|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percent of the population does a crude estimate suggest are afflicted with severe blushing?
(a) 5 to 10 percent.
(b) 1 to 7 percent.
(c) About 2 percent.
(d) About 8 percent.
2. When did Gawande attend medical school?
(a) Late 1990s.
(b) Early 1980s.
(c) Early 1990s.
(d) Late 1980s.
3. How long had Gawande's daughter Hunter been home before she became ill?
(a) A week.
(b) 8 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
4. What was the first indication Joseph Lazaroff had that something might be physically wrong with him?
(a) A wound that would not heal.
(b) Terrible headaches.
(c) A backache.
(d) A large lump under his arm.
5. How much weight did Lazaroff lose in a few months?
(a) About 30 pounds.
(b) Over 75 pounds.
(c) Over 50 pounds.
(d) About 20 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were Fitzpatrick's twins born?
2. When was Marie Noe giving birth to her children?
3. What was the name of Lazaroff's son?
4. How many of Noe's children died?
5. What was Victor Caselli's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gawande say was the relationship between doctor and patient over a decade ago?
2. What do studies show about the chances of obese adults and obese children to lose weight and keep it off?
3. What two options did Lazaroff have to deal with the metastasis that was compressing his thoracic spinal cord?
4. At the turn of the century, how did prominent physicians begin to win popular support for the practice of autopsy?
5. Describe the dissecting room and location where Gawande observed an autopsy.
6. When did Lazaroff first learn what was wrong?
7. What did the surgery involve that Drury had in order to stop blushing?
8. When Gawande was seeing patients with a surgery professor, what words surprised him?
9. What happened to the babies born to Marie Noe?
10. Were Fitzpatrick's twins healthy when they were born?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)