|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - The Computer and the Hernia Factor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surgery did Gawande assist with for a seventy-five-year-old woman?
(a) Surgery to remove pancreatic cancer.
(b) Surgery to put a screw in a broken leg.
(c) Surgery to remove colon cancer.
(d) Surgery to remove an appendix.
2. How long did it take a man to examine a stack of electrocardiograms to test his diagnostic skills against a computer?
(a) A week.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
3. How long is the apprenticeship at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 months.
4. What was wrong with Lee Tran?
(a) The flu.
(d) A tumor.
5. What country bans surgeons from practicing on animals?
(d) New Zealand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the woman that Gawande saw in the emergency room his first day as a surgical resident?
2. What type of a local anesthetic did the chief resident use when she put in a central line?
3. How old was the patient Gawande saw while on trauma duty who had been shot in the buttock?
4. What was Dr. Richard Sang's practice before he came to Shouldice?
5. How much might it cost in most hospitals to repair a hernia?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)