|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages were in the book that listed the schedule of programs at the surgeons convention?
2. What time of day was it when Gawande had to leave the procedure on a teenage knifing victim?
(b) 2 a.m.
(c) 10 p.m.
3. What worked at first to ease Quinlan's pain?
(b) Epidural injections.
4. When did Quinlan fall off a plank at a construction site?
5. What was Dr. Richard Sang's practice before he came to Shouldice?
(b) Family Practice.
(c) General surgeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of surgery had the patient who needed a central line had a week earlier?
2. What was Quinlan's occupation?
3. How long do hernia operations take at Shouldice Hospital?
4. What did Jack Nicklaus always have to have in his pocket when he played golf?
5. What branch of military service did Goodman serve in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there often no mechanical explanation for severe back pain?
2. Why did Gawande have to leave a teenage knifing victim and go tend to another emergency?
3. Are doctors usually superstitious?
4. What was the first program that Gawande attended at the surgeons convention?
5. Why did Rowland Scott Quinlan have to give up his firm to his partners?
6. Why was there no reason to operate on Quinlan's back?
7. Why do many experts believe that the M&M is a shabby approach to analyzing error and improving performance in medicine?
8. Why was Gawande concerned about the patient who had been shot in the buttock?
9. What is an EKG?
10. Why does it take so long before colleagues take effective action against a bad doctor?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)