|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of workers' compensation payments are paid to sufferers of back pain?
(a) 25 percent.
(b) 80 percent.
(c) 35 percent.
(d) 40 percent.
2. What percent of Americans does a 1995 poll show believe that the moon alters individual behavior?
(a) 16 percent.
(b) 38 percent.
(c) 57 percent.
(d) 43 percent.
3. Who was the gynecologist from Ohio who subjected hundreds of women when they had been anesthetized for other procedures to bizarre disfiguring procedures that he called the Surgery of Love?
(a) Charles Neeley.
(b) James Burt.
(c) Branson Smith.
(d) David Zaner.
4. How many years of training did Gawande require to be a general surgeon?
5. At what hotel was Gawande staying for the surgeon's convention?
(a) Embassy Suites.
(b) Best Western.
(c) Hyatt Regency.
6. Who examined a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against the computer?
(a) Hans Ohlin.
(b) Henrich Wagner.
(c) John Brighton.
(d) Andrew Weaver.
7. How long might it take in most hospitals to repair a hernia?
(a) 1 hours.
(b) 45 minutes.
(c) 90 minutes.
(d) 2 hours.
8. When did a man examine a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
9. During what year of his training does Gawande have a chance to attend a surgeons convention?
(a) 7th year.
(b) 8th year.
(c) 5th year.
(d) 6th year.
10. How many surgeons attended the American College of Surgeons convention?
11. How long after Bryce Shouldice left medical school did he begin performing hernia operations at Shouldice?
(a) Right from medical school.
(b) About 2 years after finishing medical school.
(c) About a year after finishing medical school.
(d) 18 months after finishing medical school.
12. What did Turk Wendell insist that his salary be for the 1999 season?
13. How do patients leave the operating room at Shouldice after having surgery?
(a) They walk out of the room.
(b) They are taken on a gurney.
(c) They use a walker.
(d) They leave in a wheelchair.
14. When installing a central line, how long is the wire that is inserted into the vein toward the vena cava ?
(a) 3 feet long.
(b) 2 feet long.
(c) 15 inches long.
(d) 12 inches long.
15. What book did British psychologist James Reason write about errors?
(a) No Room for Error.
(b) Human Error.
(c) Errors and Medicine.
(d) Fatal System Error.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many salespeople attended the surgeons convention?
2. What worked at first to ease Quinlan's pain?
3. What was wrong with Lee Tran?
4. How old was the patient who needed a central line?
5. How many pages were in the book that listed the schedule of programs at the surgeons convention?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)