|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - The Computer and the Hernia Factor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many operating rooms are at Shouldice Hospital?
2. What percent of patients with heart attacks who are seen in emergency rooms are mistakenly discharged?
(a) About 25 percent.
(b) Between 2 and 8 percent.
(c) About 10 percent.
(d) Between 1 and 5 percent.
3. How old was the patient Gawande saw while on trauma duty who had been shot in the buttock?
4. On an EKG, what is the downstroke at the start of a heart beat called?
(a) Q wave.
(b) T wave.
(c) R wave.
(d) S wave.
5. How large was the fourth patient that Gawande had to insert a central line?
(a) About 380 pounds.
(b) About 250 pounds.
(c) About 195 pounds.
(d) Over 300 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do patients leave the operating room at Shouldice after having surgery?
2. When installing a central line, how long is the wire that is inserted into the vein toward the vena cava ?
3. What type of a local anesthetic did the chief resident use when she put in a central line?
4. What color of blood indicates that the central line is inserted properly?
5. What type of surgery had the patient who needed a central line had a week earlier?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)