|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years of training did Gawande require to be a general surgeon?
2. What was Quinlan's occupation?
(b) Construction supervisor.
(d) Construction worker.
3. How many salespeople attended the surgeons convention?
4. What was wrong with Lee Tran?
(b) A tumor.
(d) The flu.
5. How many operating rooms are at Shouldice Hospital?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the chief resident in charge of the procedure on a teenage knifing victim?
2. How many studies did Gawande find when doing a computer search to attempt to identify "circalunidian" cycles?
3. How much might it cost in most hospitals to repair a hernia?
4. Who originated the explanation of pain that has dominated much of medical history?
5. What was wrong with the woman who Gawande saw in the emergency room on his first day as a surgical resident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of complications had occurred from residents putting in a central line?
2. What are some problems with malpractice suits as a remedy for preventing harm to patients?
3. What is the physician's dodge and why is it necessary?
4. What is the Texas-sharpshooter fallacy?
5. What is a Terribly Quiet Chat and how effective can one be?
6. How is Shouldice Hospital designed for hernia patients?
7. What was Hank Goodman's reputation before he lost his license?
8. Why aren't compassion and technology necessarily incompatible?
9. Where can doctors candidly discuss medical mistakes?
10. Are doctors usually superstitious?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)