|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much do hernia operations cost at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) About twice what they cost elsewhere.
(b) About one-third of what they cost elsewhere.
(c) Half what they cost elsewhere.
(d) About one-fourth of what they cost elsewhere.
2. How many salespeople attended the surgeons convention?
3. During what year of his training does Gawande have a chance to attend a surgeons convention?
(a) 6th year.
(b) 7th year.
(c) 5th year.
(d) 8th year.
4. How old was the patient Gawande saw while on trauma duty who had been shot in the buttock?
5. What type of surgery had the patient who needed a central line had a week earlier?
(a) Removal of his appendix.
(b) Abdominal surgery.
(c) Heart surgery.
(d) Hernia surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take a man to examine a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
2. How many patients a day did Goodman's physician's assistant say the man would see and not spend more than five minutes with them?
3. On an EKG, what is the downstroke at the start of a heart beat called?
4. What was Quinlan's occupation?
5. How old was the former orthopedic surgeon that Gawande writes about in "When Good Doctors Go Bad"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there no reason to operate on Quinlan's back?
2. Why did Gawande recommend removing the appendix of a thirty-nine-year-old woman who did not fit the pattern for appendicitis?
3. What did Gawande have in his pockets during his first weeks of surgical training?
4. What is the secret of Shouldice Hospital's success with hernia repairs?
5. What was it like at Gawande's hospital when it was time for the annual surgeons convention?
6. Where can doctors candidly discuss medical mistakes?
7. Why was Gawande concerned about the patient who had been shot in the buttock?
8. What did Gawande watch during the afternoon of his first day at the surgeons convention?
9. What was Hank Goodman's reputation before he lost his license?
10. Why is there often no mechanical explanation for severe back pain?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)