|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Goodman make in a year when he was doing well?
2. How long might it take in most hospitals to repair a hernia?
(a) 90 minutes.
(b) 1 hours.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 45 minutes.
3. For over a decade, how many hours did Goodman work a week?
(d) 80-100 hours.
4. How many times had the surgeons conference been held?
(a) 108 times.
(b) 79 times.
(c) 86 times.
(d) 93 times.
5. How many patients a day did Goodman's physician's assistant say the man would see and not spend more than five minutes with them?
6. What was wrong with Lee Tran?
(b) The flu.
(c) A tumor.
7. What was wrong with the woman who Gawande saw in the emergency room on his first day as a surgical resident?
(a) Had a fractured finger.
(b) Had a fractured ankle.
(c) Had a 3-inch screw in her foot.
(d) Had a piece of wire in her hand.
8. How many central lines did Gawande try before succeeding on his own?
9. What worked at first to ease Quinlan's pain?
(d) Epidural injections.
10. For luck, what did Michael Jordon always wear under his Chicago Bulls uniform?
(a) Heart boxer shorts.
(b) Blue boxer shorts.
(c) Striped boxer shorts.
(d) North Carolina boxer shorts.
11. What were the occupations of Gawande's parents?
12. Where did Gawande grow up?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) Alpena, Michigan.
(c) Athens, Ohio.
(d) Atlantic, Iowa.
13. When was it first suggested that a computer could read an EKG better than a human could?
14. How much do hernia operations cost at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) About one-fourth of what they cost elsewhere.
(b) About twice what they cost elsewhere.
(c) Half what they cost elsewhere.
(d) About one-third of what they cost elsewhere.
15. Who introduced the term "health-care focused factory"?
(a) Rochelle Meslinger.
(b) Ramona Wyatt.
(c) Regina Herzlinger.
(d) Rachel Erlinger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the patient who needed a central line?
2. How many hospital patients suffered complications from treatment that prolonged their hospital stay or resulted in disability or death according to a Harvard Medical Practice Study in 1991?
3. How long did it take a man to examine a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
4. At what hotel was Gawande staying for the surgeon's convention?
5. How old was the patient Gawande saw while on trauma duty who had been shot in the buttock?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)