|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - The Computer and the Hernia Factor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did a robotic surgery device cost that Gawande's department purchased?
2. How much do hernia operations cost at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) Half what they cost elsewhere.
(b) About one-third of what they cost elsewhere.
(c) About one-fourth of what they cost elsewhere.
(d) About twice what they cost elsewhere.
3. What were the occupations of Gawande's parents?
4. How long is the apprenticeship at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 18 months.
(d) 2 years.
5. How long do hernia operations take at Shouldice Hospital?
(a) 30-45 minutes.
(b) About 90 minutes.
(c) 20-25 minutes.
(d) About an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percent of patients with heart attacks who are seen in emergency rooms are mistakenly discharged?
2. What was wrong with Lee Tran?
3. What color of blood indicates that the central line is inserted properly?
4. How long after Bryce Shouldice left medical school did he begin performing hernia operations at Shouldice?
5. How large was the fourth patient that Gawande had to insert a central line?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)