|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percent of patients with heart attacks who are seen in emergency rooms are mistakenly discharged?
(a) About 10 percent.
(b) Between 1 and 5 percent.
(c) Between 2 and 8 percent.
(d) About 25 percent.
2. How many electrocardiograms did a man examine to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
3. During what year of his training does Gawande have a chance to attend a surgeons convention?
(a) 6th year.
(b) 8th year.
(c) 5th year.
(d) 7th year.
4. On an EKG, what is the downstroke at the start of a heart beat called?
(a) Q wave.
(b) T wave.
(c) R wave.
(d) S wave.
5. What was Dr. Richard Sang's practice before he came to Shouldice?
(a) Family Practice.
(d) General surgeon.
6. What type of surgery had the patient who needed a central line had a week earlier?
(a) Heart surgery.
(b) Abdominal surgery.
(c) Hernia surgery.
(d) Removal of his appendix.
7. Who is the doctor who was convicted of murdering fifteen patients with lethal doses of narcotics?
(a) Harold Shipman.
(b) Gary Manson.
(c) Henry Whitman.
(d) David Andreson.
8. How large was the fourth patient that Gawande had to insert a central line?
(a) About 250 pounds.
(b) Over 300 pounds.
(c) About 195 pounds.
(d) About 380 pounds.
9. How many years of training did Gawande require to be a general surgeon?
10. How many scientific studies did Gawande find that assessed whether or not luck actually does go bad on Friday the thirteenth?
11. How much money did Goodman make in a year when he was doing well?
12. What type of a local anesthetic did the chief resident use when she put in a central line?
13. How long did it take a man to examine a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
(a) 2 days.
(b) A week.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
14. How much do hernia operations cost at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) Half what they cost elsewhere.
(b) About one-third of what they cost elsewhere.
(c) About twice what they cost elsewhere.
(d) About one-fourth of what they cost elsewhere.
15. How long might it take in most hospitals to repair a hernia?
(a) 90 minutes.
(b) 1 hours.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 2 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the chief resident in charge of the procedure on a teenage knifing victim?
2. How do patients leave the operating room at Shouldice after having surgery?
3. How many minutes without oxygen could lead to brain damage and perhaps death?
4. What is the fear of Friday the thirteenth called?
5. When installing a central line, how long is the wire that is inserted into the vein toward the vena cava ?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)