|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - Nine Thousand Surgeons.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the woman that Gawande saw in the emergency room his first day as a surgical resident?
(a) Late 20s.
(b) Early 30s.
(c) About 40.
(d) Mid 30s.
2. Who first proposed that a computer could read an EKG better than a human could?
(a) David Angston.
(b) Lars Edenbrandt.
(c) Michael Bartholomew.
(d) William Baxt.
3. Who was the chief resident in charge of the procedure on a teenage knifing victim?
(a) Alex Dilmer.
(b) Andrew Brigham.
(c) Jon Lopez.
(d) David Hernandez.
4. How many companies were registered in attendance at the surgeons convention?
(a) About 1700 companies.
(b) Around 300 companies.
(c) About 900 companies.
(d) Some 1200 companies.
5. Where did Gawande grow up?
(a) Atlanta, Georgia.
(b) Alpena, Michigan.
(c) Atlantic, Iowa.
(d) Athens, Ohio.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many operating rooms are at Shouldice Hospital?
2. During what year of his training does Gawande have a chance to attend a surgeons convention?
3. What was the woman's alcohol level that Gawande had to attend to on a crisp winter Friday?
4. What book did British psychologist James Reason write about errors?
5. How old was the patient who needed a central line?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)