(a) About 550,000.
(b) About 750,000.
(c) About 2 million.
(d) Over 3 million.
4. In what country is it controversial to keep the internal organs of the deceased after an autopsy?
5. How old was the pathology assistant who did the dissection for the autopsy Gawande observed at the beginning of "Final Cut"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Harvard psychologist William James observe that certain deaf people were immune to seasickness?
2. How many months after Joseph Lazaroff began having problems was a scan ordered?
3. When was one of the earliest forensic examinations performed?
4. Since 1998, how many operations have been performed to stop severe blushing?
5. By what age do most of the SIDS deaths occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Gawande was seeing patients with a surgery professor, what words surprised him?
2. What two options did Lazaroff have to deal with the metastasis that was compressing his thoracic spinal cord?
3. What are the dangers of surgery for a morbidly obese person?
4. At the turn of the century, how did prominent physicians begin to win popular support for the practice of autopsy?
5. What does Gawande say was the relationship between doctor and patient over a decade ago?
6. Why couldn't Caselli be anesthetized lying down?
7. Describe Amy Fitzgerald's first experience with nausea during her pregnancy.
8. What types of situations made Drury blush?
9. What happened to the babies born to Marie Noe?
10. When did Lazaroff first learn what was wrong?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)