|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - The Computer and the Hernia Factor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country bans surgeons from practicing on animals?
(c) New Zealand.
2. How long do hernia operations take at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) About 90 minutes.
(b) 20-25 minutes.
(c) 30-45 minutes.
(d) About an hour.
3. What was wrong with the woman who Gawande saw in the emergency room on his first day as a surgical resident?
(a) Had a piece of wire in her hand.
(b) Had a fractured ankle.
(c) Had a fractured finger.
(d) Had a 3-inch screw in her foot.
4. What were the occupations of Gawande's parents?
5. When was it first suggested that a computer could read an EKG better than a human could?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Dr. Richard Sang's practice before he came to Shouldice?
2. How old was the patient Gawande saw while on trauma duty who had been shot in the buttock?
3. How many central lines did Gawande try before succeeding on his own?
4. How old was the patient who needed a central line?
5. How long is the apprenticeship at Shouldice Hospital?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)